List of Uke Makers and their smaller brands?

polstein

Reaction score
F'instance, Kala is the entry line of Uke's from one of the bigger names, but they are made in China (or not Hawaii anyway).

Anyone have a list of major names & their cheaper less expensive brand names?

F'instance, Kala is the entry line of Uke's from one of the bigger names, but they are made in China (or not Hawaii anyway).

Kala makes a whole range of ukuleles that spans the price range as well. They also make ukuleles in the US.

All Hawaiian K brands their factory lines
Koolau : Pono
Kaloha : Opio
Kanilea : Islander
Kamaka : ... oh wait! They don’t have an alternative cheaper brand?

Last edited:
For the major/minor brands, I presume:

Main brands tend to be hand made in Hawaii, usually with higher quality woods & parts

Minor brands (there is probably a correct word here I'm forgetting) main in China, Indonesia..other? Assembly line products? "lesser" woods ?

Anyone know the main company specifically for Kala ? (thanks kerneltime)!

Main brands tend to be hand made in Hawaii, usually with higher quality woods & parts

Minor brands (there is probably a correct word here I'm forgetting) main in China, Indonesia..other? Assembly line products? "lesser" woods ?

Kala's California made instruments are called Kala Elite. I think they start at about $700 for a plain doghair concert and run up to 12 grand if you need a koa surfboard for your living room display. I have three Kala Elite tenors and love 'em!

https://kalabrand.com/collections/kala-elite-usa-ukulele

Kala is the main company. It is not an offshoot of another brand.

LoPrinzi Ukuleles used to have an entry level brand called Sailor. I believe they were an exclusive product only sold by Uke Republic.

No Kala is the main brand. Their smaller entry level brand is called Makala and even lower down is Waterman.

Takumi - Japanese Parent Umbrella Company (No longer making ukuleles under this brand name)
• DaSilva Ukulele (Berkley, California, USA)
• Kiwaya Ukuleles (Made in Japan Only)
• LoPrinzi Ukulele (Clearwater, Florida, USA)
- Sailor Ukuleles

Last edited:
Correct, Kala is the main company, they design and manufacture high end ukes, their midrange and low end they specify and have made in Asia, and they also just have their label added to ukes designed and manufactured in Asia without specific input. The bamboo line is an example of that, the exact same uke is also sold by Aklot.

Having attended NAMM a few times, I discovered that many uke "merchandisers" just order ukes they see at NAMM made by one of the Asian manufacturers, who will include on the headstock any name the merchandisers wants. Same thing goes for preamps in those ukes.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
There's Martin with ukes made in the US and in Mexico.

Every week a new name appears. Any list will be out of date overnight. If you go to the Uke Talk page there is a sticky with a list of ukulele makers from all over the world at the top. I think we only need one list.

Thanks, been working in beginner area, and that list... I presumed there were a bunch out there I never heard of but that is one giant list!

Top Bottom