Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reclaimed Teardrop From a Redwood Picnic Table

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Any difficulties in the process? It looks lovely. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    No construction problems. The wood was very cooperative. It is soooo soft, I needed to be extra careful.

When I work with cedar and redwoods I have to make sure my fingernails are trimmed down close. Really soft
    My Real name is Terry Harris

It's a beautiful wood with such a sweet tone though, worth it in the end!

I just finished this special little redwood ukulele.
    One of the things that interests me about working with reclaimed wood is that you are giving it a third life. About a 1,000 years ago this redwood sprung up from the ground and started its first life as a tree. For a 1,000 years it provided food and shelter to countless animals, not to mention cleaning the air. In its second life it was fashioned into a picnic table, and saw a 1,000 hot dogs and burgers. It took on a patina from spilled ketchup, mustard, and a constant soaking of coke and kool-aid. Now in its third life it is ready for 1,000 songs. Maybe in the future it will have a forth life...like maybe a bird house?
    DSCF0101.jpg
    DSCF0102.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0108.jpg

Thanks David. Really excited to give "Bob" (grandfather's name) a go!

That is so pretty! I love redwood for instruments!

It is a very interesting topic. In general, I always like to be informed and interested in various topics and areas to be developed multilaterally, considering that it is an important aspect in life. For example, lately, I started to be passionate about furniture and that's when I needed new furniture for my house. I searched for a long time for something special and to my liking and I found exactly what I wanted from gardenfurniture.co.uk and I was very happy. From them, I learned things I didn't know until then and it was a beautiful experience.
    Last edited by Saraevo; 03-14-2021 at 12:28 AM.

I see that you use a Spanish heel joint on your teardrop. It certainly makes for a tight, gapless joint. The only drawback I personally see with that, is the neck can get in the way for the rest of the build. On the other hand, I have to spend a lot of time getting a tight fit with my butt join, bolt on method! However, my teardrops are based on the vintage Favilla design, which appears to have a butt joint.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    I see that you use a Spanish heel joint on your teardrop. It certainly makes for a tight, gapless joint. The only drawback I personally see with that, is the neck can get in the way for the rest of the build. On the other hand, I have to spend a lot of time getting a tight fit with my butt join, bolt on method! However, my teardrops are based on the vintage Favilla design, which appears to have a butt joint.
    Bob
    Right, the neck does get in the way, especially when adding edgebinding. The acoustic theory is that the Spanish heel does a better job of transferring string energy to the body from neck. The other advantage is that there is not chance for neck separation.

Thread Information