Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skullduggery on eBay

Default Skullduggery on eBay

I’ve got this soprano on eBay...and there is some underhand stuff going on...it was the same on the last one I sold....A bidder will bid a very high sum so that they will be winning only it’s just to find out how high the current winning bidder is prepared to go...when they find out, then they will retract the bid by saying I bid the wrong amount I could block anyone doing this from bidding but they may be doing it on behalf of some other bidder.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 08-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Wouldn't be easier to sell it on here in the Marketplace for the price you want, maybe then negotiate a bit?

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Wouldn't be easier to sell it on here in the Marketplace for the price you want, maybe then negotiate a bit?

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    That makes total sense to me, you have a lot of fans here, Mr. Timms.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

You coud just put a "buy it now" price on it. You have a real following and no reason you could not establish a fair retail price based on the variables of a specific build.

I'm not surprised that people are finding ways to beat the system. eBay confirms your bid amount pretty clearly after you have bid, and asks you to verify.

There are real positives for considering sales here, mainly that you wouldn't have to pay the combination of PayPal and eBay fees. I've lost nearly 30% of the value of an item to these fees, so I am not likely to use eBay as a seller ever again.

The positive about eBay is that it does offer the seller and buyer some protection against shady deals; and also, an item can sell for more than the seller ever hoped to get (but then will be brought back to earth by eBay and PayPal fees).
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Hmm, that is sneaky, "impolite" at best, and maybe against terms of use, but I'm not sure how it hurts you as a seller.

I agree with the others about just listing here, at least some. You could judge for yourself whether that process was better for you than eBay or not.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Hmm, that is sneaky, "impolite" at best, and maybe against terms of use, but I'm not sure how it hurts you as a seller.

I agree with the others about just listing here, at least some. You could judge for yourself whether that process was better for you than eBay or not.
    I was thinking this too... wouldn't it go to highest bidder eiyher way?
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Martin O sop, 1920's
    Martin O sop, 1960's
    Bruko Cedar/Mahogany archback
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Blue Frog semi-custom LN soprano #1, Vic Jones
    Sawchyn hog concert (Martin copy), Peter Sawchyn
    Kala KA-ASOV-C
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN

Quote Originally Posted by dlb511 View Post
    You coud just put a "buy it now" price on it. You have a real following and no reason you could not establish a fair retail price based on the variables of a specific build.
    Ken often does offer a Buy It Now (BIN) price price, but just as often, a potential buyer will meet the opening bid,at which point the Buy It Now option goes away, and it becomes a standard auction, usually for 5 days. The final price will usually approach the BIN price, and occasionally exceed it. Retracting a bid at the last minute is indeed a low class move, especially if it is being done intentionally/maliciously to screw up Ken's commerce. I suppose whenever you're the best at something, some others get jealous, and try to impede your success.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 08-12-2020 at 04:19 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I’ve got this soprano on eBay...and there is some underhand stuff going on...it was the same on the last one I sold....A bidder will bid a very high sum so that they will be winning only it’s just to find out how high the current winning bidder is prepared to go...when they find out, then they will retract the bid by saying I bid the wrong amount I could block anyone doing this from bidding but they may be doing it on behalf of some other bidder.
    Funny thing Ken. This is exactly the kind of skullduggery that people accuse SELLERS of doing using a second eBay account to maximise sale price.
    This is what people will accuse you of doing.
    It could be a fan of your work who believes they are doing you a "favour".

I'm not sure where you go from here.

And my suggestion.
    Maybe its time that you just put a "Good" price on your instruments. A price that pays your bills and you think you are worth. Make it a single Buy it Now price without an auction as well and stick to it.
    It may take a little longer to sell yet I believe that you have enough of a customer/support base to make it work.

Thread Information