friction tuners, how do you like them?

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a ukulele with friction tuners.
I'm wondering (if you use friction tuners):

Do you like them?
Do you normally tune your strings roughly correct (e.g. +/- 7 cents)?
Do these tuners hold their position over time as well as geared tuners?
Do they require any maintenance (e.g. tightening the screws)?
What other advantages are there besides light weight?
Anything that I should know about them? (warnings?)

Thanks!

I love them. A really cheap set will be frusrating to use, but even a decent quality set works fine for me.

They hold tuning just fine. Yes, you will periodically need to tighten the screws. Most people's issue is that because they have a 1-1 ratio a tiny amount of turn can result in a large change in tuning (relative to a geared tuner). This can make it hard for some to dial them onto the note. If you are used to geared tuners they do take a mental adjustment. You need to get used to moving them just a tiny bit to land on that note. If you try to turn them as far as you would a geared tuner you will end up hopping around the note. Ooops to high, ooops now too low, oops too high again, etc...

Like I said I love them. You just need to make a mental adjustment in how much you are turning them.

Other advantage to lightweight is really fast string changes. The 1-1 ratio lets you unwind and wind really fast without the use of a winder. Admittedly, a very small, fairly pointless advantage unless you are changing strings contantly, but still, I always appreciate it when I am doing so.

The quality of tuners does matter though. What is the uke and/or what kind of tuners are one it?

Last edited:
The quality of tuners does matter though. What is the uke and/or what kind of tuners are one it?

Thanks for the info. I'm considering a KoAloha KSM-02, they use their branded friction tuners.

Thanks for the info. I'm considering a KoAloha KSM-02, they use their branded friction tuners.

I found those to be excellent tuners. If you don't like those, I think you would be unlikely to like any friction tuner. They are among the very best.

If you like the instrument, I'd say get it, give the tuners are try for a while, and if you can't get used to them stick Gotoh Planetary tuners on.

Last edited:
The KoAloha friction tuners work well. I have them on two ukes. I prefer them to the 14:1 ratio geared tuners but less than the 4:1 Gotoh planetary. If I look at a KoAloha, I have no hesitation.

Do you like them?
Yes, I prefer them to geared tuners but not to planetary gears.

Do you normally tune your strings roughly correct (e.g. +/- 7 cents)?
No, I tune the strings exactly correct. With a little bit of practice it's not hard. If you have a not-so-accurate friction tuner you can first tune the string slightly sharp and then loosen the string which is easier and more accurate on a wonky friction tuner, imo.

Do these tuners hold their position over time as well as geared tuners?
Yes, if they are at least decent quality.

Do they require any maintenance (e.g. tightening the screws)?
Yes, but decent quality tuners require tightening quite rarely.

What other advantages are there besides light weight?
In my opinion, easier restringing and better looks.

Anything that I should know about them? (warnings?)
Just to reiterate, if you have quality friction tuners they should be fine and you shouldn't worry about them even if you're not used to them before. I'll go on the record that KoAloha friction tuners are some of the best I've used. The tuners themselves are high-quality and the buttons are large enough that you can get enough torque to tune the strings accurately. Don't let these tuners dissuade you from your purchase.

Friction tuners are no problem at all. As long as they are not super cheap plastic ones you will get on with them just fine.

My KoAloha Concert had friction tuners and I never got comfortable with them. After a couple of years of struggle and frustration, I had them swapped out with Gotoh UPT planetary tuners. I'm a happy player now! My old Harmony Baritone also had friction tuners and they were like trying to tune with a hammer. I almost immediately had a set of regular Grover geared tuners installed.

I'm not concerned with keeping the original configuration and equipment. I have these instruments to play and make music. If I get frustrated and impatient with the equipment, I'll change it.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding Gotoh planetary tuners and replacing tuners:

I have them on my Kamaka, and their low gear ratio makes them hard to use.
I don't want to replace the tuners unless it is a ukulele I really want; and the KoAloha doesn't qualify (maybe if I can experience its sound in person, then I'd think differently).
I guess part of my problem is that I've never experienced 1:1 tuners and worry about not being able to tune the instrument easily (and that means not wanting to play it).

