Low G smoothwound strings...

🤙🏻 Fremont Soloist or Uke Logic Gold Alloy

• Fremont Soloist

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Uke Logic Gold Alloy

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I have ukes with both and I'm pretty sure they are the same string so pick either one and you'll be happy.

There is also the Thomastik-Infeld low G, which many people on the UU Forum have recommended.

I agree with counter. I think they are the same string.

Another good wound g string is thomastik cf30. Its not as boomy and a little more mellow. I prefer the soloist string because I like that it is louder.

I've got Aquila "reds" in low-G on a soprano pineapple and my Kala concert ... the G strings are not wound, just a bit thicker and, if I remember the "blurb" correctly, the G string is a slightly different composition, to balance the sound.

Inevitably - YMMV - :music:

There is a reason the Fremont soloist is the most popular and widely mentioned wound low G string......it works great. If you want a less chimey tone, more subdued and fundamental then the Thomastik Infeld CF30 is the way to go. These are really the only two “smooth wound” squeak less strings. If you don’t mind some finger noise there are lots of great classical guitar strings as Bill1 mentioned. Anything close to .030” in diameter works well.

La Bella low g is part of the Pepe Romero low g string set for tenor. Smoothwound and nicely balanced sound from the four strings.

A classical guitar D string may also do the job. The choices of classical guitar D strings is almost endless. They are easy to find, almost any guitar shop will have a selection to choose from.
They work, but don't seem to last very long while the soloist seems to outlast the other strings.

Top Bottom