Season 446 - Rock and Metal

For Season 446, Metal and Rock, we're playing songs with some kind of connection to rocks and metal in the title, the lyrics, or the artist name. Here's Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", for tenor ukulele and singing, with overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal.

After recording this, I started to have my doubts that steel is metal, even though we commonly refer to things that are made of steel as "metal". And indeed, low and behold, I was correct to have doubted, as I found this little bit of science:
Steel, being an alloy and therefore not a pure element, is not technically a metal but a variation on one instead. It's partially composed of a metal, iron, but because it also has non-metal carbon in its chemical make-up, it's not a pure metal.
Thus I figured I'm kind of "Thornton-ing" this one in.

Last edited:
For the purposes of this season Steel is of course a metal.

Looking like a fantastic start already. Can't wait to get listening.

Nina Simone song for which i invented chords for my taste and which approximates
the tune and feel of the song.

thank you for this week brother
a tyler childers song that kev and i did today

For the purposes of this season Steel is of course a metal.

Of course it is. The metallurgy course I did in my degree was mostly about steel.

Nina Simone song for which i invented chords for my taste and which approximates
the tune and feel of the song.

I love Nina Simone's music. I once hitch-hiked from Dundas, Ontario to Buffalo NY to see her sing and play. I got home after the sun was up. I have never heard her do this Oscar Brown Jr. song, but I'm sure she did a fine job. Have you heard Oscar's version?

Thanks for that Wee-Ginga-Yin. Nice job!

Back home long enough to
a) have a proper haircut
b) paint a bathroom which has been there all lockdown, nagging at me...
c) figure out which fret the capo needs to be on for me to sing a Spandau Ballet song.

I love Nina Simone's music. I once hitch-hiked from Dundas, Ontario to Buffalo NY to see her sing and play. I got home after the sun was up. I have never heard her do this Oscar Brown Jr. song, but I'm sure she did a fine job. Have you heard Oscar's version?

Thanks for that Wee-Ginga-Yin. Nice job!

once you mentioned his name I gave it a listen and he a very fine jazz singer. I liked it a lot

there are a lot of songs called "silver and gold." this one's a bobby charles song that i first heard on joe strummer's posthumous album streetcore.

Rock!

Right, I've finally had chance to listen to everything. Absolutely phenomenal start to the week. Joko mentioned the Playlist link was broken. Redone the link and it should work now.

In the pines/Where did you sleep last night.

Traditional, but a lot of people think it was written by Leadbelly. It is a bit of a one take wonder. I've never played it before, and I'm reading the words off the Internet.

I will revisit this with a bit more effort in future. It's a great song.

Last edited:
SOTU 446 - "Two Silver Hearts" by Shake Russell, Texas singer-songwriter. Shake wrote this very early in his career - it appeared on his first record and he still plays in regularly. It might have been better suited to Valentine's Day, but I couldn't get it out my head - it's a very sweet tune.

Paint it black, The rolling stones. Also working on the 30 day ukulele challenge so I thought Paint it black would fit both the rock theme of SOTU and the color theme of the first week of 30 Day Ukulele challenge

Last edited:
Paint it black, The rolling stones. Also working on the 30 day ukulele challenge so I thought Paint it black would fit both the rock theme of SOTU and the color theme of the first week of 30 Day Ukulele challenge
is that you Kimi under a pseudonym?
loved this

Top Bottom