Recomendations for black strings please

Quila fretboard. Ever hear of it? It is from NZ, I believe
Over this side of the world we spell it Kwila and it's used for decking. It's not a NZ timber but is imported from Indonesia and PNG and is readily available. It's very heavy and hard, a red brown colour with yellow flecks. I made a uke from it once and found it worked and bent well though the edges splintered where the grain ran out. Although the uke sounded warm (cedar top) the yellow flecks were off-putting and I wouldn't use it again (except for decking). There are much nicer woods in my stash.
Miguel

Over this side of the world we spell it Kwila and it's used for decking. It's not a NZ timber but is imported from Indonesia and PNG and is readily available. It's very heavy and hard, a red brown colour with yellow flecks. I made a uke from it once and found it worked and bent well though the edges splintered where the grain ran out. Although the uke sounded warm (cedar top) the yellow flecks were off-putting and I wouldn't use it again (except for decking). There are much nicer woods in my stash.
Miguel

Perhaps Kwila here as well. Thanks for the info. I haven't seen yellow flecks but will look closer. Not the first time I have heard this.

Top Bottom