Tenor Ukulele advice for Newbie

tds1

Reaction score
Getting ready to buy my first Ukulele!

Budget is about $250 or under ideally. I have read a number of forum threads, and was initially looking at Kala, but am becoming more convinced to buy an Ohana. Both seem similar quality, but there are more of the Ohana models that I am gravitating to.
Since I can't go somewhere and play any of them, it makes it harder to judge sound differences from an online video.

I have tried to prioritize my wish list, including:
Tenor size
Solid top (generally seems preferable to all laminate, or is that not correct?)
Slotted headstock (just like the look of it).
Generally trying to avoid mahogany, though no good reason for that other than looks.

Models I am considering are:
Ohana Tenor TK-50ME
Ohana Tenor TK-70R
Ohana TK-180M (all laminate, but looks beautiful)
Kala SS-EEBY-T (not slotted)

Would sound/build quality be similar on all of these? Any recommendations or just pick one and go for it? Any others I should really be considering? Appreciate the advice!!

While all of these are going to differ from each other, I don’t think any of them are bad choices and, honestly, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that you order from a reputable ukulele dealer who will set them up and they’ll be perfect for you to work on. As you get more and more familiar with the instrument, you might find yourself thinking “I wish the tone was warmer/brighter,” or something like that, but it only comes from experience so there’s no wrong answer at this point! Proceed and have fun!

Either of the solid Ohana. Call Mim https://mimsukes.com/
Ask her to play the cedar and spruce tops and see which you like better (although you can change the sound later to a degree with different strings)

Agree with Jim, call Mim. I believe she is one of the largest Ohana dealers in the US. She can give you pros and cons of different models and advice about the builds.

Some laminates have a boxy sound. Even with a solid top.

Best of luck. Ohanas are nice.

Since I have one, the Kala solid cedar top, acacia body slot head is what I would recommend. It's about $250 and I've seen very nice used ones for under $200. Mine became my gfo to uke for my gigs as soon as i bought, which was recommended by Mim.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Try the TK-70R, from Mim.
It is a great uke for the money. I have one for teaching beginners, and many of my students have gone with the model as well.

Thank you all for the great advice!
I am down to the Ohana Tenor TK-70R and the Kala KA-ATP-CTG.
Leaning towards the TK-70R.
Unfortunately just missed the one for sale in the used section here, and Mim doesn't have one listed in Tenor size (she does have one with pickup but don't need that).
She no longer carries Kala it seems.
So will likely have to order either one from another place.
Excited to start my Uke journey soon!!

Thank you all for the great advice!
I am down to the Ohana Tenor TK-70R and the Kala KA-ATP-CTG.
Leaning towards the TK-70R.
Unfortunately just missed the one for sale in the used section here, and Mim doesn't have one listed in Tenor size (she does have one with pickup but don't need that).
She no longer carries Kala it seems.
So will likely have to order either one from another place.
Excited to start my Uke journey soon!!

Although you may not be able to buy it from Mim, I think it's worth remembering that she is the only online store I saw that has put on her site that the rosewood is laminate. Although the other sites aren't dishonest for playing that game that the uke makers like to play, Mim is imo always the place to check first when buying an Ohana or similar uke from any company that makes the buyer work hard to know what he or she is getting.

Debated a bit too long, so Ohana TK-70R isn't available at either Mim's or Uke Republic, and Kala KA-ATP-CTG is gone from The Ukulele site.
So will have to wait and see which comes back in stock first!

Debated a bit too long, so Ohana TK-70R isn't available at either Mim's or Uke Republic, and Kala KA-ATP-CTG is gone from The Ukulele site.
So will have to wait and see which comes back in stock first!

FYI, the KA-ATP-CTG (both models, with and without cutaway) have been discontinued, so fewer new ones will be showing up for sale. Fortunately, they made lots of these, so there should be plenty of used ones around. I got a used one a while back, and it sounds great. It will be interesting to see what Kala comes up with to fill the void of these winners in their product line.

Last edited:
FYI, the KA-ATP-CTG (both models, with and without cutaway) have been discontinued, so fewer new ones will be showing up for sale. Fortunately, they made lots of these, so there should be plenty of used ones around. I got a used one a while back, and it sounds great. It will be interesting to see what Kala comes up with to fill the void of these winners in their product line.

I think the Kala KA-ASCP-T (it's an all-solid ukulele: cedar top and pau ferro back/sides) could be a good replacement.

I've owned both the KA-ACP-CTG and the KA-ASCP-C, which are the concert-sided versions of the ukuleles. They sound and play the same.
These are very good values in the ukulele market; and, if I want a cedar top, I'd be happy to buy them again.

I think the Kala KA-ASCP-T (it's an all-solid ukulele: cedar top and pau ferro back/sides) could be a good replacement.

I've owned both the KA-ACP-CTG and the KA-ASCP-C, which are the concert-sided versions of the ukuleles. They sound and play the same.
These are very good values in the ukulele market; and, if I want a cedar top, I'd be happy to buy them again.

Thank you - I have been looking at that one! A bit more than I was hoping to spend, but if a TK-70R or KA-ATP-CTG doesn't show up, may go that route. I do really like the look of it and want to get started on something soon!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
I waited for an Ohana TK-70R to appear, but it continued to be out of stock.
Kala restocked their Kala KA-ATP-CTG so I ordered one and am very pleased.
It's looks great and I love the sound. Course, I need to actually learn how to play (minor detail).
Have just gotten started on the Fender Play Ukulele course this week!

Congrats; this uke, along with its little brother KA-ACP-CTG, are highly regarded here.

Welcome. You've been sucked into the vortex and event horizon of the dark side. Now the real discussions arise: will you go low G? will you go to fluorocarbon? Will you give up salsa casera in lieu of a tomatillo-based salsa

Top Bottom