Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodging the knots

Default Dodging the knots

I just received delivery of this board of African Mahogany/Khaya. ..it has quite a few knots but with a bit of juggling around them I recon I can get 10 sopranos out of it , Maybe more If I can get more than 4 slices out of it ..it’s 22.5mm thick so we’ll see.
    B93C8353-AD76-44B4-B81A-F8171E4D0C78 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 08-03-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Nice score Ken. Nothing dodgy about that... For those that are curious about Khaya here is something:

Comments: Comprised of a handful of species from the Khaya genus, all of which are native to Africa. Sometimes lacks the deeper reddish brown color and durability that is common for true mahogany in the Swietenia genus. Botanically, Khaya is a part of the Meliace
    Last edited by sequoia; 08-03-2020 at 06:08 AM.

The kicker? It's not on CITES Appendix II ��������

I just sliced a sample ...5 pieces easy. That’s another 2 extra sopranos and a bit left over for spares
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Look out for your posty...

Resawing done, only took I hour 50 slices = 40 saw cuts.
    B4EF5962-A61B-42BC-A0C2-D1006797D789 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Second board arrive today...solid one piece reclaimed dark Cuban table top leaf , 18 lnch x 43 inch x 3/4 inch...Hardly any knots (I spotted two small ones) and no other visible defects...Just a few screw holes where the hinges and gate leg fitted, I’m pleased with this one it will turn out quite a few ukes.
    F2B4748F-AFDC-4AEE-874F-303E57487C43 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Hi Ken, please don't take this the wrong way and I'm not disputing at all that it is Cuban Mahogany. I have often wondered how you know or how anybody would be able to tell from old brown furniture what it is or where it originated.
    Do you rely on what the seller says, or is it that you can identify it (or any wood)by looking at it, based on your experience? I don't have much experience with such woods other than my latest instrument building hobby going back about 5 years, and at my age I'm not likely to get much more!
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    Hi Ken, please don't take this the wrong way and I'm not disputing at all that it is Cuban Mahogany. I have often wondered how you know or how anybody would be able to tell from old brown furniture what it is or where it originated.
    Do you rely on what the seller says, or is it that you can identify it (or any wood)by looking at it, based on your experience? I don't have much experience with such woods other than my latest instrument building hobby going back about 5 years, and at my age I'm not likely to get much more!
    Thanks Mike
    Yes I can tell when I get a close look at it ..if you take small piece and set it on fire it gives off a distinctive scent that is easily remembered...lots of this old dark mahogany was used a lot in the old days in furniture factories...but it didn’t necessarily come from Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Yes I can tell when I get a close look at it ..if you take small piece and set it on fire it gives off a distinctive scent that is easily remembered...lots of this old dark mahogany was used a lot in the old days in furniture factories...but it didn’t necessarily come from Cuba.
    That's interesting, I'll have to start burning my scraps and then the hard part is remembering the smell! I suppose it's just an acquired knowledge, which I admire. I've seen many comments on forums, YT etc. where people have talked about Brazilian this or Honduran that or Cuban whatever, and it's always puzzled me how they know, unless they bought it directly from the said country. I have tried looking into this on the wood database and internet, but without too much confidence.
    thanks Mike
    Last edited by mikeyb2; 08-05-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Thread Information