Problems with posts and PMs being truncated

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
I’m not sure where to post this thread on the forum. The past several days, whenever I try to post a new thread or send a PM, what I post ends up getting truncated/cut off somewhere within my post or on my PM. I have to keep going back in to edit or resend a PM...and even with trying to do those things, the same problem keeps happening. When I preview messages or posts, things look great, but once I post or try to send a PM, things get all wonky. I’ve tried clearing cache, cookies, history, rebooting, etc. Anyone else having these issues? Thx for your help!

Edit: Jerryc41, I keep trying to PM you and I don’t think my messages are getting sent out as I’ve written them to you.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing more and more problems posting here lately. I think it's because this forum is based in an old version of vBulletin and there's no one moderating the site anymore, so hangups keep happening without anyone to intervene. I wish I had the expertise and investment to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin and carry on the forum.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I experienced this just a few minutes ago. Strange experience. One that will become frustrating if it continues.

Thx for letting me know that I’m not experiencing this phenomenon alone. It’s definitely disconcerting as well as frustrating. Also, I wasn’t aware that the forum is now not being moderated — did I hear that right?

Thx for letting me know that I’m not experiencing this phenomenon alone. It’s definitely disconcerting as well as frustrating. Also, I wasn’t aware that the forum is now not being moderated — did I hear that right?

With these issues, I'm careful to copy my text before I post so I can try a second time if needed.

A couple of months ago Rayan, one of the forum's administrators, posted a notice that the forum needs to be updated and they have no money to do so, and a number of moderators have moved on leaving the forum without ongoing support. The word being that without an infusion of money to do an upgrade and people coming on as moderators, the site will eventually be forced to close.

I believe each of us should be responsible for contributing to the forum to keep it functioning, rather than just expecting a costly service like this to be free. On any forum for which I become a member, I always subscribe to the top tier, which is not at all costly.

Just experienced this with a post in the Beginners area.

My message stopped where I used the degree symbol for 45 degrees. Would not post anything beyond that. I removed it and spelled it out and it loaded the entire message. Weird.

iMac OS Catalina v10.15.5; Firefox Browser v79.0 (64-bit); Spectrum Cable 100 bps; Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi 6 Router.

This is the first time I have experienced any problems, other than the occasional system going down due to hacks.

But I do not use the Forum on either my iPad, nor my iPhone. I have used it on my laptop and the OS and browsers are the same as above.

I do not use Safari or Chrome browsers unless I absolutely have to. So far, I have been able to mostly avoid them both.

Last edited:
Would it help if everyone experiencing problems list what their environment consists of? By that I mean; browser and version, Platform operating system and version and the type and speed of your Internet connection.

btw, rayan, anaka, Aldrine Guerrero, seeso, Kanaka916, Ukulele JJ, buddhuu, UkuleleHill, wickedwahine11 are listed as moderators of this forum

Last edited:
Strange things are definitely afoot around here, indeed. I’ve been seeing other people’s posts cut off as well in reading other threads on the forum. I just also came from a thread, over on the SOTU, in which a member is talking about this happening to him with the truncation of his posts. I second Kohanmike’s advice to copy whatever you’re typing and then be ready to edit your post and then paste back in what you lose after you try to post the first time. This workaround seems to work, mostly.

iMac OSX v10.15.5; Firefox Browser v79.0 (64-bit); Spectrum Cable 100 bps; Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi 6 Router.

Would it help if everyone experiencing problems list what their environment consists of? By that I mean; browser and version, Platform operating system and version and the type and speed of your Internet connection. BTW, rayan, anaka, Aldrine Guerrero, seeso, Kanaka916, Ukulele JJ, buddhuu, UkuleleHill, wickedwahine11 are listed as moderators of this forum

I'm sure it's not our end, it's the old version of vBulletin 4.x, the newest version is 6.x. Even though they are listed as moderators, Rayan stated that they can't spend any time on the forum with their other schedules.

I just also came from a thread, over on the SOTU, in which a member is talking about this happening to him with the truncation of his posts.

What's SOTU (don't find anything but State of the Union)? I did experience similar problems with the Guitar Forum (bass), which is also on vBulletin 4.x.

I'm sure it's not our end, it's the old version of vBulletin 4.x, the newest version is 6.x. Even though they are listed as moderators, Rayan stated that they can't spend any time on the forum with their other schedules.

