Season 446 - Rock and Metal

RAB11

Reaction score

GOOOOOOOOOD EVENING!

This week is dedicated to rock and metal. Now before you start panicking it is not about the musical genres, it's about the materials. Play me songs from one of the following three categories.

1) A song by any artist or band (or member thereof) with a type of rock or metal featuring in their name. For example the opening video features a song by Queens of the Stone Age and you can be as vague or specific as you like with this category

2) A song with a type of rock or metal in the title. Again, can be vaguely mentioning a type of rock or metal, or if you can find or write a song called Zirconium 951 then brilliant.

3) a song where rock or metal, figurative or literal, is the main focus of the lyrics. Don't want a pebble in the third verse, it has to be the main subject.

Originals, collaborations and multitracking is find as long as we remember this is an ukulele forum.

A few requests

1 - One song per day. Save room in the play list for other players
2 - This was in my mind before recent discussions but I'll put it here anyway. I'm on holiday and I won't be back home until Monday afternoon. I'll add videos to the play list as they come, and the start time will remain midnight Sunday in Hawaii, but I won't be able to listen or comment until then. It would be great if people could use that additional time to keep Kimi's season animated for a bit longer, or if you have played all you can there, maybe work on some new techniques you've been meaning to try. Attempt something new. And, if you feel so inspired, rock out.
3 - Have fun!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
As a professional geologist, I look forward to this Season. I will try to play something gneiss, not something that is full of schist. Whatever I play may be drenched in quartz of reverb, and I might play it at the open mica. I'm going to go make dinner now, because I've worked up an apatite.

As a professional geologist, I look forward to this Season. I will try to play something gneiss, not something that is full of schist. Whatever I play may be drenched in quartz of reverb, and I might play it at the open mica. I'm going to go make dinner now, because I've worked up an apatite.

He’ll be here all week! Tip your server :smileybounce:

A real tourmaline of force of geology puns Jim. I’m sure we are all excited to pick up the mantle And really make the bedrock this season.

GOODIE! I get to redeem my poor performance at ZOOM tonight in this season. THANK YOU, RYAN!!!

Solid opening effort guys. Now make sure your playing is stalactight ore I won't lava this week.

Here's a Joni Mitchell. But more Tom Rush's version. When googling I found a Dylan song with the same name but a different song - Tin Angel. Listened to one verse. Pretty good. Mysterious, biblical. Looked up chords and it had 29 verses...pass. I could do one verse for the next 29 years in Jon's short song seasons.
Didn't know much about Tom Rush except having heard of him. Certainly has a beautiful rich voice.
Cheers Ryan...thanks for showing up at the coalface.

Hello, Ryan ... a very "manly" theme for the week! Such a beautiful song, I just felt someone had to do it! This is a mercifully short version (there are a LOT of verses) ...

This is just perfect. Ryan is hosting, rock and metal is the theme, and I was compelled to try to learn this song a couple of nights ago and the fit just could not be sweeter to my mind.

I got a shock when I was practicing this in the car two nights ago while waiting for a job of work: I was parked by an open field (actually quite near the cemetery) and had just finished playing through the song when I heard someone say, "Uhhm." It was as if the car radio, which was silent, had turned itself on for a second to utter that one syllable in stereo from behind my head. It really made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! I asked out loud if Kurt Cobain was there listening to his song being played. I don't know for sure, but I took it as approval of some kind.

Too lazy to print the chord sheet and cross out the wrong transitions. So instead I messed up a lot and recorded about 16 takes. Printing would have caused less trouble.

Who says the old songs aren’t relevant any more? Great theme, Ryan!

If you’re inclined to do the gospel bits, go for it!

A diamond is a rock, and of course Judas Priest are metal, so I immediately thought of their version of Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez. If you only know the original Baez version, this one will come as a bit of a shock, as I really did decide to bring the metal. Also, the ukulele itself contains carbon fibers...

A diamond is a rock, and of course Judas Priest are metal, so I immediately thought of their version of Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez. If you only know the original Baez version, this one will come as a bit of a shock, as I really did decide to bring the metal. Also, the ukulele itself contains carbon fibers...

And rust is found on iron which is metal.

Nice job Greyghost!

Top Bottom