Hi from NYC

KPDover

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a professional stage manager based in NYC (I actually stage managed a ukulele concert once!), but as you can imagine, I'm going to have a lot of free time for probably about a year, which is how I ended up here.

About 12 years back I did a show that used 40 ukuleles, and when the show closed the producer offered the ukes to anyone who wanted one. While I'd played other instruments in school, I'd failed several times at learning the guitar in my teens and 20s. I always felt held back by my small stature and even smaller hands, so the uke seemed like my only chance at playing a stringed instrument, so I snagged one. But then life got busy and the uke sat in my closet for 12 years.

Finally in early May I hit the really-not-mentally-OK phase of quarantine, and wasn't able to focus or hold my attention on anything for very long. I wanted something to do in the real world that would create something of beauty, but also could be picked up and put down without a lot of commitment. Something like an instrument, small enough to sit close at hand, and quiet enough to not disturb my neighbors. This led of course to the uke buried in the closet. I dug it out, found out what it needed to be tuned to, and typed "ukulele chords" into google, printed myself a cheat sheet, and I've been playing every day since.

Just last week I received delivery of my first "real" uke, an Ohana SK-70WG. I'm absolutely in love with it, and am so excited to keep growing with an instrument that sounds so good and plays so easily. I look forward to absorbing everything this community has to share.

Welcome to UU KPDover!
Apart from how you got your very first uke , your story is very familiar right now. I hope your new Ohana brings you lots of joy, and that you enjoy the journey, together.

Hi from Sparta, Wisconsin.

I do hope we can get back to theaters soon.

In the meantime, welcome to the world of the ukulele. It's a fun instrument. And it's quite uplifting for the spirit.

There are several websites aimed at new players. Gotaukulele.com is the first to come to mind. Also a member Choirguy has a uke blog: http://ukestuff.info

The sites have lots of good information about ukuleles. How to change the strings. Care of the wood. Etc. Playing tips and reviews of ukuleles at all price points. Check them out.

Welcome to UU. Seems like a lot of people are taking up ukulele now, what with all this isolation.
A good friends son was just promoted to manager of a very large stage in LA, but he can't work right now, of course.
He doesn't play ukulele to my knowledge, but is a brilliant pianist and pretty decent guitarist.

Top Bottom