Woody and Arlo Guthrie Jam Tomorrow Night

Alice’s Restaurant and then out of time? ;)

Good theme idea!

Sounds good. 3:30 PDT. Usually my zooms start 1:00 PDT - and I’m busy then.
I’m gonna try to make this one.

Sounds good. 3:30 PDT. Usually my zooms start 1:00 PDT - and I’m busy then.
I’m gonna try to make this one.

Because there are so many songs, and sometimes some talking, we often run late. You can come and go any time, of course. We have two other people from your area in our club, and they usually show up.

Dang! My uke club's Zoom meeting is the same time. I enjoy both artists' songs.

Don't forget to play Arlo's "Motorcycle". Now that song's gonna be stuck in my head the rest of the day. :p

Dang! My uke club's Zoom meeting is the same time. I enjoy both artists' songs.

Don't forget to play Arlo's "Motorcycle". Now that song's gonna be stuck in my head the rest of the day. :p

You can download the song book and play it at your leisure. Yes, "Motorcycle" is #21.

You can download the song book and play it at your leisure. Yes, "Motorcycle" is #21.

Jerry, I looked for the Guthrie "song book" on the Catskills Uke group site, but couldn't find it. Is there another source. I would love to join in and play the music of these two great artist along with you and others.

Mahalo,

Don

Never mind. It was in your original post. I just need to pay attention! So Sorry.

I'm going to try and join tomorrow. Also, what is that format style called where the chords are inline with the lyrics, I want to convert them to proper chords above the lyrics.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Jerry, I looked for the Guthrie "song book" on the Catskills Uke group site, but couldn't find it. Is there another source. I would love to join in and play the music of these two great artist along with you and others.

Mahalo,

Don

This one is the"Normanskill Strummers", in Guilderland NY. I'm actually a member, but can't do the zoom meetings.

But Jerry did put the DropBox link in his message.

-Kurt​

I'm going to try and join tomorrow. Also, what is that format style called where the chords are inline with the lyrics, I want to convert them to proper chords above the lyrics.

Actually, Mike, if you take the [chords in line with words] style, and save it as a .pdf, then use ChordPro to open it, the chords go above the words.

I think the chords have to be in brackets [] for it to work.

-Kurt​

Actually, Mike, if you take the [chords in line with words] style, and save it as a .pdf, then use ChordPro to open it, the chords go above the words. I think the chords have to be in brackets [] for it to work. -Kurt[/indent]

Thanks Kurt. Just looked at the ChordPro site and disappointed to see that it's not an app, you have to use a command terminal, don't want to mess with that. I've also been trying to find an app, but nothing is useful.

I don't get why this ChordPro format is used, makes no sense to me at all. My music life for over 50 years had been chords above the lyrics, totally logical that the chord is exactly where it fits to the lyric, in front of the lyric makes no sense to me at all.

I can't even copy/paste the lyrics in the PDF. it seems like it's scanned, not typed. I'm a graphic designer and desktop publisher and I would never make a song list like that.

You know what, I'm out, too frustrating to deal with.

Last edited:
I may have posted this story here or possibly on a trumpet forum. Can't remember which one so I'll tell it again.
I was a working trumpeter in my younger days and spent 6 years with a jazz quintet. Alice May Brock, the owner of Alice's Restaurant opened a small resort type place in Lenox, Mass.very close to Tanglewood in the mid 70's. She had 2-3 buildings that housed motel rooms, a restaurant/bar, tennis courts and a pool. The quintet I played in used to play weekends there 4-5 times a year. If we played there offseason we would get to stay in 2 or 3 motel rooms. In season she would put us up in a small apartment above the bar.
One summer we were booked there in July so we were housed upstairs. We played Friday night and some time during Saturday afternoon I decided to practice. I'm playing some exercises fairly loud and the phone rang. One of the guys in the band answered it and the voice on the other end was yelling. Tell that blankety blank to put the God damn trumpet away. Turned out public tv was set up right below my window interviewing Arlo. I looked down and saw that huge head of hair, a bunch of lights, overhead mic and a camera guy. They had to start the interview over!!!!

ChordPro is a text based syntax designed to be easily parsable. While it’s human readable, it’s really intended to be converted into pretty text by an application. That allows you to render to your preferences and me to mine, to choose which (if any) chord charts to display, etc.

A reference implementation is available at https://www.chordpro.org/chordpro/chordpro-installation/ and there are numerous free and commercial apps and sites which understand it. I like the command line version. I think there’s also a GUI one in the reference, but I’ve not used it.

Images of text aren’t ChordPro, even if they look vaguely like it. I’ve been tempted to try running some like that through OCR, but not enough to actually do it

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

There are apps out there that use the ChordPro format. This week, I've started using Linkesoft's Songbook (based on a rec from one of my Meetup groups), and I've been impressed by it so far: http://linkesoft.com/songbook/ . It has Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android versions.

I've also heard good things about the OnSong app, a Songbook alternative, and it also uses the ChordPro format. (I went with Songbook because it has a mac version and OnSong does not).

It's called the proper way to do it...;)

Funny..........

My brush with fame I guess!!! Wonder if Arlo remembers that! Another night we were playing there Seiji Ozawa, conductor from the Boston Symphony was eating dinner.

I'm already scheduled for two other Zooms at the same time tonight (what is it about Thursdays?) but I greatly appreciate the songbook. Thanks!

Have you heard Elvis Costello and the Mumfords insert Do-Re-Mi into the middle of The Ghost of Tom Joad? I gotta learn this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Idt8wqSSeE

Top Bottom