Hello from New Mexico

40Strings

Reaction score
My name is Jennifer and I'm in northern New Mexico. The uke has been calling to me for several years and I finally decided it was time to find out why. :) My first uke arrived from HMS a couple of weeks ago, a Pono MGTP. We're still getting to know each other, but I already feel like this will be a happy long-term relationship.

My main musical love is the harp, which I picked up in my 30s (I'm 40-something now). I play large lever harps and have an interest in therapeutic music. The uke is challenging me to get more serious about my study of theory so I can grow into a better musician overall. I'm eager to get all the basic uke chords into my brain and muscle memory.

It's great to be able to connect with others who love the uke. I look forward to meeting and learning from you all. :)

Welcome to UU, Jennifer. Much easier - and cheaper! - to restring a ukulele.;)

John Colter

Welcome, 40strings! I hailed from NM not long ago — what a gorgeous state! I do miss beautiful NM a lot! There are a ton of ‘ukulele groups in New Mexico; I’m not sure where, specifically, in northern NM you are, but I’d imagine one of them might not be too far off in your locale. I recommend looking up ‘Banjo Judy’ online; she has her finger on the pulse of all things ‘ukulele in New Mexico. If you’re on FB, she also has a New Mexico Ukulele Players FB page, too. Check out Jim D’Ville as well - he’s an internationally well-known uker and he recently made his new home in New Mexico, near ABQ, I believe. So much good UKE’ing in New Mexico! Once they start up again, be sure to check out the Las Cruces Uke Fest and also the Albuquerque Ukekopelli Festival! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Hochapeafarm, and for sharing all the great NM uke recommendations. I'm not on FB but have e-mailed The Santa Fe Ukulele and Social Club to get on their mailing list for Zoom meetings. Being at higher risk for COVID issues, I may not get to jam with folks in person for a while ... but I figure I can learn a lot by looking over their shoulders virtually. :)

Welcome to the forums.

There are harp ukuleles :D

Welcome to the UU Forum, Jennifer. I picked up the ukulele a few years back and love it. But, like you, my main instrument is the lever harp, which I’ve been playing for about 20 years. I can’t imagine my life without a harp, but I have to admit that the uke sure is a lot of fun. Plus it’s much more portable than a full-size harp, and has waaaay less strings to tune. :) Best of luck with your ukulele journey!

Jan

Glad to meet another harpist here, Jan D! Care to brag about your harp(s)? :) I play a Pratt Chamber and a Rick Rubarth Merlin. Different instruments in many ways, but I enjoy both. Harp "tasting" is such fun; I'm eager to try more ukuleles as my skills progress. :)

Welcome to UU, 40Strings.

Life is better with music.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Hochapeafarm, and for sharing all the great NM uke recommendations. I'm not on FB but have e-mailed The Santa Fe Ukulele and Social Club to get on their mailing list for Zoom meetings. Being at higher risk for COVID issues, I may not get to jam with folks in person for a while ... but I figure I can learn a lot by looking over their shoulders virtually. :)

Hi, 40Strings! I believe Banjo Judy also has an email distribution list (I’m not on FB, either); I’ll try to find one of her old emails and I’ll PM you her email address in case you’d be interested in being added onto her list. She announces all sorts of ‘ukulele events (most of which are virtual now) as well as other musical events aside from uke. Happy strums! :)

Welcome Jennifer,

Banjo Judy Muldawer offers a lot of old songs with lyrics/chords and often the original sheet music:
http://www.banjojudy.com/songs-banjo-judy/

Your Pono Mango Tenor Pineapple is a fine sounding instrument. There are lots of string choices available to find the sound you want. Enjoy your explorations.

Glad to meet another harpist here, Jan D! Care to brag about your harp(s)? :) I play a Pratt Chamber and a Rick Rubarth Merlin. Different instruments in many ways, but I enjoy both. Harp "tasting" is such fun; I'm eager to try more ukuleles as my skills progress. :)

I’ve owned quite a few harps over the years - Thormahlen Swan, Blevins Encore, Triplett Axline, Dusty Strings FH-26, a double-strung Stoney End Anne, as well as harps by Wm. Rees, Camac, and others - like you, they were each different, but I enjoyed them all. I’m down to two harps these days - a 34 string Thormahlen Ceili, and a sweet sounding 26 string harp that Dave Thormahlen made almost 30 years ago. Most of my meagre disposable income has always gone towards musical instruments (harps and ukuleles, as well as piano, hammered dulcimer, bowed psaltery, guitar, plucked psaltery). My bank account has always been poor, but my life has been musically rich. Wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Jan

Welcome to UU Jennifer.
I've never tried a harp, but I sure love the sound.
I'm keen on your interest in therapeutic music. I've been a Certified Clinical Musician for about 6 years.
It's very rewarding. I played for dozens of hospice patients, and most recently played in a group in Shriner's Childrens hospital.

I'm keen on your interest in therapeutic music. I've been a Certified Clinical Musician for about 6 years.
It's very rewarding.

Nice to meet you, Nickie. I would love to hear more about your experiences with therapeutic music, and with the certification program. Will send a PM. :)

Top Bottom