I "Bought" a $900 Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I got an email from Reverb telling me that I had purchased a $900 uke. I forget the brand, but it wasn't one of the more popular ones (That's why I forgot it). Since I didn't buy this uke, I was concerned.

I contacted both the seller and Reverb, telling them that I did not buy the uke and asking them to cancel the sale. I haven't heard from the seller, but I haven't been charged.

I've had a lot of hacking lately, and it's hard to stop. Someone in Indonesia ordered game cards on eBay, and I had someone from VA and Savannah, GA try to access accounts.

Fortunately, accounts tell me when a password has been changed, or there has been an unusual attempt to sign in. I used LastPass to change all my passwords to long ones with 12 random characters.

Having long passwords that are impossible to remember is risky, but if LastPass keeps working, I'll be okay. As it stands now, I have over 600 passwords. It seems that every account I sign into requires a P/W. It's ridiculous.

As it stands now, I have over 600 passwords. It seems that every account I sign into requires a P/W. It's ridiculous.

Yes, it gets overwhelming really fast

Good luck with it

Ah yes the days before the internet. Remember having a bank book, you stood in line with everyone else waiting for your turn with a teller. Then you handed them the cheque your company wrote to you for your weekly pay. The teller took it, made a manual entery in the ledger and stamped your book.

A library card saw me get on a city bus travel 30 minutes and get off a few blocks from the library. After walking there through rain or snow or sunshine I could then search the card file draws looking for books I wanted. Then up and down the rows and rows of books in search of a novel that interested me. I got to take them home with me for a couple weeks then do the same process all over again to return them.

Yup those were the good old days. Paper road maps, telephone booths, stores closed on Sundays and holidays, black and white 17” screen TVs when a manuel dial and rabbit ears that got you 7 channels.........maybe;)

Congratulations Jerry, on you new uke. I wouldn't want you to involuntarily stop working on your virtual ukulele collection, so I'll be glad to sell you not one of mine for $900.

But seriously, for you $800.

Ok, I do hope changing all your passwords stopped the problem.

Congratulations Jerry, on you new uke. I wouldn't want you to involuntarily stop working on your virtual ukulele collection, so I'll be glad to sell you not one of mine for $900.

But seriously, for you $800.

Ok, I do hope changing all your passwords stopped the problem.

Gee, a reduction of $100. Hard to resist. :)

I strongly recommend using a password manager like LastPass or 1Password. They are pretty easy to use, secure, and help you by generating passwords that aren't easy to crack. It gets a lot easier to have a high-quality, unique password for every account or site, which means that if some random site is compromised, the rest of your data is secure.

I used to use the same few passwords for everything for many years until last Xmas. That's when I got notification from Domino's Pizza that someone had ordered all the free pizzas I had accumulated. This was in another city and it took a few calls to authorities and domino's headquarters to get things on their way. Anyway I ended up changing 100s of my passwords to unique ones that I hopefully will be able to figure out. It was some effort for sure.

I used to use the same few passwords for everything for many years until last Xmas. That's when I got notification from Domino's Pizza that someone had ordered all the free pizzas I had accumulated. This was in another city and it took a few calls to authorities and domino's headquarters to get things on their way. Anyway I ended up changing 100s of my passwords to unique ones that I hopefully will be able to figure out. It was some effort for sure.

I'm using Lastpass now, but what I've done in the past is use a sentence - I Like Playing My Ukulele247 - iLPmu247. And I can make it as long as I want. Or, I can use a famous line from Shakespeare. FRclmyE Friends, Romans, Countrymen, etc.

I create complicated passwords with at least 12 mixed characters that are very easy for me to remember, about 150 or so. I've never been hacked in the 20 years I've been using them, so I'm happy to see my system is working. I also create individual email addresses for every place I keep regular contact, again about 150 or so, that way if I get junk addressed to one of those accounts, I know who sold that email address. I pay a yearly fee for unlimited hosting with unlimited storage, download, email addresses, which also allows me to post full size images here on UU instead of thumbnails.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've been watching a video about Gmail by Ask Leo. If you click on the three dots in the upper right, you'll get a list of choices. Selecting "Show original" will show you all the header info in an email. A three-word message can have two pages of header. Somewhere in all that text that you will see something like this:

e8SfKTIRT/Kxnsl1cWIRtjmJuZgF+0rkH2dG+8d2J6MDIhjXSzqAZ+bUIo0IvMb7HZNp
jnp5z12TkXhKsNR/I2pOh1jAVS3LnbBtUyaIJA6g+0CyyDJnW0s5SL+2+kTpzjnch+xi
dZVu8f67Vbb8sHv9ss2brDm3BGRtnvqaHylpOlz4WgRoJxXvJyPFfwzbc/MSdY2Pqj06
eB1eeCN7E2bw6dHaTUHQBpb+AqFhdhu87E/hQgnv9vKjJ6mjBdgAYM4mwObvQkqFmHcP

You can easily select as many characters as you want, and you have your password. Of course, you'll need a P/W manager to remember them.

Everyone has a story now it seems. For me, our government IRS got hacked - Some person, got all my stimulus money and also were able to file my tax return - all auto-deposited before I realized what happened... when/how/if this ever gets rectified, I don’t know... scary world we live in.

Yes, seven channels. : )

Umm.... no, it was three, until the Educational Station, Channel 17 came on the air, in the Albany NY area.

And it stayed at 4, until Cable came, in the late 60s/early 70s.

Top Bottom