NUD - But Mostly About Me, Arthritis, and HMS

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm almost ecstatic about my new Ukulele, but it's not just about the uke. So if you're here for a NUD report, you may want to skip this long post.

I have bought ukes from HMS and Mim in the past and have asked for low setups, and even with their great setups I still had arthritic finger problems that stopped me from enjoying practicing/playing for any length of time. I'm talking about having to bandage my 4th finger to hold down the pain. It's amazing how pain can motivate one when playing chord/melody to find chords that get the job done without using - or use very little of - the pinky.

However, I wasn't ready to give up thinking I could play tenor although sometimes stretching to hold a fret produced a lot of pain. So, I decided I would buy another tenor and called HMS to explain my problem, figuring if it were possible to solve/ease the problem, they would be the ones to do it. As always, they didn't rush me, listened and gave their advice. I called three different times and was lucky enough to speak with three different people.

The first call was answered by Andrew (not at all usual, but it happened). We talked for a while about what I wanted and agreed that for the sound I was looking for and what I was willing to spend on this "test" meant either an Opio 10S (my first thought) or a Pono ATD-SP. He said they were both great ukuleles, but thought I might be happier with the Pono because I wanted that "chimey" sound on the higher notes and the Pono was aimed more in that direction than the Opio, which focused a little more on the mids (middle strings in this case). Since I knew little about the Pono model, I said I would check it out.

After checking the Forum and every place else I could find for Pono ATD-SP info, I was intrigued by the 12-16 compound radius of the Pono, but still couldn't decide. On the second call Veronica transfered me to Joel. I explained my problem and told him I wanted to challenge his ability to create a very, very low setup without buzzing. I said I didn't mind losing some volume and the low setup was most important. When I told him I was interested in an Opio, he said that could be a problem for what I was asking. The reason was that to lower the saddle on the Opio as much as I wanted, he would have to work on the bridge. He even went into the warehouse to find the exact uke I liked and said the bridge would have to be modified. Since I didn't want anyone grinding on my new ukuklele's bridge, that was enough to tip the scales in favor of the Pono. Joel said the two ATD-SPs they had were not yet listed on theukulelesite.com, and he would send me pictures of them for me to choose.

After choosing the uke I liked best, I called again and this time Corey answered. He told me that he and Joel had talked about what I wanted and he tried the Pono I chose and liked the sound. We chatted for a few minutes and for the third time in the last couple of years, Corey took good care of me and made sure my order was processed correctly, including having Joel do the setup. All that was left was waiting for the uke.

It arrived. It's even better than I imagined! I love it! The combination of the radius fretboard and the extremely low setup makes it so incredibly easy to play, my pinky has never had it so good! I'm sure all of this has added a few more years to my enjoying playing the ukulele. I'm already thinking of selling a few ukes in order to save up for another radiused uke from HMS with Joel's setup.

I'm still amazed at the time they took with me, how they were willing to listen to me, and the care they took to make what I wanted happen. I have become an HMS Fanboy for life.

Last edited:
First, many CONGRATS to you on your new uke!!! And, oh, Ed1, I completely, TOTALLY understand what you describe regarding pain in the pinky while playing — or, really, any pain for that matter, while playing. I’ve been playing 10 years now, but it took the first three years of playing and trying several ukes (and having a lot of pain during that time) before I discovered HMS’ incredible customer service, products, and set-up process! The radius fretboard found on some Ponos models (some Deluxe and Pro Classic models) has been the ticket for me. That, in conjunction with the low-action set-up that I request from HMS, the 1 3/8” nut width on Ponos (1.5” is too wide for me and I have pain playing ukes with the 1.5” width), and I always get strap buttons so that I have no weight-bearing in my fretting hand.

Edit: I also have the ATD-SP with the radius fretboard, but mine is the cutaway model! LOVE IT!!! I also have a Pono Pro Classic sunburst tenor with the radius fretboard, and a Pono MTD-CR with the radius fretboard! All outstanding instruments that have given me so much joy to play!

Last edited:
Congrats on your successful search for a dealer and an uke that meets your needs. Working around arthritis is a pain and I am increasingly dealing with such issues.

You check off many of my boxes: radiused fretboard and one from HMS that is worked on by Joel! Enjoy your new uke for years to come!

About finger "arthritis", this is maybe not known and I am not sure it is right, this advice I am giving.

The so called calcium supplements can be really bad for everyones health. We have vitamin D that is supposed to take care of our bones, but it can lead the calcium to our soft tissues, like blood veins. My idea is that we don't need that much calcium, but instead perhaps Vitamin K2 to take care of what little we need, away from soft tissues. We westerners don't get K2 these days enough in our food. So to me it is like D I take as a vitamin.

I got my right hand index finger a little in pain today, but it is minor. With fretting hand my joints have never been strong enough to do any pull off thrills. So i can feel your problems.

Congratulations!
There is a special glove that you can wear to bed that helps arthritis sufferers. Don't let your hands get cold. i take turmeric, and it helps. yesterday after a long rehearsal I had to soak my hands in hot water and Epsom salts. I usually take a break from playing on Sundays.

Awesome. Enjoy your uke! :D

Top Bottom