What's a good setup for a beginner?

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm buying a ukulele and would like your advice on what setup is good for a beginner? (I've been playing for about 3 months, wow, time flies when you are having fun.)

I'll be doing pretty much all strumming (as with my other ukes).

I've had a ukulele where I asked to put the action at 2.5mm, and it's worked ok. But I also have ukuleles where the action is 3mm and that's ok too. I can't really tell the difference.

Thanks.

Last edited:
That sounds fine for me. The trick for beginners is that you want the action low enough to be comfortable, but high enough that there’s no fret buzz when they get too enthusiastic with their attack. If your action is working for you, leave it as it is for now and eventually you’ll figure out naturally if you would want it a little lower or higher.

A 0.5 mm difference is tiny and you won't likely be able to see or feel it and even trying to measure it will be difficult. Action also changes with temperature,humidity and tension. Just holding and playing it for an hour probably can cause a larger change.

Even having read a lot of material about setups early in my playing, it always seemed that people talked about action at the 12th fret, with only occasional references to action at the nut. I think the advice should be flipped.

What I've found, generally, is that action at 0.5mm at the 1st fret and 2.5mm at the 12th fret is a pretty good "middle of the road" setting for most players, and probably ideal for beginners. Expert players start to have very specific measurements and expectations and to each their own.

I will say that on most ukuleles that I see on the beginner level, the action at the nut is considerably more important than the action at the 12th fret, as long as the action at the 12th isn't crazy high (over 3.5mm). As beginners (well...so many people) are around those first four frets most of the time, action on the nut end is critical for a good playing experience.

Based on your comment: exactly 2.75mm...

Actually, I think between 2.5 and 3 isn't a bad starting place. But it really depends on a number of factors. For players with a soft touch, lower might be better. Fingerstyle players often prefer higher action. Some ukes sound somewhat muted or dampened when the action is lowered. Higher action can cause greater intonation problems, but action too low can cause buzzing. Plus string tension: light/soft strings tend to work better when the action isn't too low, medium/hard strings tend to work better when it isn't too high.

In thinking about these factors, consider how you'll play and what kind of sound and feel you want and determine whether you think higher or lower action is better for you. Back when I got started, I kept hearing praise for low action, but I've since had ukes with action so low that, even without buzz, I ended up disliking them for fingerstyle. Keep in mind, if the action is too high, you can always lower the saddle by sanding it a little. Raising the action is a little more difficult.

Preferences may vary from uke to uke, but my own guideline has changed from "as low as possible without buzzing" when I was first starting out, to "as high as possible without being uncomfortable to play or messing up the intonation." This doesn't translate into a single number, as different ukes, sizes, and string tensions make each instrument different. But I tend to favor just under 3mm. Someone starting out might want something a bit lower, but I wouldn't start with lower than 2.5mm.

@Choirguy makes a good point about action at the 1st fret mattering more for beginners--I think this is right, but I also think there's less wiggle room at the 1st fret, and if someone is setting up your uke, I would defer to their judgment. That is, because it's so close to the nut, I think there's a smaller range of acceptable action height, and that will be largely impacted by what strings you're using. If you want a range, probably between .5-.8mm is what you'd want there.

Last edited:
I agree that string height over the first couple of frets is more important for beginners than at the 12th fret. A lot of beginners have trouble with barre chords because the string height at the first fret is too high. This is usually easy for a good shop to adjust.

Sounds like your ukes have been given a set up, versus just bought off the shelf, which is probably about as good a starting point as a first time beginner could want - since that'll mean that basic things like setting the nut height have been done (even if they're not exactly zero'd in to your ultimate preference). Many off the shelf instruments have nuts that are too high, which unfortunately is probably the biggest potential setup issue a rank beginner faces (since it makes basic playing on the first frets hard to do well when you don't have good finger coordination). Unfortunately, many beginners don't understand the importance of this and just buy an instrument off the shelf, then get disappointed at how hard it is to play. So, congrats at dodging that mistake.

t's worked ok.

