Online lessons baritone ukulele jazz chords

SoCal

Reaction score
Any recommended online tutorials on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for this, roger67. Much appreciated.

Glen Rose has a baritone version for all or most of his "Jazzy Ukulele" material. And I'd definitely recommend him as a great place for most people to start. And if you're looking for a chord resource book to complement this approach, Brad Bordessa's "Ukulele Chord Shapes" is great. (In a workshop, Paul Hemmings notated chord shapes in basically the same way as Bordessa.)

Learning where the root is in every closed/movable chord shape is super valuable if you want to eventually learn lots of jazz chords because most of them are just "tweaks" on three fundamental chords: maj7, min7, dom7. Most chords will have four shapes, so the root can be on any string. So, once you know the four shapes for those three chords, you'll have a solid foundation to build most other chords from.

Personally, I'm glad I've learned most chords without needing to barre them. As they say, "four strings, four fingers." This way you're ready to move one finger up or down a fret to make one of those "tweaked" chords. And you can always barre anything for comfort later. But I think trying to get your fingers to relearn the shapes without barres later would be harder than vice versa.

Wow, that's way more than I expected to share. Hope it helps somebody. Trying to stop lurking and finally give back to this lovely community.

And Roger, thanks for that link. Didn't know about her. The three part vocals on Dream a Little Dream are tasty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom