Kamehameha Ukulele?

oneeyegringojoe

Reaction score
Hi, anyone know anything about these:
https://www.kamehamehaukulele.com/
https://www.facebook.com/kamehamehaukulele/

They seem to have started up in the last few years (could be totally wrong about that).

I'm a beginner player, I own a Cordoba 15TB-E, and a Bruce Wei soprano. I've had some trouble with both of those, but nothing horrible, I like them quite a lot. So, I found one of these Kamehameha ukes on ebay, and I bought it. It arrived, and it's nice enough, looks good, intonation good, and sounds nicer than my Cordoba. But, here's the thing, where did this ukulele come from? I fully expected to find a made in china sticker on there somewhere, as I was expecting these are offshore rebranded ukuleles, but there's nothing. I've emailed them for more info, but haven't heard back yet. I'm just very curious because this one seems great, but the brand is ghost, no reviews or info anywhere. Not even an about page on their website? And, their website sells Kanile'a and Kamehameha exclusively, which seems like a weird combo. So, anyone ever heard of these?

Ok I am a bit shocked. On my last three visits to Oahu during the last year I spent considerable time visiting ukulele stores and I totally missed the three locations indicated by their website. And I did a lot of google searching and discussing stores here on the forum. How could I miss these? Anyway the ukes seem to be a store brand and likely made in China similar to others in this price range. I sure hope we can travel safely again soon so I can go back and check out them out.

Pretty weird mana naming a uke brand after such a prominent and idolized aliʻi. I sure wouldn't play one unless they happened to be made IN Kohala BY a descendant of Kamehameha himself (which they're not, unless I've been living under a rock). Strange stuff happens in Hawaiʻi...

But they look cool.

Speaking of... I saw a video of a factory tour recently, I think it was Kanile'a, using beach sand for inlays. I cannot imagine taking one of those home. lol

That's for their high end models. I think that new super tenor has the whole generational decoration made from sand.

I was not aware of the Kanileʻa sand thing. Interesting business choice. I mean, if you have a deep personal connection to an ocean place, maybe I could see it being appropriate in a custom build for one person. But for general production to be shipped all over the world to anybody...? Yikes. Kind of gives me the creeps having seen what I've seen.

Hate to judge since I know Oʻahu is a very different place than Hawaiʻi Island. Maybe that's not even something that they think about. But I know a lot of people here who would WAY rather that sand just stay at the beach where it belongs.

Hi, anyone know anything about these:
https://www.kamehamehaukulele.com/
https://www.facebook.com/kamehamehaukulele/

They seem to have started up in the last few years (could be totally wrong about that).

I'm a beginner player, I own a Cordoba 15TB-E, and a Bruce Wei soprano. I've had some trouble with both of those, but nothing horrible, I like them quite a lot. So, I found one of these Kamehameha ukes on ebay, and I bought it. It arrived, and it's nice enough, looks good, intonation good, and sounds nicer than my Cordoba. But, here's the thing, where did this ukulele come from? I fully expected to find a made in china sticker on there somewhere, as I was expecting these are offshore rebranded ukuleles, but there's nothing. I've emailed them for more info, but haven't heard back yet. I'm just very curious because this one seems great, but the brand is ghost, no reviews or info anywhere. Not even an about page on their website? And, their website sells Kanile'a and Kamehameha exclusively, which seems like a weird combo. So, anyone ever heard of these?

Hey brother! I have one of these coming in today. I got to talk to one of the store owners prior to ordering it. He said they are made in China and put together and customized at their store front in Hawaii. They started up last year in 2019 which is why not many people know about them. I can’t wait to get mine in the aesthetics are beautiful. Mines made of acacia wood and the inlays in the fret are awesome. I’ll post pics when it comes in today but ran across this while researching and thought I’d give you a few answers that I got from the guy.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a novice ukulele player (5 months, 5 ukuleles... lol...) but I just got one of the Kamehameha solid top mahogany (Nato) tenor ukes in yesterday (KT-19). It is really beautiful, lovely finish, great sustain and just a pleasure to play. The folks on the eBay store answered all my questions, and shipped SUPER fast (ordered 15th Sept, and came in 19th Sept!). Yes, they are made in China, but set up in their Honolulu shop before shipping. Couldn't be happier. I will be back for more (maybe by Christmas-- the hubby isn't digging the uke-a-month club thing... ) :)
Lauren
Lanikai LU22 CFM (limited edition)
Lanikai LU21 S
Lanikai LU21 T
Kala KA-JTE/2TS Archtop

Mana

Pretty weird mana naming a uke brand after such a prominent and idolized aliʻi. I sure wouldn't play one unless they happened to be made IN Kohala BY a descendant of Kamehameha himself (which they're not, unless I've been living under a rock). Strange stuff happens in Hawaiʻi...

But they look cool.

I was thinking the same thing, AND wondering about the Kanile'a choice to add Hawaiian sand... to this outsider looking in, both choices seem tone deaf to the culture and traditions the ukulele's home.

did you ever get your uku in? I too am looking at getting an acacia wood uku and was curious to know what your thoughts were about it?

Sorry for the late addition to this thread. I just came across this ukulele brand by accident and made some inquiries at the shop in Honolulu. I have a hunch that this ukulele might be made by the same Chinese manufacturer that makes Flight ukuleles. There are many design similarities between the Kamehameha Mango Tenor (KT-55) and the Flight Fireball Mango Tenor (https://flightmusic.com/product/flight-fireball-eq-a-tenor-ukulele/). For example, the fret markers are identical as are the red button pins to secure the strings on the bridge. The pricing is very similar as well. The person I on-line "chatted" with at Kamehameha Ukuleles said he/she had not heard of the Flight brand.

Sorry for the late addition to this thread. I just came across this ukulele brand by accident and made some inquiries at the shop in Honolulu. I have a hunch that this ukulele might be made by the same Chinese manufacturer that makes Flight ukuleles. There are many design similarities between the Kamehameha Mango Tenor (KT-55) and the Flight Fireball Mango Tenor (https://flightmusic.com/product/flight-fireball-eq-a-tenor-ukulele/). For example, the fret markers are identical as are the red button pins to secure the strings on the bridge. The pricing is very similar as well. The person I on-line "chatted" with at Kamehameha Ukuleles said he/she had not heard of the Flight brand.

Kanile'a is located in Kaneohe (edit: adjacent to Kailua, but not there) where a beautiful beach is located. The sand is likely from their morning surfing before they come to work. Then they shake out their slippas and board shorts and use that sand. So there is no true environmental impact.

Last edited:
Well, they certainly have some competitive pricing. They are pretty, too. The sound demo of the solid mango one sounded very crisp, lively, with an emphasis on the higher tones.

That uke is definitely made in the same factory as the Flight Fireball. It's identical bar the headstock. Even the side soundport is the same. I've also seen some other brands make very similar ukes to certain Flight models. Seems to be a downside of outsourcing / off-shoring. Oh well...

Top Bottom