If I Had a Hammer (Trini Lopez)

Nice tribute to Trini, John. The clapping hands were a fun addition to your video. They brought back memories of the “floating hands” in Camsuke’s videos. (Which makes me wonder how Cam is doing...it’s been awhile since he has graced the Forum with his presence, and stellar music videos...)

Well, you rang all the right notes with THIS old boy John! :)
Well done matey.

Very nice. Reminded me that it's on my list of songs to sing soon. Now I have to figure out how this is different from Peter Paul and Mary version.

I heard about Trini's passing on the radio, and they played several snippets of his recordings. So nice to hear songs other than "Lemon Tree" - not that there's anything wrong with that song. Also mentioned his acting credits which include "The Dirty Dozen." Great job, John, and thanks for sharing with us.

Bill

Nice tribute to Trini, John. The clapping hands were a fun addition to your video. They brought back memories of the “floating hands” in Camsuke’s videos. (Which makes me wonder how Cam is doing...it’s been awhile since he has graced the Forum with his presence, and stellar music videos...)

Thanks, Jan! I'm hoping Campbell will start making videos again. I like the way his hands are highlighted in his videos... really smooth! :)

Well, you rang all the right notes with THIS old boy John! :)
Well done matey.

Thanks, Dave! Gotta love the way the songwriters tied the first three verses together in the last verse. Brilliant! :)

Very nice. Reminded me that it's on my list of songs to sing soon. Now I have to figure out how this is different from Peter Paul and Mary version.

Thanks, Merlin! The PPM version is great, too! :)

I heard about Trini's passing on the radio, and they played several snippets of his recordings. So nice to hear songs other than "Lemon Tree" - not that there's anything wrong with that song. Also mentioned his acting credits which include "The Dirty Dozen." Great job, John, and thanks for sharing with us.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! It's sad that he died of Covid-19. Makes me wonder if the U.S. had done a better job handling the pandemic if he would still be with us.

Nice job, John. I didn't know Trini had passed away. Damn COVID.
Anyway, godpseed Trini Lopez.

Nice job, John. I didn't know Trini had passed away. Damn COVID.
Anyway, godpseed Trini Lopez.

Thanks, Nickie! He passed away just a few days ago, but I didn't see it covered in the news much. I found out on Facebook. TAke care and stay safe!

Merlin, here are the chords I used. Em sounds good to my ears, too, so I think you can go with your preference.

intro: [C Am F G] [C Am F G] [C Am F ]
If [G] I had a [C] hammer [ Am F ] I’d [G] hammer in the [C] morn[Am]ing [F]
I’d [G] hammer in the [C] even[Am]ing, [F] all [G] over this [G7] land
I’d hammer out [C] danger, I’d hammer out a [Am] warning
I’d hammer out [F] love be[C]tween my [F] brothers and my [C] sisters
[F] ah-[G] ahh, all over this [C] land [ Am F G ]
[C Am F G] [C Am F G] [C Am F]

If [G] I had a [C] bell, [ Am F ] I’d [G] ring it in the [C] morn[Am]ing [F]
I’d [G] ring it in the [C] eve[Am]ning, [F] all [G] over this [G7] land
I’d ring out [C] danger, I’d ring out a [Am] warning
I’d ring about the [F] love be[C]tween my [F] brothers and my [C] sisters
[F] ah-[G] ahh, all over this [C] land [ Am F G ]