On maintenance:

How often do you have to tighten the screws on those KoAloha tuners?
Do they gradually loosen? or does it happen quickly (i.e. do I need to carry a screwdriver) ?

If you have trouble with Gotoh planetary tuners, you're going to hate friction tuners!

Agreed. If you're struggling with the planetary tuners I would forget the KoAloha unless you're willing to install new tuners, be it geared or planetary. Another option is to get either a tenor scale KoAloha which have geared tuners stock or get one of the Silver Edition KoAlohas if you can find one. No long neck soprano available for those models though.

I have two ukes with friction tuners and with little practice find them to work fine, though I don't like them. I don't dislike them enough to contemplate replacement of the old Kamaka ones right away and will definitely keep the KoAloha as they are now.

Regarding Gotoh planetary tuners and replacing tuners:

I have them on my Kamaka, and their low gear ratio makes them hard to use.

You got a lot of great responses above, but I would especially agree with @Snargle and @Dohle.

Regular geared tuners are typically 14:1 or higher. Planetary are 4:1. If the lower ratio of planetary are problematic for you, I can't see how you would be okay with the 1:1 ratio of friction tuners.

That 1:1 ratio seems to be the primary reason people dislike friction tuners (assuming we're not talking about issues that stem from overly cheap quality).

I like friction tuners and have no complaints with them. I also much prefer the look over most other options

My Fluke tenor had friction tuners. I tried them, they were horrible IMHO and I bought a reamer and called MFC and purchased Pegheds.
The installation was easy and they work fine. I think I’d rather have Gotoh planetary tuners but they don’t fit. I have not tried waverly or KoAloha friction tuners, so can’t comment. My Opio tenor by KoAloha had great sealed , geared tuners. Basically, I run from friction tuners but would encourage trying Gotoh planetary tuners. One nice thing about KoAloha geared tuners is they do NOT have a set screw. So, changing to Gotoh planetary tuners is very easy. HMS have a great video by Joel on doing this. Just a thought. Same would apply if you got a soprano or concert. Frictions are easy to pull out and replace with no HOLES left in back of head stock!

I used to be rather anti-friction tuners... but now (somehow) most of my ukuleles have friction tuners.
The ukuleles I really wanted just happened to come with them.

Do I still hate them?
Not really. They're certainly do the job if you know how to use them.
They just require a different technique.

On geared tuners, if your ukulele has gone slightly flat, you just need to rotate slowly up to pitch.

On friction tuners, you would have to loosen the strings and tighten back up to pitch. You may have to try a few times "back n forth" motion to get it just right. Once correct, then they can be tuned just as accurately as geared tuners. It just takes a bit of practice.

While I prefer geared tuners in general for their ease of use, I don't mind having friction tuners. They have their advantages (lighter weight on the headstock and cleaner appearance since they're not sticking out like ears).

I have friction tuners on my Opio soprano and have had a good experience. It keeps a tune well with one what infrequent play...It just takes some work to get the tuning just right before playing each time.

Thanks everybody for the details.

I'm glad I posted this instead of just buying the ukulele first.
My gut feeling is that I'm not going to like the friction tuners, but was hoping maybe I can be talked into getting the uke.

I've decided to not buy the KoAloha.

Unless I’ve missed it there hasn’t been a comment about finger strength and fine control with regard to friction tuners. ( EDIT. TIP, something like a violin peg turner can be a big help. A short length of old broom handle with a slot cut in one end works well.) I love friction tuners on Sopranos; IMHO friction tuners are a neat, simple and cost effective design that works really well (provided reasonable manufacture, correct use and appropriate string tensions). However if someone has arthritis or limited finger strength then they might not be suitable for them. You also need to have a reasonably ‘fine touch’ too as just a ‘few’ degrees of peg rotation will take a string both to and out of pitch. To my way of thinking geared tuners become the better choice on longer scale instruments, because as length and (associated) string tension increase friction tuners become a ‘can be used’ option rather than a very good one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom