Moonbird string choice

Theblackegg

Reaction score
Just curious, wondering what string sets fellow moonbirders were using and why.
As the builds seem so consistent would be interested in what you think gets the most from your Uke, and for what playing style etc.
I’m currently using Pepe high g carbons but will be using the Aquila Aldrines soon for a complete contrast in tone.

I'd be interested in people's experiences as well. I've been using only black fluorocarbon strings on mine. I used the stock aNueNue Black Water strings for a while and then switched to Worth Browns which sound very similar but maybe a tiny bit more mellow. But since black fluorocarbon, I think, is slightly lower tension than clear fluorocarbon and also because the scale length on the soprano Moon Bird is a tad shorter than most of my other sopranos, I find the tension to be a bit too low. Then again, I do wonder if clear fluorocarbon would make the sound too bright. I'll probably try this at some point but I'd be curios to hear comments.

aNueNue Black Waters here also

Stock black water with Aquila Red Low G on my soprano moon bird. Love the mellowness of the red nylon Low g as some Low g can be too overpowering and had a drone like sound. This combination makes the voice more guitarish, which I like very much.

I use Fremont Blacklines in mine and it sounds absolutely amazing. Very clear and bell-like.

I am currently using worth brown low G on my tenor moon bird and really like them. I liked the original black water strings but found the C string a bit boomy and overbearing (which might not be a problem on soprano or concert). The worth browns are really clear and balanced, great sustain, not too bright. I also like getting a low G that matches the other strings in tone and volume.

Top Bottom