UU has been on vBulletin 4.x for a long time and we are seeing these problems with truncated posts only recently. It's caused by the vBulletin software that hasn't changed and not us? In science aren't recent changes in outcome related to the most recently changed variable? If it was solely the old site software wouldn't all users be seeing the problem regardless of their platform, browser or operating system instead of just some of us?

I'd like to know which browser side systems are adversely affected to see if they can be patched to provide backwards compatibility with the current UU software version.

I don't believe International web standards have been changed so that vBulletin 4.x is now obsolete. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_standards

Last edited:
kkimura,
Like Mike Kohan and others, I have frequently experienced the Forum freezing up, forcing me to shut down my browser, re-open it, then re-open and re-login to the UU site. I have also recently experienced the truncated message problem. For the record, I access the Forum on a 2019 iPad Air (3rd gen.); my browser is Safari.

I suspect the first thing you need to do is network with the owners and spend some time to get their trust and acceptance. Then you can find out what is really required. I expect that it extends beyond just sending money for a donation.

I've tried to communicate with them via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and PM, never got a response.

Your other comments make it seem like all young people only work one way and older all work another way. I play my ukes and basses pretty much everyday, and I like talking about uke playing and owning. This forum provides that differentiation because it's open to anyone. According to Rayan, the problem IS monetary and old technology.

It's said that when one person verbalizes a complaint, there are ten more that don't say anything, I think that's the case here. I was using two previous versions of the Mac OS, all of which had problems with UU, each time an OS is updated, more and more older software becomes problematic, that's why they update the apps and correct problems, which I'm sure is the case with vBulletin v4 compared to v6.

kkimura,
Like Mike Kohan and others, I have frequently experienced the Forum freezing up, forcing me to shut down my browser, re-open it, then re-open and re-login to the UU site. I have also recently experienced the truncated message problem. For the record, I access the Forum on a 2019 iPad Air (3rd gen.); my browser is Safari.

Hi Jan. thank you for sharing your browser and platform. I neglected to say that I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a Windows 7 PC. If everyone would share their experiences (good or bad) and their browser and platform, we could get an idea as to the scope of the problem. That information would point to the next logical step towards solving the issue.

To be statistically valid we need more than a few responses. Twenty or thirty would be great.

Hi Jan. thank you for sharing your browser and platform. I neglected to say that I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a Windows 7 PC. If everyone would share their experiences (good or bad) and their browser and platform, we could get an idea as to the scope of the problem. That information would point to the next logical step towards solving the issue.

To be statistically valid we need more than a few responses. Twenty or thirty would be great.

I'm using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Sometimes, I can't reply to a PM. I see the message, but I can't type anything. If I wait long enough, it usually starts working. That's apart from the usual problems of the program thinking I didn't wait 30 seconds to do another post, or having me banned for some reason.

I know we are all experiencing problems at times, but as others have said, this forum is barely hanging on. If we go to Admin with a bunch of complaints, that could sound the death knell. Maybe we just don't have a large enough membership to generate enough income from the advertising. I wonder if the site earns money when we click on an ad, or do we have to make a purchase? It take almost no effort to click.

According to Rayan, the problem IS monetary and old technology.

A woodworking forum I used to be really active on required you to be a member to place thread in the Marketplace (i.e. to sell stuff). $6 for a 1-year membership that allowed me to sell as many things as I wanted was a worthwhile investment. I wonder if that's ever been considered here. I would have NO issue with that, and it would probably help generate more consistant revenue. It would still be by far the best place to sell a uke.

A woodworking forum I used to be really active on required you to be a member to place thread in the Marketplace (i.e. to sell stuff). $6 for a 1-year membership that allowed me to sell as many things as I wanted was a worthwhile investment. I wonder if that's ever been considered here. I would have NO issue with that, and it would probably help generate more consistant revenue. It would still be by far the best place to sell a uke.

$6.00 for a year is almost nothing, and it would be especially good for people selling. I guess it would depend on how many people paid. If people are afraid that it's going to fold, why waste even $6.00. I've sold here, Reverb, and Fleamarket. Each has it's own customers, so if you skip listing a uke one, you could miss a sale.

Also to be clear. Non-members could respond to threads (and buy things). You just had to be a member to post a new thread in the Marketplace. This was aslo a vBulletin forum and it had a setting that locked you out of starting threads there if you were not a financial contributer. One downside is you need to have active enough mods to remove references for selling that popped up outside of the marketplace. It happened once in a while, usually by accident, but the mods and forum members all cared about keeping that stuff to contributerwho were placing ads in the Marketplace so usually errant fs posts came down quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom