Dome-Top Cases

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Uke cases with rounded tops are nice, but stacking them does not work well. They need extra support, like a wall. Placing them on their sides isn't always an option. I'm rearranging my storage, and I'll have to sort cases according to their tops.

I'm not talking about stacking them to the ceiling, just three or four high.

I stand mine up vertically in the cupboard under the stairs. My ukuleles don't leave the house so the cases don't need to be readily accessible.

Yes, I learned my lesson from guitars years back. So I avoid them.
But if you have several stacks of cased, these arch top cases can go on the tops of the stacks.

I try to sidestep this issue by getting a case that has a little hoop, eye hook, or other way of attaching a shoulder strap to the case. Then I just hang the case and the encased, if that is the case, uke on the wall.

I try to sidestep this issue by getting a case that has a little hoop, eye hook, or other way of attaching a shoulder strap to the case. Then I just hang the case and the encased, if that is the case, uke on the wall.

Wouldn't the case handle work too?

But, there's nothing that beats the compactness of stacking several cases horizontally on top of each other.

Make some hardfoam rings, that surrounds the dome

I keep my cases vertically in a rack. These ones all get used (or did, before COVID19) and either have instruments in them or get taken out of the house. I have a shelf of unused gig-bags and cases that came with instruments somewhere. A gig-bag can act as padding to keep an oddly shaped hard-case from rolling.

cyrY9tul.jpg

I also have several instruments in hard cases and am not pleased with the instability of stacking, but have no solution. But regarding ukes, each time I visit Hawaii I am amazed that pretty much everyone I see there is using light gig bags that they can strap on their backs, even for the most high end ukes. And it seems like only the tourists use hard cases, likely because they think their uke needs protection on the plane or because so many people on mainland use them. But really these things are so clunky and a pain to haul around, while their hardness may not even be needed and a gigbag be more useful. Thoughts?

One reason this haole likes hard cases is they're easier to maintain humidity. Here, in the winter, my house gets dry enough that cactuses start sprouting from the carpet. I need to keep my solid wood ukes well hydrated and gig bags are too porous and breathable. I imagine lack of humidity isn't a problem in Hawaii.

One reason this haole likes hard cases is they're easier to maintain humidity. Here, in the winter, my house gets dry enough that cactuses start sprouting from the carpet. I need to keep my solid wood ukes well hydrated and gig bags are too porous and breathable. I imagine lack of humidity isn't a problem in Hawaii.

Gee thanks for reminding me of winter. Here in the prairies we only have a short few weeks left before the snow flies and the Oasis' will have to get refilled. Great point about humidity control!

Exactly this. I use hard cases for storage (to keep safe and humidified) and prefer gig bags for taking out.

I find the rectangular hard cases are very useful and they stack very nicely, too.

John Colter
soprano ukes x 19.jpg

Here, in the winter, my house gets dry enough that cactuses start sprouting from the carpet.

:biglaugh: Now, that's a problem...:shaka:;)

Top Bottom