Number two.

Rllink

Reaction score
It took me a year and a couple months to buy my second ukulele. Over eight years I've bought four and sold one of those. In the course of a few months I have bought two guitar now. I bought a Taylor GS Mini acoustic a few months ago and yesterday I bought a Les Paul Studio electric.

Just a note, my next door neighbor got promoted to police chief today. I hope that he likes my new guitar. ;)

It took me a year and a couple months to buy my second ukulele. Over eight years I've bought four and sold one of those. In the course of a few months I have bought two guitar now. I bought a Taylor GS Mini acoustic a few months ago and yesterday I bought a Les Paul Studio electric.

Just a note, my next door neighbor got promoted to police chief today. I hope that he likes my new guitar. ;)

Wow you are doing the deep dive into shredding territory. Good for you, I hear those electric licks and runs and riffs and I say “boy that would be cool to play those”. Fortunately the fantasy evaporates and I go back to strumming my cowboy chords and singing John Prine songs ;).

Keep us posted on your progress, congratulations and have fun

No doubt, the fantasy got to me. I have a young friend who is a very good blues guitarist and has a band. So of course I follow on Facebook and Instagram and he does all the fancy runs. I've been trying to do them on my acoustic and I keep asking him questions and he is nice enough to answer them, but he always ends by saying that what I want to do is generally what people do on electric guitars, not acoustic guitars. So I finally just broke down and bought a Les Paul. I mean, why not?

Fortunately the fantasy evaporates and I go back to strumming my cowboy chords and singing John Prine songs ;).

This fits me exactly (except for the strumming). Prine has always been a source of inspiration. His fingerpicking style has always come naturally to me from the beginning. I don't know why, since I never actually studied his style. Osmosis?

BTW...John couldn't play lead either.:cool:

Last edited:
This fits me exactly (except for the strumming). Prine has always been a source of inspiration. His fingerpicking style has always come naturally to me from the beginning. I don't know why, since I never actually studied his style. Osmosis?

BTW...John couldn't play lead either.:cool:

His passing was so sad, did you see the tribute that was done on YouTube, it was wonderful. I was smart enough/lucky enough to see him in Buffalo last summer. What a treat, my new motto now is.........do it if you can while you can.

I am graviting towards fingerpicking John Prine songs because that is the way he plays them. Strumming just comes a lot easier to me.

There are amps now that interface to the internet and can find the chords and do a backing tape thing for you. Check out Spark Amps. I have an acquaintance who says he has just surfaced four months after buying this product and starting using it.

Last night I was looking up Angus Young (AC/DC) licks for some fun. Getting them to sound like Angus is hard, but they are very simple in structure and follow a pattern that is not hard to learn. The beauty of the electric guitar is that the amp helps you use all of the fret board. A learning technique I use to remember the notes is to have the uke next to the guitar. Some of the licks can easily be played on a re-entrant ukulele, but they wont sound the same. And you are using exactly the same fingering patterns, although the fret numbers are different.

I will check that out. It sounds interesting and I think it would put what I'm doing in some kind of context, which would be very helpful. I've pretty much distanced the uke from the guitar. I still play the uke pretty regularly and I still attend our group's zoom get togethers. But the guitar and the ukulele are two totally different journeys. From the beginning my interest has been different in regards to them and I'm not trying to do the same thing on them both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom