Thumb callus on fretting hand

Strum

Reaction score
I took up the ukulele this past March. My thumb on my fretting hand has developed a callus on the index finger side of the thumb knuckle that can be painful when playing. I've tried placing my thumb flatter against the bottom of the neck, on the soft part of the first joint of my thumb (underside of the thumbnail) but it's not easy playing in that position. Is that callus normal, or should I concentrate on changing the way I position my thumb?

I've got one too, but mine isn't painful (or maybe it's not painful anymore?). I would be more worried if there are aches.

Callus shouldn't be painful, it's just dead skin. Which leads me to think... perhaps you are in the process of developing a thicker callus but have not yet grown them. A thin callus will still be painful until it's grown thick.

BTW, I don't get callus at all with the ukulele, even when I was playing 30 minutes a day. I can feel that my finger tips are stiffening up, but it just stops there (a thin callus). From my guitar days: a thick callus is very hard and keeps your finger tips in a rigid shape allowing you to press chords that are difficult/impossible to do without them; so I was a bit disappointed with not developing any callus.

You are definitely holding your uke wrong. It should be the pad of your thumb that touches the neck, or sometimes just below the pad. The side of the joint should never come anywhere near touching the neck. I would get some lessons to get some advice on hand positioning.

I could pretty much make the same post word for word. Interesting how it took so long for us to develop this. I’ve tried switching up positioning of late but haven’t found it at all comfortable except how I’ve grown to hold.

Beginners learning a new instrument often carry too much tension in their hands. They are so busy focusing on the many new things they need to remember, that they forget to relax their hands/wrists/fingers. If the knuckle joint on your thumb hurts on the inner side, you may be squeezing the neck too tight. This can end up being painful, especially if your joint area is not very fleshy. Try to hold the neck more loosely, and to remember to relax and wiggle your fingers every few minutes. Until the situation improves, try wrapping a narrow length of fleece around the knuckle joint when you play, to give it some cushioning.

I've been playing fretted instruments since the mid '60's ... the inside of my fretting-hand thumb is one of the few places I don't have a callous!

Are you using a strap?

:music:

I have little hands, and that is how I hold the neck.

I get a callous on the side of my thumb especially when playing my Martin OXK HPL with the laminated gun stock type neck. I sanded the neck several times with 000 steel wool and used a guitar cleaner on it (as per suggestions on this forum). Slightly better, but still got a callous.

I got frustrated one day and lightly rubbed in and wiped off Vasoline, then hydrated the uke with a pill container humidifier. Works fine, now.

Attachments

• OXK neck.jpg
    OXK neck.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
You are definitely holding your uke wrong. It should be the pad of your thumb that touches the neck, or sometimes just below the pad. The side of the joint should never come anywhere near touching the neck. I would get some lessons to get some advice on hand positioning.

Thanks, I will try repositioning my thumb so the pad of my thumb is flatter against the bottom of the neck and have someone take a look at my hand position.

Kypfer: I am using a strap.

Somehow I thought you were talking about callus on your finger tips.
I guess I completely missed the "thumb" :)

This video might be of use:

And other tips:

In general, you need to relax. You're putting too much literal and figurative stress on yourself.

I understand. I remember when I was younger and playing the flute I used to pinch my lips really hard and that affected the aperture and sound. I also remember that I could only hit the higher octaves by craning my neck and looking up. And with the ukulele I remember squeezing barre chords excessively. And playing chords higher up the neck with more pressure.

So I do sympathize but want to emphasize a lot of it is all in your head. You get anxious in mind in doing everything correctly and that energy transfers to your fingers. Time heals all wounds and this is no different. With time, you'll gain ability and confidence and that will help to abate your nervousness. Meanwhile, you need to take measures to reduce your stress. Perhaps play in shorter spurts. Consciously break up your sessions and shake out the hands. Maybe play less taxing music. Instead of a song, you could play a meditative progression where you just play a simple cycle over and over again. To that purpose I like a simple little ii-V-I progression like Dm7 G7 Cmaj7. Those chords share some of the same notes so the hand never really changes position aside from which finger is down. Or there is always A minor to F major (one finger difference). playing this way gives you confidence and you can practice fretting as lightly as possible.

Can you show us a photo or video of your fretting hand while you're playing (with your "normal" hand position, not something you think you should be doing)? That could help us to offer advice, or refine/focus the good advice that's already been given.

Also, what brand/model of uke are you playing? What's the neck finish like, how does it feel? Some necks (especially those with glossy finishes) can end up feeling "sticky" which can cause skin irritation, especially if you tend to drag your thumb/hand against the neck when changing positions. There are ways to address this if it's contributing to your problem.

When I used to smoke I usually got some kind of a callous to my thumb with those rolling one lighters. Later i changed to BIC type lighters, and then no more (right thumb) callous. Been able to mostly quit smoking now.

I'm very liberal about my left thumb use, except no fretting. I cannot see how I could ever develop a callous there with ukulele playing. Yes perhaps a pic if you can make. It is very interesting, a callous on left thumb playing uke ;)

Top Bottom