What has been "ok" about it? What have you liked or not liked? Are there things you're having trouble with?

Unfortunately we may not be able to answer this question for you. "Okay" is a good place to start out from, but the key in going from "okay" to "excellent" is knowing your own personal preferences and where you're at as a player. 3 months in is a great time to start learning by observing since you should be at a point where you can play without thinking too hard, which frees up mental energy for paying attention to how things are going as you play. If you can say, "I'm having trouble with X" or, "I wish I could do Y better" or, "when I do Z I get this result" then we (or an experienced tech) can either provide suggestions on setup changes, or provide some guidance on playing technique. Or both!

I guess OK isn't too descriptive. I guess I'm just not experienced enough to say "this is a good setup" or "this is a bad setup" because all my ukuleles play about the same. I have 2 that's bought without any setup and they play just like the rest.

I was hoping to be able to give stores more detailed setup instructions, but I think I probably should put in some effort and learn how to do the basics myself. It seems like setup is something that needs to be done once a while when strings change or when playing style change, even on an already setup instrument.

I guess OK isn't too descriptive. I guess I'm just not experienced enough to say "this is a good setup" or "this is a bad setup" because all my ukuleles play about the same. I have 2 that's bought without any setup and they play just like the rest.

I was hoping to be able to give stores more detailed setup instructions, but I think I probably should put in some effort and learn how to do the basics myself. It seems like setup is something that needs to be done once a while when strings change or when playing style change, even on an already setup instrument.

A setup is needed when you think the uke has changed from being as good as it was. For example if it gets more difficult to play, or if the sound changes. Often the diagnosis and doing basic setup to fix it are not difficult even for people who are not handy. UU members are always helpful. But rule #1 is always if ain't broke then don't fix it. If it works well the way it is then chances are that tinkering with it can make it worse. I know that it's not always easy to leave good enough alone.

Last edited:
In this wonderful internet age there are plenty of videos and step by step instructions for setting up instruments. The good news about a uke is that there are fewer adjustments available than on some other types of stringed instruments (a modern electric guitar, for example) which makes them easier to set up in the sense of fewer variables to worry about and less interaction between variables. The bad news is, this also means it's harder to set one up, in some cases at least, in the sense that some problems are difficult or impossible to fully solve on some instruments for some player's preferences.

I think it's worth pointing out, too, that it's totally fine to "just play" and not get too concerned with your setup unless or until you notice a specific problem. As merlin pointed out, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It can be very educational to teach yourself how to set up a uke, but you may very well find that - after learning all the steps - you sit down with one of your instruments, run through it, and don't end up actually making any adjustments! You may also find that you literally can't tell a difference between two different action heights, and rather than interpreting that as an issue or a problem to solve, that may well mean that the difference literally doesn't make a difference for you, and that's okay too.

Essentially, when thinking about a setup, there's a foundation you need to start from. An instrument that is intact, without damage, and was well designed. This includes some of the non-adjustable or hard-to-adjust things on a uke which need to be more or less correct - bridge is in the correct position for the scale length, frets are intact (not loose) and level, and the neck has an appropriate amount of relief built in (since ukes don't usually have adjustable truss rods). The majority of quality instruments will have those things well addressed, but if you're buying a questionable instrument, or a used instrument with an unknown history, it can be helpful to know how to check them.

Assuming the foundation is good, you really have three potential adjustments. I like to think of them all as feedback loops, rather than things you can specify ahead of time (at least when approach setups in the generic sense, versus for a specific known instrument):

