Should a host be allowed to end a season on Saturday instead of Sunday?

Should a host be able to end a season on Saturday instead of Sunday?

• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My 2c, I voted yes because I think it feels very tidy for the host. But on further reflection I realized that I have posted on Sundays and was grateful there was that extra day. I knew I would get less views but I had that sense of satisfaction of getting something posted. As others have mentioned if you’re working full time it can be hard to get a video up with less available hours during the week and with time being precious during the weekend.

I appreciate everything you all have done to keep the seasons going. I had no idea someone was coordinating the host schedule. To me it seemed rather like a mysterious-deep state-Illuminati-inner circle phenomenon.

I guess I slept through most of this :) So i'm late to opine here! I briefly considered going back to sleep, but since I didn't wake up until 5:30 pm, I am going to resist that urge.

Since I joined, Brian (Pa) has been the manager of the future hosts page, and he's done an exceptional job in what must seem like a very thankless effort. Thanks Brian! ! ! ! !

Though I have not perfected it by any means, I strive not to have any expectations, ever, about anything. But being human it still happens all the time, and it's no surprise I occasionally find myself feeling let down because something I expected to happen didn't happen :)

While I see a lot of personal feelings and opinions shared about what individuals like best based on their personal feelings, I'd like to see more folks opining about what is best for the group at large?

The simplest reason I can think of for keeping Sundays is that one of the longest participating (and one of my personal favorite) members, Ralf consistently brings his gold late on Sunday afternoon my time. I don't feel the need to ask why that is, I just accept that it is.

The primary reason I see being argued here for eliminating Sunday posting is to save the host from feeling a bit let down because people didn't post more videos on the last day. That to me, would be a small price to pay, if it means Ralf continues sharing his stuff here.

As others have said here, there is no one policing the seasons per se. The host ultimately is in charge of their season. So if that is the only way you'll consider hosting in the future Del, then I think you should give it a go. You strike me as a well intentioned member and I am sure you'll settle on what you think is best for the group ~

Brother, Kev ~ I appreciate you sharing your perspective of looking at this situation, from what I like to think of as what Star Trek, so many eons ago, brought to my attention- that is, ‘the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few.’ That is, most assuredly, good food for thought. What’s best for the group is most definitely important, here, as well.

I do feel it’s positive to generate constructive and productive conversations as to whether or not there is room for improvements with the SOTU. Evolution, growth is a positive thing, and I thank you, Del, for having the idea to come forward to open up this dialogue. I believe we might all agree that the only real ‘Rule,’ when it comes to the Seasons, is in treating each other with kindness and respect.

We all want this wonderful thing we have going, here, to keep - going. A large part of how this can happen is if we’re willing to grow, to adapt, to welcome new ideas and see where they take us. These are exciting times - change is hard, but change is also necessary for moving forward.

Last edited:
My feelings about this are a bit ambivalent. As one or two people have pointed out recently, that overlap is quite demoralising for the host ... something I definitely feel. On the other hand, though, there are a small number of people who obviously rely on that extra day to get in their entries - most notably, as Kev says, Ralf - and there are always some very worthwhile "late" entries. Since it is obviously up to the host to lay down the rules for his/her "week", then I have voted in favour of being able to finish the season on a Saturday. Would it be worth considering extending the end of one week's Season to the beginning of the next (i.e. actually at midnight Hawaii time?), at which point the new week's theme could be announced? (Having said this, I understand that, time wise this might not be convenient, depending on where you are in the world ... where I am, in France, it's lunchtime, so it wouldn't be a problem.)

interesting thread.
as some of you already know, i'm firmly w/ Del on this.
the last day is always a fadeaway downer...
i'm torn, however, i think the host should be given the license to make their own rules each season regarding finish time.

I appreciate everything you all have done to keep the seasons going. I had no idea someone was coordinating the host schedule. To me it seemed rather like a mysterious-deep state-Illuminati-inner circle phenomenon.

It took me a while to realize this as well when I first started :)

I just posted, per below, a few moments ago on the ‘Sign up for future seasons III’ thread; it seems the conversation of this thread, here, had continued over on that thread. That said, I would like to share my post, here, too:

Hello, friends ~ If memory serves me, there have been several traditions that have evolved re: the SOTU over the numerous years that it has been running. I would surmise that this is so as to allow for growth, adaptation to new circumstances; this, whether it be for the benefit of host or the benefit of participants.

One example that comes fresh to mind is that it used to be, back when I had started with the SOTU in 2013, a tradition that ‘the ukulele must be seen front and center’ in an entry. Nowadays, we see a plethora of entries that come in that show absolutely no ukulele ‘front and center.’ People are exercising other creative endeavors in their entries, not only in showcasing their ukulele playing or singing, but now, also their skills at creating fabulous videos of other things to accompany their singing and playing.

I also recall that it used to be a tradition in which participants must show their faces whilst playing their ukuleles for their entries. In fact, I remember, specifically, a season in which our own, GinnyT, had a person in her SOTU who had joined for his/her first time; this person did not wish to play in front of the camera, and of course, Ginny was understanding of this.

I recall, recently, reading an early SOTU thread re: how to host a SOTU: it was mentioned that prizes should be given, winners announced, etc. It occurred to me when I read this that, when I started the SOTU back up this past May, I think I’ve only seen Del provide prizes as a host in all of the weeks that I’ve particiapted. I actually won, first time ever, a prize, on a SOTU; that prize was the fabulous Yazuke CD he and Lynda so brilliantly put together.

Isn’t it reasonable to consider that perhaps positive things can arise when both participants and hosts can feel comfortable in that they’re given considerations for flexilibility, leeway? If Del feels that the overlap isn’t working out for him while hosting, wouldn’t it be sensible to give him that leeway to run his SOTU as will be optimal for his schedule? Perhaps those who typically submit on that Sunday might be willing to try to submit another day if they wish to participate?

Since coming back this past May to participate in the SOTU, I have, indeed, witnessed many things which have changed since I participated regularly back in 2013. All of these changes strike me as wonderful improvements that have enabled more people to participate in the SOTU, and that is an amazing thing! I like to keep these positive changes as proof that change is good; that flexibility is welcomed; that we are constantly evolving as group of people coming together to share our gifts and ideas; that we’re coming together to celebrate something that we all enjoy so much, that is, playing our ukuleles and sharing our music with each other.

In final, it goes without saying that I am tremendously grateful for those Seasonistas who take much of their precious time to volunteer to host and to volunteer to help organize and keep the SOTU running for so many of us to enjoy! Thank you; you are incredible people!!!

(Now I’m going to go play my ukulele!) :)

kind of obvious what works best for me, as many have pointed out already. (yeah, i'm slow.)

joking aside, as a single parent with a full-time job, i often need all eight days to make enough time to find a song, practice, record, and post.

of course, if and when any host wants to change it up, i'll do my best to make the deadline. i do hope that we keep starting seasons on saturdays, for simplicity's sake.

and one more big THANK YOU to brian for coordinating the seasons for such a long stretch!!!

Greetings,

Late to the party. Yup. I know my participation has waned due to life circumstances but my love for what you all bring and the opportunity to post a video means so much. I look forward to finding more time to participate and also to volunteer to host again.

Appreciate all of you!

Ciao

Top Bottom