Ibanez UEWT5 Tenor

bazmaz

Reaction score
It’s a shame that Ibanez don’t tweak a few things. They make descent playing acoustic guitars so they they are capable of doing what it takes. They make some pretty good electrics.

I like body shape. Sharp frets should never leave a factory especially if doing a big box channel. That could be handled on the line at very little cost, it’s just QC.

Tuners........, they should dump the cheap Metal and put Graphtech planetary tuners on . I read one post where for OEM, they can get the cost down to dollars for tuner.

I don’t like the fact that your sharp edge on body shows white. It does that because of the obvious laminate material. The laminate looks good with sapele stripe so why not use black ABS binding to hid this edge, and eliminate the sharpness. Simple to do on line with a router. How aninstrument feels in your hands is really important. They went to the trouble to bind the fretboard yet ship with sharp fret ends. That can all be handled but like you say, why should you when there are lots of good options out there.

A little care, few tweaks and perhaps even make a sound port standard, just to be different. All these tweaks and care would set them apart and sell ukuleles. Now, no one would be expect more than a laminate sound out of the Uke but lots of people want a beater, or inexpensive Uke to start on.

I’d only buy, if price was lower or found at garage sale..... do some tweak myself , play for awhile and move Uke on to a person who is starting out.

It’s a recognizable name.....IBANEZ. They should stop putting out junk. IMHO.....

I agree with ALL of that. But I guess the reason is - to do all of that does cost more and that would push them into a price point where they can't compete.

In fact, as it is, and as I say in the video - the sound already IMHO falls behind similar priced laminates from BR, Kala, Snail etc. So they would be even more expensive and still sounding not as good.

I think the point I am making is that, rather than tweaking this one up, they need to start with a clean sheet. Either that, or put out at 20% less and just accept that bad ones will get through.

Agreed. I think we are talking about the same thing. Anything will sell at a price! Tweaking while on the line,perhaps shaving the braces could improve sound?. Two pointS, with IBANEZ name and proven ability to put out good inexpensive guitars perhaps a little more focus could sell them a lot more ukes. Second, if tuners are bad, use a cost effective yet better alternative. If edges are sharpe, bind.....or sand but don’t put it out.......or as you say.........just price lower. There is so much that goes into building to get the sound....... you wonder in a crowded market like this, why they let sub par stuff out......

Did I mention, I enjoy your internal camera shot. Nice addition to the review.

Thanks for the reviews.

About that purple heart bridge on the Ibanez UEWT5 Tenor mentioned above:

I was a wood worker for many years. I discovered Purple Heart and started using it to accent the things I made whenever I could find a place to put it! Was totally obsessed for a while...

Then, I discovered something: It fades to brown in about 1 year if exposed to light... even indoors!

Keep this baby is a case if you value that purple hue...

Bill

Interesting Bill

Another wood that changes over time is Cocobolo - you see those super swirly patterned ukuleles a lot. Wonder what they will be like in a few years!!

That's a good point, I'd never considered how the different woods might age cosmetically. Naturally I keep everything of mine out of strong or direct sunlight, but it's interesting to hear that some woods change substantially even under less harsh conditions.

I guess it's more common than we think of. Spruce topped guitars tend to change in colour over the years, but that can be down to the type of finish aging i think (maybe the wood also changes). My spruce topped Taylor 210 is about 15 years old now and is noticeably more orangey in the top colour than when i bought it. It does live on a stand though more than in the case.

Top Bottom