Season 445 - Songs from Animation

More Randy Newman - I see Rob beat me to this one, but I'll do it anyway. Probably my favourite animated film.

It would be a travesty for this season to go by without any Rick and Morty. While the recent season was a bit lacklustre, the first couple were absolutely superb telly that went to some weird and wonderful places. In this episode, Rick and Morty are trying to save a gaseous cosmic being from being assassinated, however that ends up being unwise. The being gives Morty some hallucinations and sings this song to keep him onside.

Apparently it was originally written with David Bowie in mind, it shares the same Fmaj7 throughout as Space Oddity, but Bowie was busy recording Blackstar in preparation for his journey to the next dimension, so couldn't do it. So they got Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords to voice the character and ape Bowie with fantastic results.

Built something in Minecraft and recorded it for the video.

Hello again, Kimi! Another Disney song, from another film I haven't seen, "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", which starred the wonderful David Tomlinson and Angela Lansbury. I've always liked this song, though, despite never having seen the film ...

Thanks for hosting, Kimi, and the best of luck for your first season as host!

Picking up from your Adventure Time song, I've gone with this. There's something about Lemonhope and this song in particular that I've always found strangely moving.
I've not attempted any kind of accompanying animation (I don't have the required talent, skill or patience for such a thing) but I've cobbled together some footage of my boy mooching about in the beach (on holiday at the mo, luckily remembered to pack a uke...) which hopefully fits the mood.

Anyway, here you go...

Fantastic job hosting this week Kimi! So many great vids already, and many more to come i'm sure! Here is a Griffs collaboration. Del and I heard this song for the first time Monday, and put together our take on it here ~

Wow! You guys are so amazing! I couldn't wait til the end of the day to watch the new entries. Made my breaks much more enjoyable. Thanks so much, everyone ♡ This week has all my favorite things. Storm's on the way. Probably hitting land Thursday. I'm a bit stressed and got called in for an extra shift yesterday and I likely will have more. I'm sure I'll be able to keep up with the Season though. We've weathered storms before!

Last edited:
Picking up from your Adventure Time song, I've gone with this. There's something about Lemonhope and this song in particular that I've always found strangely moving.

I have some musical friends who've named their kids Finn and Marceline. I'm just worried that they'll have another girl and decide to name her Bubblegum.

An original here Kimi. I made these very simple cartoons for the song that perhaps are not strictly animations but somethings did move and change between scenes.

Hope you will enjoy it. Also, hope you do get enough rest from the extra shifts at work.

Last edited:
People of a certain age, probably UK based, might get a bit nostalgic at the mention of Trumpton, Camberwick Green & Chigley. Three series from the late 60s featuring animated figures, about life in three country towns, with characters all having their own songs which played as they went about their daily life. I am sure they are all available on YouTube, and long may it be so. I grew up on this stuff...

I managed to find the Trumpton & Camberwick Green songbooks a few years ago. They didn't publish a Chigley volume, so of course, the song I chose would have been in that one. Hope I have worked it out right.

The first song that came to mind for me is from Soul Asylum's 1988 album Hang Time. The title's perfect, at least.

Now, back to practicing the animated tv show theme song I hope to get together :p

Here's an animation based on photos and mostly using the animation features in my movie editor with one scene using a photo animator app I downloaded on my tablet. The music is a tune I wrote some years ago and is played on two alto recorders and a tenor Fluke ukulele.

The title of the movie relates to soft toys my daughter and I have registered accounts for on twitter who then recount our small doings.

Hello folks, I hope your all well and dandy,wow what a great theme and i get to release a life long obsession.
My official entry for Season 445 and I couldn't choose any other song as it is my earliest child hood memory of standing transfixed by a puppet machine that played this song at 3 years old i would disappear,my parents would panic,then after the 2 times they knew where to find me,I don't know why but everything to do with this song and the cartoon film has always had me, i fight urges to buy stuff connected to it though i do have some collectables and i also have a tattoo on my left shoulder.
So i haven't filmed me live, i recorded this on 26th August and thought i would make some pictures fit to the song the best i could and i used a electric uke.

Hand painted paper puppet. She has appeared for a Hot Chocolate song in the past. Today she is on her own.

Hand painted paper puppet. She has appeared for a Hot Chocolate song in the past. Today she is on her own.

Joo, Great job on Five Foot Two. In the Seventies, when Canada switched over to the metric system, there was a duo of kids' singers called New Kids On The Block (This was long before the boy band of the same name). They were a local lawyer, Brad Halls and a local doctor, Paul Caldwell. They wrote new words for the song Five Foot Two, that you might be interested in trying.

Five Foot Two - Halls/Caldwell

She's a centimetre shorter than a metre and a quarter,
And ev'ry millimetre is in perfect working order,
Has anybody seen my gal?
I know I'm only human but I still have the acumen
To know her eyes are flashing 'bout a half a million lumen,
Has anybody seen my gal?
A pair of gorgeous gams on her fifty kilograms
When she twirls her skirts.
My chest just thumps and my heart rate jumps
About a hundred kilohertz!
But Fahrengrade or Centiheit,
She's gonna light my fire tonight,
Has anybody seen my gal?

thank you for this week Kimi.
an improvisation on concert ukulele and tenor resonator guitar.
i drew these pictures for my girlfriend in April 2016,
when we were apart. she became my wife in December 2017.
now we are separated again b/c of this hell virus.
i played this music just now to accompany the drawings.
i love and miss you sweetheart.

Whistle stop from the Disney animation Robin Hood.
I never quite got it that Roger Miller did the voice over
for the banjo playing cockerel with a Southern Drawl.
Perhaps it is a blessing he did not go Dick van Dyke Cockney.
Mecifully this song does not has any words.

It

It’s time to do the OTHER uke song from “The Jungle Book.” This is fun. Thanks for hosting, Kimi,

Top Bottom