5 String - Who uses it?

polstein

Reaction score
Doing my research on 5-strings but not seeing anything newer then 2 years. Does anyone use a 5-string Uke as their main instrument - or is it more of a novelty?

If you do - which order do you have the 2 strings (low g on the outside, or the high g)?

Seems ideal for strumming, and I did see videos where it should be easier to pick 1 string (the one on the outside) but with practice you can learn to pick either one (or both) of the G strings.

Doing my research on 5-strings but not seeing anything newer then 2 years. Does anyone use a 5-string Uke as their main instrument - or is it more of a novelty?

If you do - which order do you have the 2 strings (low g on the outside, or the high g)?

Seems ideal for strumming, and I did see videos where it should be easier to pick 1 string (the one on the outside) but with practice you can learn to pick either one (or both) of the G strings.

Taimane, for one. I went to one of her concerts, and one of the two G strings broke. She tucked it out of the way and kept playing.

I have four, six, and eight-string Kalas and an 8-string Baton Rouge. I guess I need a 5-string. :)

Last edited:

Taimane, for one. I went to one of her concerts, and one of the two G strings broke. She tucked it out of the way and kept playing.

I have four, six, and eight-string Kalas and an 8-string Baton Rouge. I guess I need a 5-string.

I had a five string once. It was High G then Low G and came that way from Kanile'a.

Stunning example of another Kanile'a five string here -

https://vimeo.com/397087663

I should have mentioned her - then again she uses a lot of Flamenco (?) style strumming and I'm surprised her wrist hasn't fallen off. Also, I don't think she will be replying to this thread :)

I had a five string once. It was High G then Low G and came that way from Kanile'a.

Stunning example of another Kanile'a five string here -

https://vimeo.com/397087663

So you had one, but no longer do.. that mean you didn't like it? The video is amazing, but wondering how much it's the instrument, how much the player, and how much it's the 5th string making the difference.

So you had one, but no longer do.. that mean you didn't like it? The video is amazing, but wondering how much it's the instrument, how much the player, and how much it's the 5th string making the difference.

Oh no, I loved it. I had issues with it which weren't related to the sound it made. I would love another one, it was amazing for strumming.

Quite a few threads on 5 strings but I don't recall much discussion on order of strings. I think that as on six and eight string ukes the preference is for having the thinner string at the outside near the edge of the neck so that with a down strum it gets played first. If it was tucked behind the the thicker string it would easier be missed. Finger pickers and advanced players may have different preferences.

I do and I love mine...more so than I realized I would. Mine is a walnut and aspen Oreo from bonanza ukuleles and for $400ish, I don’t think you can beat it. The tone is fuller and richer than my 4 strings and different from my 6 string, which I like more in playing with a guitar player. This has become my go to travel uke and outdoor player around a fire pit. The thin line is comfortable and loud with great sustain and I’ve got the cutaway for access to higher frets. High g outside, low g wound inside, strings other than the low g are living waters.

I also like it because I can still fingerpick with it, which I find tough on a 6 string. With a little more effort and intention, I can fingerpick low or high g tunes- depending on speed needed an amount of picking on the g.

I know ohana makes one that mim’s carried sometimes. Ironically (or maybe not so based on timing of your email), cocobolo has two in the lottery this week.

Last edited:
I do and I love mine...more so than I realized I would. Mine is a walnut and aspen Oreo from bonanza ukuleles and for $400ish, I don’t think you can beat it. The tone is fuller and richer than my 4 strings and different from my 6 string, which I like more in playing with a guitar player. This has become my go to travel uke and outdoor player around a fire pit. The thin line is comfortable and loud with great sustain and I’ve got the cutaway for access to higher frets. High g outside, low g wound inside, strings other than the low g are living waters.

I also like it because I can still fingerpick with it, which I find tough on a 6 string. With a little more effort and intention, I can fingerpick low or high g tunes- depending on speed needed an amount of picking on the g.

I know ohana makes one that mim’s carried sometimes. Ironically (or maybe not so based on timing of your email), cocobolo has two in the lottery this week.

They have three this week, which is what sparked my interest. I've looked at the 5-strings before but always passed it off as a "cute" thing. But the lottery made me start researching it for real. Wonder how many people enter the lotteries.

Edit: I should add I'm only a few months in, but enough that I think this is a long term thing for me, and I kind of want to find one uke that I will spend some more $ on that will be my primary one for years to come. I joined that mail list originally looking for a Super-Tenor (Tenor feels a liiitle small, while a Baritone feels a liiiiiitle big) - but I'm slowly adjusting to the Tenor size anyway.

Last edited:
The video is amazing, but wondering how much it's the instrument, how much the player, and how much it's the 5th string making the difference.

It's all the instrument. Just place an order and when it arrives, move your fingers over the strings the same way he did. Nothing to it. :D

It's all the instrument. Just place an order and when it arrives, move your fingers over the strings the same way he did. Nothing to it. :D

I need to go start a thread over on Beginner on how to magically get from strumming chords chords with DD DUDUD, to finger picking 2314 -> that video. There is clearly 1 small step I am missing.

youll think itll be your main player, and then as it does become a long-term thing, you'll realize that UAS seeps in. What I thought would be my "primary for years to come" has changed about 4 times in the last 4 years. And then when I say, this is it, I've rounded out my collection because of x, y, z...all of a sudden a few months later, I find a reason to justify a new one :)

I have a lovely custom five string crafted by Steve Doreen of Lonetree Ukulele on Vancouver Island.
The high g is the outside string, close to the neck.
It did take me a while to settle in with this instrument but when I finally did I absolutely fell in love with it. I strum and fingerpick and find the five strings combine to produce a lovely full and rich sound.
I’m not sure I would recommend the fiver as a first uke for a beginner but to each her own.

I have a lovely custom five string crafted by Steve Doreen of Lonetree Ukulele on Vancouver Island.
The high g is the outside string, close to the neck.
It did take me a while to settle in with this instrument but when I finally did I absolutely fell in love with it. I strum and fingerpick and find the five strings combine to produce a lovely full and rich sound.
I’m not sure I would recommend the fiver as a first uke for a beginner but to each her own.

I am on the build schedule for steve and am actually thinking about a 5 string so it’s exciting to hear that you love yours. Is it tenor or concert?

I am on the build schedule for steve and am actually thinking about a 5 string so it’s exciting to hear that you love yours. Is it tenor or concert?
Oh, lucky you to have a build spot with Steve!
My five string is a tenor and is one of the ‘Mutt’ series (he donates a percentage of the price to the humane society).

Last edited:
Taimane is the only high-profile player I've seen using one. I'm not in her league, but her use of it inspired me to get one. I thought it would be the best of both worlds: low and High G, but it's neither. It's a sound all its own. More like a low G with a bit of sparkle. Altogether, I like it, but, I'll admit I haven't played it enough to make it my go-to uke. The low G is the uppermost (outside) string.

Top Bottom