Beatles Tribute Band - With Ukes!

Wow. They sound great!

For whatever reason (probably the interesting harmonic structures they use) I find that Beatles music suits the uke's voice better than a lot of other pop music (I use the term "pop music" broadly to mean any main stream commercial music). I was in the car this morning and "When I'm 64" came on the radio. I immeadiatly thought to myself, "this song sounds like it could have been written for the uke". I guess for that song inparticular the rhythmic structure would really suit a uke well.

Anyway. These guys seem great!

Last edited:
Wow. They sound great!

For whatever reason (probably the interesting harmonic structures they use) I find that Beatles music suits the uke's voice better than a lot of other pop music (I use the term "pop music" broadly to mean any main stream commercial music). I was in the car this morning and "When I'm 64" came on the radio. I immeadiatly thought to myself, "this song sounds like it could have been written for the uke". I guess for that song inparticular the rhythmic structure would really suit a uke well.

Anyway. These guys seem great!

Wow! The lead singer has a great voice.

Ohh, combining some of my favorites - ukuleles and The Beatles. :)
Thanks for posting that.

Wow. They sound great!

For whatever reason (probably the interesting harmonic structures they use) I find that Beatles music suits the uke's voice better than a lot of other pop music.

Our group plays quite a bit of Beetles music, and I've found it to be different form other songs. I can't describe it in musical terms, but the progression of notes is different, and I almost know what note is coming next. It's not the simplest music to play on a uke, but practice makes almost perfect. One thing I've found, it's very easy to pick out the single notes of a beetles song, whatever that means.

They are pretty terrific. My group does a number of Beatles songs, and in a rare moment, I just sent the link to our leader, who I know will very much appreciate Beat-Lele.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

For whatever reason (probably the interesting harmonic structures they use) I find that Beatles music suits the uke's voice better than a lot of other pop music

I believe that all of the Beatles (perhaps not Ringo) played ukuleles before they learned guitar. Postwar economics in Britain made guitars quite a luxury purchase by comparison, so ukes were a common "starter" instrument. George, of course, never lost his enthusiasm for them.

I believe that all of the Beatles (perhaps not Ringo) played ukuleles before they learned guitar. Postwar economics in Britain made guitars quite a luxury purchase by comparison, so ukes were a common "starter" instrument. George, of course, never lost his enthusiasm for them.

I knew George loved them. I figured the others noodled with them some but I wasn't sure to what extent. That's cool.

Beat-Lele has been playing in the Waikiki hotels for a few years. Their 2018 studio album was nominated for a Nā Hōkū Hanohano award (from the Hawaiian Academy or Recording Arts). The HI Sessions YouTube channel has a good set of live videos of them playing.

GeorgeHarrisonUkulele.jpg
Here's a shot of George.

They certainly did know their way around the Uke, no matter what the song or the situation!

Scooter

Great post. Thanks for sharing. These lads are fantastic. Amazing what our little ukulele can do. Now, these guys have musical chops and great voices. I’ve been watching all their videos. Very uplifting .
Cheers

Forgot to ask, do we know which ukulele brands they had. The Baritone played by “John” looked like an Islander by the the head stock. I couldn’t make out the 8 string but was thinking Kanile’a. Any idea what the bass ukulele was. Also, I’m always pleasantly surprised how cool and how much the “box” does for percussion. Cajon I think they are called. Reminds me of the skiffle days.

I don't know what make they played, but the real George was playing a Kamaka in the video above, he was very partial to Kamaka. I have no idea what Paul's resonator was.

Forgot to ask, do we know which ukulele brands they had. The Baritone played by “John” looked like an Islander by the the head stock. I couldn’t make out the 8 string but was thinking Kanile’a. Any idea what the bass ukulele was. Also, I’m always pleasantly surprised how cool and how much the “box” does for percussion. Cajon I think they are called. Reminds me of the skiffle days.

The bass is a Kala U-Bass, looks like koa.

Top Bottom