Problems with posts and PMs being truncated

The following was copied from the vBulletin System Requirements web site page for their latest version: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/v...estions/4387853-vbulletin-system-requirements

"Mobile Browsers

These browsers may encounter limitations with some features (e.g. Site Builder and Richtext Editing) due to the limitation of the device.

Chrome on Android - Latest Version
Safari on iOS - Latest Version"

I don't use a mobile for UU, I only use my Mac. And the reference is to their latest version, not v4, which is the one that UU is on, and obvioulsy outdated.

I also could not update my profile photo, and have had a couple of posts that disappeared.

bk

I also could not update my profile photo, and have had a couple of posts that disappeared.

bk

Well, life goes on. I hope this forum continues, despite the glitches. If there's a problem, I go away for a while, and it's usually okay when I come back.

The problems don't happen to me all the time, but often enough to make mention. I'm sticking to this forun as long as it's on, I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited:
A woodworking forum I used to be really active on required you to be a member to place thread in the Marketplace (i.e. to sell stuff). $6 for a 1-year membership that allowed me to sell as many things as I wanted was a worthwhile investment. I wonder if that's ever been considered here. I would have NO issue with that, and it would probably help generate more consistant revenue. It would still be by far the best place to sell a uke.

People who are members of the UU Forum are encouraged to become VIP Members. If they don't want to commit to the annual membership, then any contribution is appreciated to keep the Forum going. It is also suggested that the seller contribute to the Forum when they sell anything on the Marketplace. But it's an honor system.

Check out the "Support The Forum" button at the top of the pages in the red bar.

Last edited:
People who are members of the UU Forum are encouraged to become VIP Members. If they don't want to commit to the annual membership, then any contribution is appreciated to keep the Forum going. It is also suggested that the seller contribute to the Forum when they sell anything on the Marketplace. But it's an honor system.

Check out the "Support The Forum" button at the top of the pages in the red bar.

Thanks. I was just looking the VIP membership, but I didnt realize that there was a direct donation option. I'll definitely make use of that.

I don't use a mobile for UU, I only use my Mac. And the reference is to their latest version, not v4, which is the one that UU is on, and obvioulsy outdated.

Sorry, just wanted to point out that the latest version, v5, hasn't addressed the issues on mobiles as outlined on the vBulletin site. And that UU is only one version release back. Their reference to Safari on the latest version of IOS in the mobile section could be interpreted to include text handling issues with Safari browsers running on all Apple devices with the latest version of IOS. I believe we found in a related thread about long delays that many if not all UU users had that problem with Safari. It could be the same for this text editing issue also. Or not, which is why I suggested we get a picture of what platforms, OS and browsers are affected. With that info we could make meaningful suggestions to the UU admins, and the vBulletin / browser developers.

Sorry, just wanted to point out that the latest version, v5, hasn't addressed the issues on mobiles as outlined on the vBulletin site. And that UU is only one version release back. Their reference to Safari on the latest version of IOS in the mobile section could be interpreted to include text handling issues with Safari browsers running on all Apple devices with the latest version of IOS. I believe we found in a related thread about long delays that many if not all UU users had that problem with Safari. It could be the same for this text editing issue also. Or not, which is why I suggested we get a picture of what platforms, OS and browsers are affected. With that info we could make meaningful suggestions to the UU admins, and the vBulletin / browser developers.

For what it’s worth...
I purchased my iPad Air about a year ago, and have not updated to a newer iOS since then, which means I am not using the “latest” iOS. The UU Forum operated just fine for me until earlier this year when Rayan asked everyone to consider moving to a different program. My technical difficulties with the Forum began shortly after that.

For what it’s worth...
I purchased my iPad Air about a year ago, and have not updated to a newer iOS since then, which means I am not using the “latest” iOS. The UU Forum operated just fine for me until earlier this year when Rayan asked everyone to consider moving to a different program. My technical difficulties with the Forum began shortly after that.

Now that's an interesting coincidence.

For what it’s worth...

I have had the same operating system as well; having said that, things on the UU Forum used to function without any hiccups up until about a week or so ago.

Isn't "auto-update" the default setting on Apple iPhones and laptops? I know my iPhone X updates IOS without my intervention.

Isn't "auto-update" the default setting on Apple iPhones and laptops? I know my iPhone X updates IOS without my intervention.

I’ve got my iOS devices set to notify me re: updates, but mine do not auto-update. But... I also have OLD iOS devices, tho, maybe the inability to intervene re: auto-updates is applicable to the more recent iOS devices?

Auto updates are a pain. They often interrupt things I am working on. I have my phone set to let me know before it updates. They have killed several apps I used.

My iPhone update itself without warning me and without asking for my consent. Perhaps I allow it too much autonomy?

#nerdalert

This looks like a server-side problem not (primarily) a client-side one. I just reproduced Kenn's degree symbol version by posting a message with a degree symbol in it while running Fiddler (an HTTP analyzer). The message posted to the server completely but truncated when displayed.

There could also be a client side component if some are sending unexpected symbols or other data that the server can't understand, but ultimately the server should handle that more gracefully than dumping the rest of the message.

And frustrating as it is, I hope it means that they're doing some input sanitization even if it's not being done well (though since the character passes preview, it looks more like a lack of sanitization. Time to create an account for Little Ukey Tables?)

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Last edited:
So UUs server is rejecting anything it doesn't recognize? Not very tolerant but safe. ;)

Wow! Four pages of responses without even one mention of a ukulele! This has to be a record.

I'll try updating my picture again and see if it works today...

Bill

I don't let my Mac or iPhone or iPad auto update, I choose when it happens so that it does not interfere with my work. I firmly believe the problem is on the server side.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the struggle one sometimes sees between significant others. Each partner says the other is responsible for the problem. The short tern resolution happens when one or the other backs down and lets the other prevail. Occasionally both will back down a little to let each other other prevail.

Almost always it is that some degree of communication has failed. And so it is with client server issues. The server should accept any and all clients or the client should accept any and all servers. Or.....

Top Bottom