Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recomendations for black strings please

Default Recomendations for black strings please

I normally use Aquila Nylgut strings and am quite happy with their sound and feel. However, a recent build looks better with black strings than with white.
    I have tried D'Addario Black Nylon but was displeased with both the sound and the feel, esp. since they are thicker than the Aquila.
    Is there a black string that is close to the thickness and sound of the Aquilas?
    This is a soprano ukulele.
    Thanks!

I recently tried Fremont Blacklines on a cedar top tenor. They sound and feel great. So great that the other sets I bought to try on this uke (Living Water, Uke Logic) are on the back burner. I just don't want to change these Blacklines yet, they sound that good to me.
    John

You can consider the Martin Premium, which are like dark grey or graphite colored. If brown would work on that instrument worth browns are nice
    Last edited by EDW; 08-03-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Here is what you probably want: Aquila 'Lava' strings.

https://www.juststrings.com/aqu-110u...ia&kw=aqu-110u

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I recently tried Fremont Blacklines on a cedar top tenor. They sound and feel great. So great that the other sets I bought to try on this uke (Living Water, Uke Logic) are on the back burner. I just don't want to change these Blacklines yet, they sound that good to me.
    I would second positive reports on Fremont Blackline. On the recommendation of another UU member I tried FBL on one of my Sopranos and was very pleased with the result, certainly they worked better for me than Nyglut did on that particular Uke (the Nyglut was fine and the FBL simply better). IIRC the Blacklines are slightly harder on the finger tips than Aquila’s, but that was soon forgotten (your finger tips harden) and that is typical of fluorocarbon strings. M600’s are almost always (so not always) a good choice for every instrument, by a small margin they are my default selection and preference. However FBL isn’t expensive, is readily available (in the USA if not the U.K.) and does a very good job (I rate them as a close second to M600’s). If you want a black string then what’s not to like? Lucy’s Ukuleles in Seattle sell FBL via Reverb and eBay, I’ve found Lucy’s to be very helpful.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-04-2020 at 05:14 AM.

Black GHS strings were on my used Ko'olau concert when I bought it. Thinner than Aquila Nylgut strings but surprisingly good sounding.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have ordered the Aquila Lava. Evidently, they are the same as the Nylgut, only black. I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsme View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I have ordered the Aquila Lava. Evidently, they are the same as the Nylgut, only black. I didn't know that.
    The Martin premium, which are made by Aquila are in the same family, although I don't know exactly what the differences are between each

Worth Browns are dark and are close to black on a ukulele.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsme View Post
    I’d be interested to know how you rate them once they’ve settled in. Please would you let folks know in say two weeks time?

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Worth Browns are dark and are close to black on a ukulele.
    Funny you should say that, it was my thought too. I’ve used them briefly but it wasn’t a fair trial so I’ll not comment on them, they’re also a bit dear to buy (you do get two sets of strings in one pack though).
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-04-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Thread Information