Fretting with thumb

Dbhughes

Reaction score
I am brand new to ukulele and was wondering if is ever acceptable to reach around with your thumb to fret notes? I tried doing a search and only found posts about thumb strumming. In my case, I am talking about the E chord. The only way I can get all 4 stings to ring true is to use middle finger on 2nd fret A string, pinky on 3rd fret E string, ring finger on 3rd fret C string and then I reach around with my thumb to fret the G# at the first fret of G string. Is this a ridiculous solution or does anyone else fret the E chord this way?

In the beginning, I did some crazy stuff in order to fret C# major and Bb major. A little bit later it became unnecessary. So I would advise to keep practicing all your chords. Eventually you'll get the manual dexterity.

There is no right or wrong. I think your only consideration is whether or not your E chord allows you to easily transition to other chords. In a lot of songs you move from E to A. Can you do that with your E chord? If you can, then it is fine. I would tend to think that your E chord wouldn't be very well suited to the transition, but I would happily revoke my demurring if you could prove me wrong.

As a final note, here's my E. The key of E is my home key, the one I write in and I am very comfortable in it. Here's how I do the E major. With my ring finger I fret the 2nd fret of the A string and with my index finger I fret the first fret of G string. The trick is to slant the index finger so that while it is fretting that G# on the G string it is also barely touching the C string thereby choking off its sound. The C string and the open E string are redundant. They are both an E. So just take the C string out of the equation; it makes everything a lot simpler.

Wow, thank you, it is so much easier to play your way!

Years ago when I first started uke I was playing for a music therapist I worked with. She's a pretty good guitarist. I used my thumb to fret on one chord and made an excuse for doing so. She told me not to worry, as long as it sounds ok there's no wrong or right way. A friend of mine who is a very sought after musician by several big names plays guitar and keys. I've seen him do it as well. He's the most gifted musician I've ever known. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. I don't do it very often but when I need to I do.

While fretting with the thumb is often not considered "proper technique" lots of guitarists do as do 5-string banjo players in order to fret the drone string up the neck. I don't do it on uke, but I do occasionally do it on guitar bass strings. I would say in general regarding left hand techniques.

1. Make sure it doesn't cause pain
2. Make sure it allows you to fret the note clearly
3. Make sure it doesn't make other things (transitioning to other chords) harder.

That said, while I don't think it is always necessary to use "proper technique" often things are played a certain way for a reason. Ultimatly, it's nice to have different ways to fret the same chord because depending what chord you are coming from or going to, one way may be more efficient than the other. Go ahead and play it your way (assuming the 3 points above are met), but I would still encourage you learn to fret it as it's typically taught.

Last edited:
The wrap-around-thumb... it's interesting that many pros do it (esp. guitar) while all teachers of beginners discourage it.
I think the reason that it is discouraged for beginners is that it can lead to bad habits that'll impeded learning because your thumb will be out of place for most other chords.
Kind of like playing a guitar hanged very low (lots of pros do it; but highly discouraged for beginners) because your hand position will be different when you play sitting down.

When I was 15 in 1965 I took guitar lessons and was told the best way to play is with the thumb acting as a foundation on the back of the neck. It allowed me to play a great variety of chords without straining, especially barre chords. I actually cringe when I see someone use their thumb on the strings.

The leader of my group constantly says that the E chord is not a friendly chord on the uke, so I stayed away from it, but when I started playing with an acoustic group of people in a park on Sundays a couple of years ago, most where guitar players and they key of E was used often, which forced me to learn the uke E chord. It actually didn't take me long, thumb on the back of the neck as a foundation, index finger on the A string 2nd fret, ring finger on the G string 4th fret and slightly pressing on my pinky on the C string 4th fret and also on the E string 4th fret. I play tenor only.

E chord uke 900.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Last edited:
I am brand new to ukulele and was wondering if is ever acceptable to reach around with your thumb to fret notes? I tried doing a search and only found posts about thumb strumming. In my case, I am talking about the E chord. The only way I can get all 4 stings to ring true is to use middle finger on 2nd fret A string, pinky on 3rd fret E string, ring finger on 3rd fret C string and then I reach around with my thumb to fret the G# at the first fret of G string. Is this a ridiculous solution or does anyone else fret the E chord this way?

The guy that leads our ukulele club does that all the time.

Feng E shows off his thumb-fretting in this video with slick multi-angle close-ups. He is probably 11 years old in this video. Love the big smile when he messes up at the end :)

I use my thumb over the top for diminished chords.

Just to balance out all the celebrity endorsements for the thumb, remember that standard technique is standard for a reason; it works for most people in most situations. The problem with saying Jimi Hendrix did this, or Eddie Van Halen did that is that none of us are Jimi or Eddie and therefore the results won't be the same. Standard technique on the other hand presumes that we aren't savants and gives us some tried and true ways to approach the instrument.

Just as an experiment I took some chords whose G string I normally cannot be arsed to fret and I tried to use my thumb: the m7 with the root on the G string, the major triad rooted on the E string, the minor triad rooted on the E string, the 7sus2 and m11. I found it impossible as well as an ergonomic nightmare. I understand that if you're playing slash chords on a guitar that it is helpful. However I don't see the pay-off with the uke. I suppose it all goes back to training. We're good at what we practice. So if you practice to use your thumb, it can be normalized to be a part of your technique. It seems like it is more complicated than just using the common fingerings...but the music's about the music; there are no style points. If the thumb works for you, go for it.

When I was 15 in 1965 I took guitar lessons and was told the best way to play is with the thumb acting as a foundation on the back of the neck. It allowed me to play a great variety of chords without straining, especially barre chords. I actually cringe when I see someone use their thumb on the strings.

The leader of my group constantly says that the E chord is not a friendly chord on the uke, so I stayed away from it, but when I started playing with an acoustic group of people in a park on Sundays a couple of years ago, most where guitar players and they key of E was used often, which forced me to learn the uke E chord. It actually didn't take me long, thumb on the back of the neck as a foundation, index finger on the A string 2nd fret, ring finger on the G string 4th fret and slightly pressing on my pinky on the C string 4th fret and also on the E string 4th fret. I play tenor only.

E chord uke 900.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)
I think from a classical perspective the thumb planted on the back of the neck is "proper", but I seldom see anyone, professionals included, that are faithful followers. Speaking just for myself, I'm not a static position player and I move the neck up and down a lot. I find the thumb behind the neck really aids with bar chords, but beyond that it just doesn't work to try to keep it there all the time.

Wow, thanks for all of the great info. While being brand new to the ukulele, I played guitar for many years using the SRV “grip”. I agree with both riprock and kohanmike. I am going to start working diligently on fretting chords properly and getting my thumb further behind the neck. Thanks again for everyone’s time and consideration regarding my question.

I don't think what you describe is an E chord. Maybe if you played E and C strings on 4th fret...

Yes, don't fret with thumb. You can mute though the G-string, if needed. That I think is a valuable one to to know.

Some say that technique is also bad and always thumb should just stay behind the neck.

I say it depends as uke is a folk instrument and how it is played. With or without strap and anyways uke is such a light piece of wood ;)

I come from steel string guitar background where using the thumb is very common, and I carried the habit over to uke. But as I got a bit more analytical of how I play I realised that using the thumb is way more effort than four fingers for four strings so I don't do it any more.

Top Bottom