String Advice

plunker

Reaction score
Odd but took out my tenor (Low G) and started tuning it, seemed like all the strings were almost 2 steps low. Tried to tune it with a pano app tuner. Anyway, had east coast low tension strings on it, that I really liked. Snapped the E string. Any suggestions on replacements. Thinking of Living Waters, but not sure if they will emulate the warm tones of the east coast strings. (Note: I really miss them)

I think Living Water are a great choice! You'll get as many opinions on here as there are people...:D:shaka:

I was expecting that. I like "warm" strings they go good with the mahogany tenor. Make a nice mellow sound.

Living Waters are great but for warm and mahogany you might prefer Worth Browns. I also really like Fremont Blacklines.

I agree with Living Waters, Worth Browns, Fremont BlackLines. Will add: Oasis Low-G Warm string set.

Thank you to all. Will update. I have had the east coast strings on for so long, something new is going to take some getting used to.

Got the Freemont Blacks. Brighter and louder than the East Coast. Still a nice sound. Have Oasis low g warms on back order
When they come woll be a real temptation not to put them on

Hi there!

Can't see what you are playing there in your pic, Plunker, but beware: Most of these "brown" and "black" strings that have been widely recommended here contain copper and will wear quickly into the fret board of a composite uke like a Fluke or an Enya Nova.

And to be honest: If they wear that quickly into a composite, that probably means they are also cutting into a hardwood fret board a bit more quickly too, right? (There is a posting here on this site about this... GotaUke I think posted it...

BTW: Those more high end Enya's are also using a fret board made of compressed natural material, like the Masonite of old... It will be interesting to see how these wear... I do appreciate that they are trying to get away from threatened species of trees and find a different solution.

I'm still attracted to those Aquila Sugar strings for the same reason, actually... But in the end, the solution needs to work, right?

Anybody tried one of these new wooden Enyas yet? Inquiring minds are waiting!

I know, I know... most of us have so many "daily driver" ukes that we will never cut into the fret board... right? But...

I'm pretty certain copper will outlast Rosewood...

So how about it, Worth Brown users? Are you seeing any signs of advanced fret board wear due to use of these strings?

I'm curious...

Thanks!

Bill

Hi there!

Can't see what you are playing there in your pic, Plunker, but beware: Most of these "brown" and "black" strings that have been widely recommended here contain copper and will wear quickly into the fret board of a composite uke like a Fluke or an Enya Nova.

And to be honest: If they wear that quickly into a composite, that probably means they are also cutting into a hardwood fret board a bit more quickly too, right? (There is a posting here on this site about this... GotaUke I think posted it...

BTW: Those more high end Enya's are also using a fret board made of compressed natural material, like the Masonite of old... It will be interesting to see how these wear... I do appreciate that they are trying to get away from threatened species of trees and find a different solution.

I'm still attracted to those Aquila Sugar strings for the same reason, actually... But in the end, the solution needs to work, right?

Anybody tried one of these new wooden Enyas yet? Inquiring minds are waiting!

I know, I know... most of us have so many "daily driver" ukes that we will never cut into the fret board... right? But...

I'm pretty certain copper will outlast Rosewood...

So how about it, Worth Brown users? Are you seeing any signs of advanced fret board wear due to use of these strings?

I'm curious...

Thanks!

Bill

I have never read or heard mention that Worth Brown strings contain copper. I would like to ask you to share the source of this information. I have used Worth Browns without a problem. Currently only a low G left on one of my instruments. I am always checking strings and frets for wear, and so far I'm good everywhere. The only exception of fret wear has been the Enya Nova, which showed fret wear after about 9 weeks from the original Enya fluorocarbons.

Yeah, I would've thought Worth Browns and Fremont Blacklines and the rest are just dark fluorocarbon. I certainly haven't heard about added copper or anything like that. I haven't seen any wear on any of my ukes and I use Worth Browns quite a lot. Maybe you're confusing them with Aquila Red which indeed contains copper powder.

Top Bottom