Best strings to tame a "tubby" C string.

gerardo1000

Reaction score
I just got delivery of a Lava U tenor ukulele, only acoustic (no built-in effects) and I like its warm and mellow sound. However, I find that the "C" string sounds a bit "tubby" and when I strum it has a sort of "drone" effect. The ukulele came with factory installed fluorocarbon strings (I do not know the brand), so I tried first to install D'Addario T2 Titanium strings, and the result was a brighter and more "snappy" tone that I do not dislike, but still with a certain amount of "tubbiness" when the C string was played especially open. Then I tried a set of D'Addario Clear Nylon strings, and this time the C string started sounding fine. However, these strings do not give the ukulele a lot of volume, and also they add mellowness to a uke that already has it in spades. Do you have any other suggestions ? Thanks !

Yes a wound 3rd string will alway cure that condition. Try a D’Addario NYL028, which is a silver wound classical guitar string in a diameter of .028”. I have used these on both tenor and concert scale.

Thank you for your geat suggestion! I just ordered a xouple of D'Addario NYL028W, and also a couple of NYL30W in case i find the tension of the 028 too light for my tenor!

Last edited:
Thank you for your geat suggestion! I just ordered a xouple of D'Addario NYL028W, and also a couple of NYL30W in case i find the tension of the 028 too light for my tenor!

You are welcome. If you like the result of a wound string but find the squeaking sound from finger slide annoying try a Thomastik Infield CF27. This is a smooth wound squeakless string, they are on the expensive side at over $6.00 compare to about $2.00 for the D’Addario. The Thomastik also has a less chimey tone, a little more netural sounding

Thank you ! I also see that D'Addario sells a wound C for ukulele, D'Addario J5403. Although it is a .036, I wonder if it is not too heavy ?

Thank you ! I also see that D'Addario sells a wound C for ukulele, D'Addario J5403. Although it is a .036, I wonder if it is not too heavy ?

That would be suitable for a wound D string on a baritone. Possible a low G on tenor but most are .030” diameter so the .036” would be high tension on a tenor G string location

Top Bottom