Sitting position when playing a soprano

McCall

Reaction score
Hello, I’m not sure if anyone would be able to answer this question, but I thought I’d give it a try.

When I play my soprano, I’ve always sat down and used my strumming forearm to pin the uke against my chest. But lately I’ve seen some videos of professional level uke players sometimes sitting down and resting a soprano sized uke on top of their thigh. Resting the uke on top of my thigh is how I’ve always held my tenor and it’s perfectly comfortable. But I’ve tried holding my soprano this way and while it gives me a lot of stability, it also very quickly gives me wrist and back pain. The pain obviously has to do with straining to reach down low enough to strum and fret the small soprano while it’s so low in my lap, because like I said holding my larger tenor this way is perfectly comfortable.

How can I rest the soprano on my thigh like this without straining down to reach it? Or is it just that my particular body shape/size just won’t allow me to be comfortable holding a soprano this way?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Not being a fan of the muffled, muted sound caused by clamping the instrument with my forearm, my solution is to use a strap ;) The instrument is then consistently located whether I'm standing, sitting or floating in the pool.
A cushion or some other suitable rest placed on your leg may serve your purpose, but they get soggy in the pool.

Inevitable - YMMV :music:

I think you are doing it right! If you want to rest the uke on your left thigh then a stool might help to raise the leg a bit and you move the uke toward the knee to keep it away from the body. But just tucking it in the elbow is best as this also works for standing and you don't need to adjust right hand for different positions.

Guitar players will often use a foot rest if they need to raise the level of their instrument when they are playing while sitting. You could also use a shorter chair.

You might try raising the headstock end angling it it bit more.

Crossing your leg can help

Perhaps something like a classical guitar support

[video]https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/ergonomic-guitar-rests-support-ergoplay/[/video]

Whatever you do, I would adjure you to be mindful of the body-mind-instrument connection. Your posture informs your attitude which in turn transfers to your playing. So be comfortable, be free from tension. Don't hunch over your instrument; open up your chest and employ good neck positioning. I know it sounds rather fey and esoteric, but I think it does actually matter.

Whatever you do, I would adjure you to be mindful of the body-mind-instrument connection. Your posture informs your attitude which in turn transfers to your playing. So be comfortable, be free from tension. Don't hunch over your instrument; open up your chest and employ good neck positioning. I know it sounds rather fey and esoteric, but I think it does actually matter.

Yes, there are musicians who study Alexander Technique for those reasons. It is important to be aware of what your body tells you. Sometimes we develop odd habits and then find ourselves in pain or in some cases doing damage. There are physical therapy departments dealing with musician ailments. As ripock indicates, it can also affect playing and performance.

I angle my headstock like Christopher does and I also tend to cross my legs like he does, too. Pure coincidence, I assure you. ;-)

Top Bottom