Yamaha THR5A Acoustic Modeling Combo Amp - Yea or Nay?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I currently have a Fender Acoustasonic 15 amp that I use in combo with an iRig Mic Studio soundhole pickup on my ukuleles. I like it, but it's pretty limited in effects and controls (Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, and Chorus). I'd like to play around with different sounds and effects, but I'm really not interested in accumulating a collection of separate pedals/controls. At some point, I'll probably be adding passive pickups to a couple of my instruments. I'm pretty much a stay-at-home player, playing for myself (and my wife if I can get her to listen!) and my personal pleasure. I don't gig, busk, or any of that other embarrassing public stuff!

I've been looking at the Yamaha THR5A as a potential versatile tool. There are tons of reviews from guitar players but not much from ukulele people. If any of you have and use this amp, what do you think? Is this something that I'm going to have fun with or is it a piece of junk? Do I need a Ph.D. in electronics to get some nice sounds?

Thanks for the input and feedback!

I have had mine for a few years now. I use it playing lead in a 35 member uke group. We play mostly senior centers and Assisted living along with occasional outdoor venues. If I need a more powerful sound, I take my Phil Jones double 4 amp.

I like it a lot for its portability and great sound playing small venues. Would be perfect for the purpose you want it for.

I use it with the Lenmar computer battery. It's lasted well over 5 hours with no need for recharge.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 18
It’s an amp with a very good track record and lots of satisfied customers. I recently bought it’s bigger brother, the Yamaha THR30ii. It has bigger speakers, higher wattage and most important to me wireless function (with a Line 6 relay). Also WiFi enabled and built in rechargeable batteries and 15 amp presets. Even so, the THR5 (as well as the THR10) has a very strong fan base. You can find many good used ones now since many THR devotees are trading up to the new wireless models.

Last edited:
Larry
I bought one of these about a year ago primarily to provide a bit of amplification for my Godin A6 and A12 guitars. These were informal acoustic sessions where my Fishman Loudbox would have been OTT. The 2x5Watt output is right for this situation and home use.
I've also used the amp with a soprano uke equipped with the iRig Acoustic Stage and banjo equipped with a K&K pick-up, it sounds good.
After I got mine, the mandolin player decided he needed one ( he doesn't really, the mandolin doesn't need a boost in our sessions, but like me, he likes his "toys")
So, bottom line, it sounds good with a variety of instruments, the various mic simulations have distinctly different sounds, chorus and reverb sound good when applied lightly, can't comment on delay as I don't have a use for it. Works from 8xAA batteries or mains, controls are fairly idiot proof, and is very portable.
I would recommend this for your requirements.
Regards
Vintage

I have owned the Yamaha THR5A for a couple of years now. I also own a Fishman Loudbox mini which is considered a top pick and gold standard for small portable acoustic amps. It have 60 watts so only small in size, but this is what the Yamaha has for competition in my home. Most of all my ukes listed below have pick ups so both amps have seen a lot of ukulele use.

The Yamaha is a fun versatile acoustic amp that has a pleasing sound. You do not need to be a sound engineer to use it, the thing it super simple. What the different mic presets give you is a different tone, just pick the one you like the sound of best. An afternoon fooling around with the other knobs will give you great variety in the sound your ukulele can produce.

Top Bottom