NUD Kamaka HF-3D

Mopey

Reaction score
So something a bit special arrived for me this morning!

Spotted this on eBay a couple of weeks back and kept an eye on it, decided my limit and took the plunge. I got it for, what I think, was a really good price. It's still the most I have ever spent (and probably will ever spend) on a ukulele but having it in my hands now, it is totally worth it! I am delighted!

Want to thank fellow board member deznuchs for his great, and thorough advice, as I was deciding between this and a Kanile'a.

The uke was purchased by the original owner from SUS back in 2018 and it looks brand new, really fantastic condition.

The case alone is something to marvel at. The ukulele is set up wonderfully. I am not good at describing sound but it has the shimmering koa sparkle with this wonderful, resonant, depth to it. Really fantastic. Definitely sounds like a ukulele and not a small classical guitar which is something that is really important to me. It actually gave me goosebumps playing it!

The only downside is that my playing is not good enough for this instrument but am going to keep playing until it is!

Some pics and a little video are here (only an iphone recording, really need to figure out how to get the mic sound synchronized with the video!)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1V3jrynryRBiFwjP6

Well done., It was a really good price :D

Cherish it.

That's gorgeous!
Is it the Ohta San model?

Awesome ukulele. Beautiful Koa in it. You done good and it's well worth it.

It is definitely a encouragement to improve your playing. You'll get there.

I am drooling. After damaging my kamaka soprano from string change, I can only drool. Scared to pick up another Kamaka

That's gorgeous!
Is it the Ohta San model?

I'm not the OP, but I think it's a Deluxe Tenor, not the Ohta San. The Ohta San is Kamaka HB-2D and this is HF-3D.

This is a beautiful ukulele, and I hope that Mopey enjoys it in good health.

Hi everyone, have been trying to reply all day but keep getting the 'blacklisted' message!

Yes it's a regular HF-3D not the Ohta San one which is more... bell shaped I think? And yes a concert rather than tenor so HB-2D would be right.

Have been learning Kaimana Hila on it today from a Herb Ohata Jr video because it just asks for me to play some Hawaiian tunes on it!

Well done., It was a really good price :D

Cherish it.

I was surprised (and relieved!) that it didn't have many bids - only 3 I think!? I guess it's a sign of the times :(

I was surprised (and relieved!) that it didn't have many bids - only 3 I think!? I guess it's a sign of the times :(

I was one of the 'watchers' but I pondered too long as usual. Plus as much as I love a Deluxe Kamaka I can't justify having two just yet. I also remember this when it was at SUS originally. They only get one or two of these a year and they go quickly so it is a very rare instrument in the UK. Congratulations again!

I was one of the 'watchers' but I pondered too long as usual. Plus as much as I love a Deluxe Kamaka I can't justify having two just yet. I also remember this when it was at SUS originally. They only get one or two of these a year and they go quickly so it is a very rare instrument in the UK. Congratulations again!

you have a great 'batch' of ukes! would like to see your Kanile'a - if I had not of gotten this I was going to go for the K3 tenor that SUS have. It is beautiful but I am a little on the fence with Kanile'a as I owned a concert a few years ago and it looked better that it sounded but I expect things have changed. Ultimately I thought if I still wanted one I could get a Kanile'a in the future but the Kamaka would be harder to get a hold of.

And I'm a little bit in two minds about my Kanile'a. I'd probably swap it for your Kamaka and a pint of Guinness to be honest :) It is a great instrument but I always take so long to find the best strings on any Kanile'a I've owned. Seems much easier on the others.

Top Bottom