Interested in Resonator Ukes...comments and suggestions please

LarryL

Reaction score
I found this old thread started in 2012:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...o-owns-a-resonator-uke-and-who-makes-good-one

I was wondering if since this time, opinions have changed, new models have come out, etc.

I sure like the sound of the Morton that Casey MacGill plays...but of course he could probably make any of them sound good !

I like the looks of the Sound Smith, but I realize that is a poor reason to purchase it...more important is playability and sound.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions

Last edited:
Well if you can afford them: National, Mya Moe, Beltona for some of the top tier resonators. There are some other luthiers that make high quality ones as well. Then Sound Smith and Gold Tone. And finally Kala and Gretch. Perhaps a few I've missed.

Sound Smith had a favorable review with Barry Maz. Gold Tone has a favorable review from Ragzdaddy (Reso uker) on youtube. Take the reviews for what they are, I've seen many of Bazmaz reviews and think he is open and honest about what he says and thinks.

I recently bought the Gold Tone tenor scale maple resonator. I'm happy with the scale length. I like the sound of the wood resonators versus the sound of the metal or fiberglass ones. Though when I saw Del Ray play live she made her resonator sing and sound like a bell! I've not yet decided on the overall quality of the sound of the Gold Tone. Some songs I'm pretty happy some leave me wondering. I played it again today after letting it rest for more than a week and there were a few times when I was pleasantly surprised. I've only had it about a month. There was one finish drip mark on the back, one finish rough spot on the back and a visible shim piece where the fret board meets the body. It is solid in that place however. Other build quality issues I'm satisfied with. I do like the build overall with the maple, the binding, the neck, fretboard and all. Don't recall the maker of the strings. They seem heavy and are white colored. I may change the strings down the road.
Price point quality sound seems about right. I'd like to hear what others have to say about their Sound Smith and Gold Tone reso ukes.

"I'd like to hear what others have to say about their Sound Smith and Gold Tone reso ukes." Thanks mjh42 for the input

I agree, I would like more input on Sound Smith especially.

There are two Mya Moe resonator tenors on Reverb right now. One in particular is very reasonably priced.

i own a Beltona resonator. i really like it. Keep in mind that they are very loud. I think there's a Beltona for sale here in UU Marketplace. It looks really cool, and they sound great, I think.

I may upgrade someday.....the Beltona and MyaMoe went for very reasonable prices recently.....just couldn't get past the yellow color on the Beltona.....oh well.....and I couldn't swing the $1700 to get a used National to my house from Elderly......I'll keep my ears and eye's open for an affordable to me instrument.....for now I'll play the Gold Tone and see where it takes me....

Top Bottom