Season 446 - Rock and Metal

A great song Geoff about an area I'm quite fond of despite rarely visiting these days. The song puts me in mind of Vin Garbutt who was a very popular enterainer when we had him at our little local club. Thanks for bringing back some great memories by posting this one

Thanks. Sadly, Vincent Garbutt is no longer with us.

You may cajole and you may cajole and you may cajole.....

This is a Cocteau Twins song.

SOTU 446 - "Gold" by John Stewart (1979). A pop hit for the Americana folk singer and former Kingston Trio member. He was helped out by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. Kevin and I recorded it and his place and were once again upstaged by the cat.

My sons were pre-schoolers when this song came out and I must've taught them well, because when they heard the line, "Jumped into my car and I throw in my guitar," they said, "That's no way to treat a guitar is it Papa? You should place it carefully in your car, not throw it."

Good job Guys. I'd almost forgotten about this song, but it's a good one.

a song kevin and i recorded today
inspired by Joko's superb cover

Right, I am all caught up again now. Apologies for not being a particularly proactive host. Life keeps getting in the way. I am loving everything that is coming through, but metal and in particular Gold seems to be leading the way. Let's get some rocks in!

Yes Geoff, I saw about his death on local news a couple of years ago,a great loss to the North East folk music scene

Howdy Gang !

Well for Season 446 "Rock & Metal" songs about metals and rock, i was going to do a George Jones & Tammi Wynettte song as there was no way i could play iron man by Black Sabbath so as a homage to The legendary group i wrote my own song, i apologise for it may be out of time and many other faults,but it was crafted with love,when it comes to using DAW programmes I am like a 14 year old virgin fumbling with his first bra straps, so forgive me my mistakes and I hope there is some joy in it,even if it makes you laugh at me,cheers for listening.

Some bad noise, inspired by a distortion pedal and the song "Raudmees" (Iron Man, 1986) by an Estonian heavy metal pioneer Gunnar Graps. This song's iron man is not a superhero or a triathlete, but rather somebody who works in the factory.

Let's get some rocks in!
Here you go!

I've made several attempts at Paul Simon songs that didn't work out. Finally got one! I'm kind of regretting not saving the failures to go back and measure progress against, but you're all better off not having heard them. Not that I care about your opinions, 'cause I am a Rock. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. :) Ooh. Theme idea: "Lying to myself"

Here's a tune written by Nat Adderly with lyrics by Oscar Brown Jr.
Oscar is my favourite male jazz singer and I wore out a few of his LPs when i was in high school. I want to thank Wee-Ginga-Yin for posting Rags-Old Iron and getting me thinking about Oscar.
Bob Dylan's first LP made mention of Oscar in the liner notes. He said that he wrote Bob Dylan's Dream after an all night hang with Oscar. "Oscar is a groovy guy," said Dylan.
Here's Work Song.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've managed three songs in a week... This one comes after I attending an online meeting for work... hence the tie.

Having told the story of Topaz, I now offer you the story of Sapphire and Ruby.

I must confess the Ukulele plays a very small part in this composition. I have been furthering my exploration of Major Sevenths and Suspended Chords. Easy to program in Garage Band. But when I came to trying to learn the chords on the Baritone, I found there were just too many new positions to learn in the time left for the Season. So I hope this still counts. The "lead" instrument is after all a Baritone Ukulele.

Incidentally, I just learned this week that Joni Mitchell's first portable stringed instrument was not a guitar but a Baritone Ukulele. She couldn't afford a quality guitar, but a quality Baritone Uke was a lot cheaper. I wonder if there are any recordings of her using it.

So, anyway, here (on the surface at least) is the tragic story of two sisters whose lives diverged wildly.... Or you may find it references other issue than sororicide.

Enjoy:

Sinking (like a stone)

I thought maybe the camera would love me a bit more if I treated it to a little smear of vaseline. :)

Top Bottom