Season 446 - Rock and Metal

Having told the story of Topaz, I now offer you the story of Sapphire and Ruby.

I must confess the Ukulele plays a very small part in this composition. I have been furthering my exploration of Major Sevenths and Suspended Chords. Easy to program in Garage Band. But when I came to trying to learn the chords on the Baritone, I found there were just too many new positions to learn in the time left for the Season. So I hope this still counts. The "lead" instrument is after all a Baritone Ukulele.

Incidentally, I just learned this week that Joni Mitchell's first portable stringed instrument was not a guitar but a Baritone Ukulele. She couldn't afford a quality guitar, but a quality Baritone Uke was a lot cheaper. I wonder if there are any recordings of her using it.

The first time I saw Joni, in 1964, she was still Joni Anderson, but she was playing a guitar.

The first time I ever saw Gordon Lightfoot, (in 1962) he was in a group called The Two Tones. Gord played a tenor guitar tuned DGBE and his partner, Terry Whelan played a baritone uke, also tuned DGBE.

The Two Tones 2.jpg

Hey guys, just checking in again. I'm all caught up as of this post.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who has put an original up this week. Some really deep, thoughtful stuff and I can see people are trying to push the boat out on their playing which is really good to see.

Would be great to get a few more in before the new season, but if not it's been a blast.

I like Iron and Wine quite a bit and he seems to go well here:

For SoTU 446 I was looking for the opening credit tune to the televislon feast of comedy that is the televisual treat "3rd Rock From the Sun".
I found this little gem.by accident Be kind it is one take into the camera and only the third time that I have played it. To be fair the chord sequence /progression whatever is standard fare but it's quirky and I shall add it to my repertoire LOL.

Cheers CJ

Val did a good job on this one.My take is based on the Peter Sellers version cause I'm a goons fan

Titanium - David Guetta ft Sia

Here's a metal I haven't heard mentioned yet (except in the Elements song). How about a little Titanium?

This is a wonderful song ... at least when Sia sings it. Really fun to sing though!

"Vibranium" - "Titanium" parody for Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther)

Okay, so here's the real reason I learned "Titanium".

My first thought was, of course, let's do a "Vibranium" parody of "Titanium", to celebrate the life of heroic Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, who we'd just lost a day or two before the Season was announced.

This man was surely made of part vibranium, the (fictional) strongest material in the world, found on the earth only in the African nation of Wakanda, guided by its benevolent leader Black Panther.

For four years, he continued making movies, including "Black Panther" ... where he Did All His Own Stunts ... while receiving chemo for colon cancer ... and no one on set knew!

If steel is allowed, I'm sure fictional materials are good too, right?

My parody lyrics (below) encapsulate most of the plot of "Black Panther", so yeah, SPOILERS. But seriously - you haven't seen it yet? See it!!!

(I re-watched "Black Panther" on Disney+ the other night ... I did not remember enough of the plot to write this song without it. So you're forgiven if you don't remember most of this - I sure didn't.)

Code:
Vibranium (Titanium parody)
Chords & Lyrics

INTRO:  C-G-Am-Am x 2

VERSE:  C-G-Am-Am
We're hiding out
We have the strongest metal in the world
Behind a cloud, in Africa
We can't be found
We pretend we're just a dirt-poor land
If you found us out, there'd be a war

CHORUS:  F-G-Em7-Am
We have the best ... technology
We have remote-driving cars
We have the suits, they're bulletproof
They look like a necklace until
You need them, then they appear
We have vibranium
We can do ... anything
We have vibranium

SOLO:  F-G-Em7-Am x 2

VERSE:  C-G-Am-Am
I am the King
I became King when my father died
I won the challenge, I nearly died
I drank the herb ... my father appeared in a dream
He told me that, I would succeed

CHORUS:  F-G-Em7-Am
My sister's lab, gave me the suit
She invents everything
My girlfriend's a spy who
Saves other Africans
Our warriors ... are Amazons
We have vibranium
My cousin is Killmonger
He wants our vibranium

SOLO:  F-G-Em7-Am x 2

BRIDGE:  F-G-Em7-Am
Wakanda, forever
Black Panther will save the day
And then we ... will save the whole world

CHORUS:  F-G-Em7-Am / F-G-Am-Am
We'll share it ... with everyone
We'll share our vibranium
We'll start a ... foundation
To share our vibranium
We'll end all ... racism
'Cause we have vibranium
The UN won't listen
But we have vibranium

F-G-Em7-Am / F-G-Em7-Am / Am
We have vibranium
We have vibranium (end on Am)

Last edited:
For Seasons of the Ukulele # 446 Rocks and Minerals, a cover of Marty Robbin's Big Iron. Voice, concert ukulele, art and animation by me. Harmony, electric uke, and mix by Kevin Griffin. The majority of this was made in Adobe Animate in ONE WEEK! Boy, am I tired! Please let me know what you think :D

Here's a metal I haven't heard mentioned yet (except in the Elements song). How about a little Titanium?

This is a wonderful song ... at least when Sia sings it. Really fun to sing though!

I was wondering if this song would show up, awesome that you took it on!
I printed the chords myself, but didn't manage to make it work for me. So I missed this week :-/

Right. Season 446 is officially closed. Great to see a late flurry of entries, which I look forward to hearing tonight.

Now onwards to 447!

‘‘I’m a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm
And the scars that mark my body, they’re silver and gold’
-

(Agh, forgive the lateness of my entry!)

Last edited:
For Seasons of the Ukulele # 446 Rocks and Minerals, a cover of Marty Robbin's Big Iron. Voice, concert ukulele, art and animation by me. Harmony, electric uke, and mix by Kevin Griffin. The majority of this was made in Adobe Animate in ONE WEEK! Boy, am I tired! Please let me know what you think :D

I really love this one,I would never have thought that a song about gunfights in the Wild West would fit into the theme of Rock and Metal. To someone here in the UK these seemed like exciting times and I could never read or hear about them enough,a very disillusioned teen that was me!!

Top Bottom