Ortega eclipse cc-4

hawwwran

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a better uke than my first uke (Ortega RFU10Z). I would like it to look nice. For me, that means gloss finish and lining. The best would be pearl linig. I love Kamoa 700s, but that's unavailable.

I thought Ortega eclipse cc-4 would be a nice pick.

What do you think? Does it worth the price?

Thank you.

That certainly is a blingy instrument. However, I don't really regard Ortega as a very good brand in terms of playability and sound. At that ~ $300 price point there are loads of other alternatives. You could check out some of the more reliable brands like Flight, Islander, Kala or Ohana. Something like the Flight Voyager, Islander solid mahogany or Kala solid Acacia models might be to your liking but they don't have abalone (or any other pearl) binding. Also, Kai ukuleles are really nice for the money and have some features (most notably a side sound port) that other ukes at that price point don't have.

If you insist on the looks of the uke that you mentioned, the Snail SR-05CE is extremely similar to the Ortega you mentioned with an added arm rest. Even it it has only laminate back and sides I'll bet that it is a better instrument overall than the Ortega.

Hi there!

Take a look at the Oscar Schmidt/Washburn ukes... They check all of your boxes: Gloss finish, abalone inlays, gold tone tuners, maximum binding... plus a solid top too...I have an OU-13 concert and an OU-53 Bari... They look really nice! (Avoid the cheaper plywood ones).

Nothing I've seen has as much bling for your buck... and they sound pretty good, too!

Happy shopping...

Bill

Top Bottom