Antica Ukuleleria Allegro Sopranino - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Very interesting. The other player reminded me of some very old videos of a player from the 30s and 40s, but I don't recall his name, always played a soprano and was lightening fast. I found his name, Roy Smeck!

I imagine this uke is very nice to hold, and it is really pretty.

But, I don't care who plays 'em, I really dislike the toy like sound of these itty bitty ukes. Ugh.

This wouldn't interest me, because I don't go anywhere I can't carry a concert size ukulele. Maybe if I lived in a 'tiny house'.

Last edited:
A beautiful instrument (apart from the tuning machines…) and the valve radio comment is perfectly descriptive of the sound. Not for me (I used to have a Kala Pocket Uke - which did have friction pegs! - and never quite got on with it) but I can imagine it being a lot of fun to play.

I've always been intrigued by this particular sopranino. I have to agree on the tuners, not a fan but otherwise it looks really nice. Not a fan of the tinny sound either to be honest. I find the not-so-impressive sound quite weird because there's a few sub-soprano sized ukes that don't sound that far off of a regular soprano, even factory made ones. Maybe it's the build of the uke since it's certainly non-standard. I think the sound wouldn't be a major issue since I think it suits the type of ragtime jazz music that I like to play quite well, but unfortunately I think these are quite hard to get ahold of since they can't be commissioned. Maybe if I spot one on stock I might get one.

I've always been intrigued by this particular sopranino. I have to agree on the tuners, not a fan but otherwise it looks really nice. Not a fan of the tinny sound either to be honest. I find the not-so-impressive sound quite weird because there's a few sub-soprano sized ukes that don't sound that far off of a regular soprano, even factory made ones. Maybe it's the build of the uke since it's certainly non-standard. I think the sound wouldn't be a major issue since I think it suits the type of ragtime jazz music that I like to play quite well, but unfortunately I think these are quite hard to get ahold of since they can't be commissioned. Maybe if I spot one on stock I might get one.

Know what you mean. I have come across the odd sopranino with a similar sound but there has been a key difference. They have been thin, but also quiet. This punches like a shotgun! So it has the volume and of course the build and playability are lovely.

Genuinely liking it the more I play it - do think it suits that style you mention - kind of like a sopranino wooden banjo..

Top Bottom