Article about cowboy ukes in ukulele magazine ..How many own one ? Pics ?

LarryL

Reaction score
It was fun reading about and seeing pictures of the old cowboy ukes sold thru companies like Montgomery Ward, et. Just curious, if those of you who own one, either thru childhood or purchases in more recent years, would post a picture of theirs. As a child, I didnt have one, but my sisters each had plastic ukes, (the were born in 1937 ad 39) but by the time I came around, (1947) they were warped and unplayable. They didnt have any graphics of any kind on theirs. I was tempted to get one and hang it on the wall, but a quick search made me change my mind (500 bucks on reverb ).

My father gave my brother and I one for Christmas in the late 50’s. He sang in a choir and had played a violin so he was fairly musical. I was maybe 10 and my brother 9. We were excited about it at the time and tried to learn, but before too long one of us broke it over the others head. Don’t remember which.

This was actually my sons...not what you were looking for I'm sure.
cowboyuke.jpg

Attachments

• cowboyuke.jpg
    cowboyuke.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 13
EEEEP!

Is it okay to play "Cowboy Chords" on these?

Pretty sure the neck gets white hot and a klaxon alarm sounds if you ever hit a Bbm.

Took the words right out of my mouth!! :LOL:

Seriously? R. Crumb did these guitars and ukes? I grew up with “Zap” comics in the late sixties and don’t see it…

Seriously? R. Crumb did these guitars and ukes? I grew up with “Zap” comics in the late sixties and don’t see it…
Confusingly both Roberts, Armstrong and Crumb are 'underground' cartoonists and members of the Cheap Suit Serenaders! Armstrong created Mickey Rat, initially on a T-shirt, and Crumb created Fritz the Cat.

Confusingly both Roberts, Armstrong and Crumb are 'underground' cartoonists and members of the Cheap Suit Serenaders! Armstrong created Mickey Rat, initially on a T-shirt, and Crumb created Fritz the Cat.
Wait, I thought that was Ralph Bakshi ...

Armstrong painted several ukes with Mickey Rat scenes, usually shooting the bird to a passing plane or chasing a frightened wahini with a leering grin.

Wait, I thought that was Ralph Bakshi ...
Crumb created the characters and Bakshi did the screenplay and direction. If you're a Bakshi fan, find his version of "Mighty Mouse". It is surreal.

Crumb created the characters and Bakshi did the screenplay and direction. If you're a Bakshi fan, find his version of "Mighty Mouse". It is surreal.

"Wizards" was surreal enough for me. Fire and Ice wasn't too bad either but nowhere near as meaningful. Well, not meaningful at all, actually, but not bad brain candy.

Top Bottom