NUD Kamaka HF-2

Loska

Reaction score
I wanted to post this NUD as I received something wonderful today, a Kamaka HF-2, the 2016 anniversary model.

Few months ago I posted a question to Buying tips whether to buy a Kamaka soprano or concert. Later I was contacted by a wonderful and friendly fellow UU member who had a Kamaka concert for sale, here in Europe. And a long story short, this uke found its new home with me.

It arrived packed perfectly and surprisingly it was in tune. I have heard people comment how they fell in love with their ukes immediately, but for me it has always been a lot slower process. But with this one it was pure love from the first time we met (funny to say that as today is the day that me and my hubby met many years ago).

What a wonderful little ukulele, I simply adore it! It is so light, resonant and responsive instrument. I just can't put it down nor stop smiling. The intonation is spot on, the neck and the string spacing fits me well, the wood grain is very beautiful. Only thing I ask is why in the world I didn't get one sooner? It is pretty much everything I want from a ukulele - the sound and the looks.

I'll post few pictures tomorrow! (And no, I'm not under any drug influence, I'm just really excited! :love:)

yay! Congratulations!

Congrats!!

I'm currently waiting on my HF-2, should be here later this week.

Very nice. I'm glad that you eventually decided to go for the HF-2 and especially that it seems to be your dream uke right from the get-go. Definitely post some pics. :)

Congrats!!

Thanks for your very emotive description of love at first play. It puts into words a similar feeling I had recently when I first held my HF-1L.

From a fellow Kamaka player, enjoy!!!

Congratulations on your HF-2! Where can I find the thread where you made up your mind between the soprano and the concert Kamaka?

Last edited:
It sounds like you found a great ukulele for yourself. I love the excitement that you're sharing with us.
Enjoy!

I had a super busy day at work today, so no pictures sorry. But tomorrow I have a day off and some time to post some.

The Kamaka came with D'addario nyltech which sounded pretty good, but as those were a bit old ones, I changed to Uke Logic low tensions. Those are so different and the sound changed as well to the brighter side, but either way l love it very much. I think I'm going to do some experiment on strings, maybe even try the Kamaka stock strings to find out how I feel about them.

I'm very happy that I found this ukulele. It is quite wonderful to hold a ukulele that I wouldn't change a thing! Even my picky husband said that it is the best sounding uke in the house (and he is a true Kanile'a fan). It is a shame that I have to work and do other silly stuff than play.

You have a great collection! I will be interested to see how this stacks up against the Kanilea, please let us know!

You have a great collection! I will be interested to see how this stacks up against the Kanilea, please let us know!

Thanks! I'm a bit sad that I let the Moonbird go. It is such a lovely instrument and immaculately built, but it wasn't the right one for me. I don't think I'm happy with multiple instruments and I try my best to keep the herd as minimal as possible. But I'm sure I will miss it. This time Kanile'a and Kamaka won hands down. I guess I like traditional koa ukes (if Kanile'a is one?).

Of course I can later try to compare Kanile'a and Kamaka, as well as I can. In a way they are very similar, but yet very different. If that makes any sense!

But here are the pictures of my precious!

Attachments

• Kamaka5.jpg
    Kamaka5.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Kamaka2.jpg
    Kamaka2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Kamaka1.jpg
    Kamaka1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Kamaka3.jpg
    Kamaka3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Kamaka4.jpg
    Kamaka4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Very pretty wood; I love that triangular striped look.

I was about to say that you can trim the bridge strings more so they don't show.
But now I see the extra strings on your head stock and realized that you are one of those types : )

Please post your comparison results.

Lovely uke! I love my Kamaka but I do wish it had the anniversary headstock logo it just looks classy,

I was about to say that you can trim the bridge strings more so they don't show.
But now I see the extra strings on your head stock and realized that you are one of those types : )

This is my first ukulele with slotted bridge and as embarrassing it is I had no clue what to do. Should have watched a tutorial or something as the end result is somewhat hilarious. :D Now I'm too afraid to trim those ends. I might scratch the wood.

This is my first ukulele with slotted bridge and as embarrassing it is I had no clue what to do. Should have watched a tutorial or something as the end result is somewhat hilarious. :D Now I'm too afraid to trim those ends. I might scratch the wood.

A nail clipper works really well for this.

Congratulations on a lovely instrument, and 100th anniversary model as well! Kamaka is the gold standard of ukuleles, and that long straight grain is rumoured to be the best-sounding Koa. :shaka:

I love Kamaka ukes and you have a beautiful looking anniversary model! I have a question. From the pictures, it looks like you just took made a knot at the end of each string in the bridge. I think you're supposed to make a few knots and loops. Here's a video that explains how to do it in very basic easy terms.

It's not that hard.

I don't know what the effect on downsides of just having a knot are, if any. I hope this is received as helpful and not critical.

Congrats again!

Congrats I love the headstock design of Kamaka concert. And the slotted bridge is the way most ukes were constructed for decades. I like it, and it is also the easiest way to move strings from one uke to another or change strings once the knots are tied.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much! I'm in a full honeymoon phase with this ukulele.

I don't know what the effect on downsides of just having a knot are, if any. I hope this is received as helpful and not critical.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice! My first uke had a tie bridge, but the slotted bridge is different. There is no place to tie any loops. The holes are very tiny so I was struggling to get small enough a knot in there, but a big enough to hold its place.

Btw, any string suggestions? :D

Top Bottom