Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocobolo Ukulele Lottery Sale

Default Cocobolo Ukulele Lottery Sale

I've been on the list for Lottery notification for several weeks and now have an invitation to participate in an upcoming lottery, signed up for every instrument they are offering. Seems odd when you have to win a drawing, in order to purchase an instrument, but it's probably better than having a five-year waiting list (or whatever it would be).

Has anybody in these forums won this lottery sale before? How many times did it take before you got an instrument? Somebody please sprinkle some fairy dust on me, or something (anything) for me to get one of their ukes.

I won one, and love it...and need to bring it out and play it. Like all instruments, some people aren't fans...but it may be the best balanced ukulele I own in terms of sound, and it is either the best looking or second best (my Flight Spirit is also a thing of beauty...and I have other stunning instruments, too).

I wanted a second (which still ended up being $575 or so for a concert after shipping and the mandatory case), and after many failed bids over time, I won it. And I'm quite happy with it.

One thing to watch for is after an auction. People occasionally drop out after winning, and instead of going through the auction again, sometimes Keith (or Scarlett, who is the business manager) will just list them as available for immediate purchase. You could also drop them a note and let them know the next time that happens, they can e-mail you immediately. They might not do that, but hey, it can't hurt to try.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thanks for the heads up on that! I'll follow-up and let them know I'd buy any welcher's uke, sight unseen. Funny you mention Flight Spirit ... I have a Mustang, which is kind of like a Tenor version of the Spirit.

I did not win mine directly through the lottery. On the Facebook group, I noticed a comment under one of the lottery posts about a private owner wanting to sell theirs, and we brokered a deal outside of the thread. It might be worthwhile to keep an eye on that as well if you're looking to find one. I've also seen people make a post here in the Marketplace looking for a particular uke. You never know if someone is willing to sell theirs but wasn't actively trying to.

I like mine a lot (Tenor). A bit on the quiet side, as Cocobolo is a hard wood being used for the top. But I really like the mellow tone. Action and intonation are spot on and it looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    I did not win mine directly through the lottery. On the Facebook group, I noticed a comment under one of the lottery posts about a private owner wanting to sell theirs, and we brokered a deal outside of the thread.
    I like mine a lot (Tenor). A bit on the quiet side, as Cocobolo is a hard wood being used for the top. But I really like the mellow tone. Action and intonation are spot on and it looks awesome.
    That's what I'm bidding on (Tenor). I've bid on all Tenors in the lottery. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye open and an ear to the ground, as to other sources mentioned.

I came in second place and got the call when the winner backed out. Now I have a really cool ukulele and they don’t.

I don’t recall it taking terribly long to win, but I was neither bidding on tenors nor paying attention.

You’ll win one. They are great instruments and you’ll be glad when you get it.
    My Ukuleles
    KoAloha Naupaka soprano
    KoAloha Noah sopranino
    DJ Morgan Mini Pineapple
    Luna Pearl concert
    Cocobolo concert #384 (Teak!)

I had great luck.
    I bought a concert earlier this year.
    The first one I opted into the lottery for, and after the first draw backed out I got to buy it. One shot was all it took, and I only bid on that one.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

I was selected twice.

I "won" the opportunity to buy a tenor after about 5 months. I was the first alternative and the person who had been selected backed out of buying. A nice instrument. It sounds great. But the design is a bit busy, for me, with the elaborate rosette. Cocobolo is a beautiful wood. It can stand on its own without much added bling.

Several months later, I decided that I would opt for a tenor design I really wanted. I skipped a month or two. And I was selected the third time I participated. I was able to purchase a tenor cutaway that caught my eye.

Be patient. Most people who enter are eventually selected.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 08-03-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I entered the lottery either 2 or three times before I won my Concert, and then a few months later when a "Second" (It is more brown than red) went up for the lottery, I entered and won.

Both are good, but I do prefer the the string- through bridge to the tie bridge.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

I’ve entered maybe ten times (maybe more) and have won twice. The first was a super soprano; the second is a baritone that is being built now and should be finished in a week or so.
    Kathryn

Thread Information