Online Instructional Ukulele Programs

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Hey, friends, I’ve heard about a handful of different online instructional ukulele programs; here are the ones of which I’m aware:

1) Ukulele Underground (UU+)
2) James Hill’s ‘Uketropolis’
3) Brett McQueen’s ‘Ukulele Tricks’
4) Andrew Hardel’s ‘Rock Class 101’
5) Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee’s ‘Artistworks’ series

I know that there are a lot of ukulele instructors who teach private lessons online, but I am looking for exclusively self-directed/self-paced, online learning courses and/or classes.

If you know of others out there which do not appear on my list, per above, please share; I’d be grateful! Thank you!

Terry Carter - Uke Like The Pros

A new site called Ukulele Corner (https://ukulelecorner.com), with fingerstyle and classical courses. The graded repertoire classical book is great, and I also purchased the Grade 5-8 online course which I have found very worthwhile.

https://pegheadnation.com/string-school/courses/ukulele/

Peghead Nation has classes for many stringed instruments. I am currently in the intermediate mandolin classes and highly recommend the format and the price $20/month. Check out the Uke series above. Enjoy!

So many online offerings make it difficult to find the cost. Apparently, this is $20/month, but I couldn't find that. The ukulelecorner costs $147 - big difference. I prefer to pay monthly so I can stop at any time.

EDIT: Okay, I see that $20 cost when I click on "Enroll."

https://pegheadnation.com/string-school/courses/ukulele/

Peghead Nation has classes for many stringed instruments. I am currently in the intermediate mandolin classes and highly recommend the format and the price $20/month. Check out the Uke series above. Enjoy!

Thanks, dwh, I checked out pegheadnation and saw that Marcy Marxer is the instructor - that is fantastic! Looks like a great program!

A new site called Ukulele Corner (https://ukulelecorner.com), with fingerstyle and classical courses. The graded repertoire classical book is great, and I also purchased the Grade 5-8 online course which I have found very worthwhile.

bgilbert, thank you for bringing my attention to Ukulele Corner - I will visit the web site to learn more, for sure!

Our ukulele choir uses Cynthia Lin.

It doesn't really matter who you pick; what matters is you. All systems work, whether we are talking about diet, exercise, or ukulele...if you will do it. That's the key: pick something you will do. Don't go into analysis paralysis trying to figure out what system is best. That is all just a bunch of window dressing. The key is to find something you will stick with. If you committed to some program put together by a second (or third) rate musician, it would put you in better stead than if you leisurely and lukewarmly attended a system set up by Jake or James Hill. In conclusion, find something--anything--that you'll stick with and then stick with it.

That's the key: pick something you will do.

Exactly! For me, taking lessons is too much like school - something I have to do. And then I'm supposed to practice? :D I just drift along, playing what I want, when I want, and gradually improving.

It doesn't really matter who you pick; what matters is you. All systems work, whether we are talking about diet, exercise, or ukulele...if you will do it. That's the key: pick something you will do. Don't go into analysis paralysis trying to figure out what system is best. That is all just a bunch of window dressing. The key is to find something you will stick with. If you committed to some program put together by a second (or third) rate musician, it would put you in better stead than if you leisurely and lukewarmly attended a system set up by Jake or James Hill. In conclusion, find something--anything--that you'll stick with and then stick with it.

Agreed. I myself am a trainer/teacher, and this background has enabled me to have a comprehensive understanding of my learning styles and preferences (which have evolved over the years, btw). At this stage in my life, I need a self-paced/self-directed learning approach; I also think it would be appropriate for me to have a ‘coach,’ rather than a teacher. E.g., someone with whom I can check in periodically to ask questions, obtain advice, etc. I have spent many years studying music in a formal, traditional way, but that approach is not what would work best for me now.

Top Bottom