Recommended tuner?

packer

Reaction score
I'm looking on Amazon right now for a new tuner, ideally around $20. Coming from a Korg - Do you think it's pretty much can't go wrong with a snark super tight?

The only thing to be concerned about with a Snark is that the "stalk" on many of them break over time. It could happen to any tuner, but the Snark is particularly prone to it because of the length of the stalk. Many of my other clip-on tuners are designed differently. But as for overall function as a tuner, it will work great for you.

Actually, I've broken one of each of these... sheesh...

My buddy has a tuner that clips onto the edge of the sound hole... The tuner part rests INSIDE the body of the uke, and only the display part peeks out of the hole... He has his on a guitar, though, so I'm not sure if that would work on a uke... I'll get back to to on that...

What about that automatic tuner you mention on the blog, choirguy? Yes, they are WAY more that $20, but... that sure looks like a good option, especially for a beginner or someone who has trouble deciding if they need to up - or - down.

Never mind... Just get the Snark and be careful with it...

Bill

I think BB is talking about the the Planet Waves mini Tuner. They work great on ukes as well. I use them on my ukes and also have a Resophonic, I think it's called that, I've used for years but they are more expensive. Best tuners in that price range for me are the Planent Waves and the GoGo tuner. I know on strings by mail, Sweetwater and some Amazon sites, you can get two Planet Waves for around 20 bucks. They're small, have a metronome and not bulky looking.

I've never like Snark Tuners because of the breakage, not being able to see the readings in bright sunlight and how bulky they are.

Last edited:
Okay thanks guys. Honestly, seeing that they break quite easily isn't too reassuring but I guess for the price point I can't complain. I'll give it a go to begin with and hopefully it holds up well

I have a couple of Snark tuners that have worked fine for years. Another couple broke along the way. I usually recommend DAddario tuners now for people looking for cheap tuners. They are more sturdy and seem just as accurate as the Snarks. I mostly use the DAddario NS now which is a small lightweight tuner designed to be left on your instrument all the time. DAddario also makes bigger tuners that have larger, easier-to-read screens.

Last edited:
I have used a super tight for about six years now. Works well on ukes and other instruments just needs a fresh battery every other year or so. I use it in different settings and I can even read it in bright sunlight. Already bought a second one as backup just in case it should break.

Top Bottom