1) Setting up the nut. Think of the nut as the "zero fret." It stops the string in the open position, in the same way that the 12th fret stops it at the 12th position. The nut needs to be a good fit to the neck and the end of the fretboard. Nuts are sometimes glued in place, which needs to be done cautiously (with a small amount of weak glue) such that the nut is still removable. Glue residue needs to be cleaned out any time a nut is removed, otherwise it can mean that the nut doesn't sit right. The slots in the nut need to be appropriately sized for the string gauges you're using - the string should sit down in the slot, and needs to be loose enough that it can easily slide over the nut as you tune, but not so loose that it's not precisely located. Slots are typically anywhere from half to 2/3rds the depth of the string - they don't need to come up higher than that, although it's really just for aesthetics. Checking all those things should probably count as "foundational" in my above paragraph, but nuts are often replaced during a setup so I suppose that's debatable. The one variable you do often see specified as part of a setup is the nut height. Many people have different ways of determining the nut height, but ultimately it's a matter of preference. The nut needs to be high enough to not cause open strings to buzz on the first fret, but low enough that it doesn't require undue pressure to fret notes on the lower frets - which is a matter of playability, but also a matter of keeping the instrument in tune with itself, since really high nut heights can cause intonation issues. The method I use to set nut height is to determine the acceptable gap between the string and the second fret when that string is fretted at the first fret, then set the nut such that the string has that much clearance over the first fret when not fretted. That's a bit of a run-on sentence, but it goes back to considering the nut as the zero fret - when you fret a given fret, the string needs a certain clearance over the next-highest fret in order to not buzz. So, when you "fret the zero fret" (play the string in open position, not actually fretted) you need that same clearance over the first fret. I find this method creates a very consistent feel and a very consistent playability between the frets and the open strings. To be clear, I don't have a default spec in mind and I don't aim for a specific value, I measure and set each instrument accordingly.

2) Setting the saddle height. The saddle height determines the action - the distance between the strings and the frets, i.e. the 2.5mm or 3mm at the 12th fret you're quoting for your setups. Action, of course, determines how much room the string has to vibrate before it will buzz on a fret. It also determines the ease of fretting a note, since higher action means you'll feel that it's harder to get the string pressed down. Action is also indirectly influenced by relief - and this is one of the stumbling blocks for setting up a uke, since relief is often not adjustable. An instrument with too much or too little relief will need a different string height to arrive at the same effective clearance for a vibrating string. Strings of different length (i.e. a tenor compared to a soprano) will need different clearance, too. So while it can be useful to know "I like the feel of 3mm on this uke" that doesn't, by default, mean that you will always like 3mm on all ukes. Knowing an action you like on a specific scale length with a specific brand/gauge of string can be a very helpful starting point, but ultimately you may find that you need to make adjustments as you go - so don't get hung up on the numbers.

3) Adjusting the saddle for intonation. For ukulele, this one is "kinda" adjustable, over a small range - across the width of the saddle slot, basically. Compensated saddles can allow a different effective scale length for each string by moving the contact point forwards or backwards relative to the center line of the saddle. If a string fretted at the 12th fret gives a different pitch than the same string played harmonic at the 12th fret, the intonation is off, and moving the contact point accordingly can help solve the issue. This is sometimes overlooked (or people will just always buy a compensated saddle, slap it on, and assume it's correct, without thinking about this as a possible "adjustment") but really, in my opinion, should be something that's adjusted as part of any setup. I say this because of the interactive nature of the variables involved. Switching string gauges will change the required scale length to have proper intonation, for instance. Changing the saddle height or nut height will impact intonation, as well, since doing so will mean the string is displaced a different amount when fretted. So once you know you have the action set up, you may find that a string is slightly out of tune at the 12th fret, and upon discovering that, you can file the nut one way or the other (or switch to a different pre-made nut) to get the intonation corrected.

People sometimes get intimidated by setups, but - ultimately - it boils down to knowing what the variables do, more than possessing any specific difficult technical skill or knowing any magic number to aim for. The actual technical work is pretty easy - filing or sanding some small bits of bone or plastic - and the best ways to do so are well covered all over the internet. The thing I find lacking is often a thorough explanation of WHY you should (or should not) make a specific adjustment, and how to know when you've got it right (versus just shooting for an arbitrary number). So I hope this helps with that aspect. If not, ask questions, there are lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Top Bottom