LMII Offer

Received mail about LMII soprano ukulele plan offer... avoid.. IMHO the only useful soprano ukulele plan is found here:

http://www.grellier.fr/en/downloads

It is an accurate measured drawing of a style 2 Martin soprano and its free. The photo set is worht a gander too :)

I have that one (it's a style 1) ...and the Scott Antes plan as well ...With both of these plus the measurements i have taken from the three original Martin sopranos that I own I recon I could make a more accurate drawing...but it wouldn't differ much from the Grellier..the only thing I do, thats diferent is, I use a Spruce bridge plate instead of the Mahogany one thats on the drawing.

Last edited:
Thing is, Martin were not always consistent with use of materials and there is always the 'repaired' sample. Something I believe strongly about Stradivari which were always 'worked on' over time.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me Ken. The Grellier source is good because its free and really much better than the others for it but as usual. your are the expert! Get the package yet?

Pete

I'd rather a Ken Timms original than a Martin :)

I'm not taking sides here, but I've been using the Antes plan since at least 2004, before the Grellier plan was available. I have one Style 1 Martin as a reference (not sure how old, but not an "early" one). and the body shape profile matches both well. What I noticed is a few mm difference in the location of the sound hole. The Grellier plan matches my sample instrument more closely.

AntesVsGrellier.jpg

GrellierVsMartin.jpg

Thing is, Martin were not always consistent with use of materials and there is always the 'repaired' sample. Something I believe strongly about Stradivari which were always 'worked on' over time.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me Ken. The Grellier source is good because its free and really much better than the others for it but as usual. your are the expert! Get the package yet?

Pete

Bold added by me for clarity.

IIRC the Sopranos that you made for some members of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain are much used and loved by their owners (members of UOGB have been doing videos of their Ukulele collections). As such Pete credit where it’s due, the ‘top guys’ recon you make a mighty fine Soprano so you’re a Soprano expert too.

Top Bottom