Season 446 - Rock and Metal

Right, I'm now caught up from yesterday afternoon / last night. You guys are bringing some brilliant stuff this week, can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings.

Ahoy
I was thinking of trying out a few things related to rocks/mountains/cliffs when I thought of trying out Tom Lehrers Element song, since it includes all of the metals.
It took a few attempts and there are a few elements I just can't pronounce correctly 😂

The narrator looks back on a relationship that was perfect... until he blew it.

Hope you like:

I've featured a few songs by Graeme Miles many of whose songs capture industrial Teesside. Middlesbrough's prosperity in the 19th and early 20th century was built on iron and this song reflects that. The iron and steel industry has now all gone, though. This song was originally written in 1961 when iron and steel was still a major industry in the area.

It took a few attempts and there are a few elements I just can't pronounce correctly ��

Even the chemists disagree. In the US it’s plain old Aluminum. Everywhere else it’s Aluminium (-inium to be consistent with all the other -inium’s). Not sure why that is but I do a double take every time I hear it.

Right, this mornings catch up was short and sweet. I'm off work for the rest of the week now so keep them coming!

Another song about gold. A beautiful one by Peter Blegvad.
I like the lyrics very much and want to share it.
It has many words. You can't find the lyrics online.
Here are some of the words:

"Gold would be worthless if it didn't require
Such heartbreak to seek it, to find it and mine it
Things remain precious as long as they are rare
If gold could be found lying around everywhere
It would be the lowliest of metals
Too soft for serious use
Pretty, of course and warm to the touch
But no longer alluring when you've handled so much"

Thank you so much for hosting, Ryan!

Jon and Kevin covered a Tyler Childers song for this very week, and this was the first I'd heard of this artist. I was immediately a fan and fortunately, Tyler has another tune with 'stone' in the title.

Another one with precious metals in the title. Man. Linda Ronstadt. What voice she had (and I never will).

And rust is found on iron which is metal.

Nice job Greyghost!

I've featured a few songs by Graeme Miles many of whose songs capture industrial Teesside. Middlesbrough's prosperity in the 19th and early 20th century was built on iron and this song reflects that. The iron and steel industry has now all gone, though. This song was originally written in 1961 when iron and steel was still a major industry in the area.

A great song Geoff about an area I'm quite fond of despite rarely visiting these days. The song puts me in mind of Vin Garbutt who was a very popular enterainer when we had him at our little local club. Thanks for bringing back some great memories by posting this one

SOTU 446 - "Gold" by John Stewart (1979). A pop hit for the Americana folk singer and former Kingston Trio member. He was helped out by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. Kevin and I recorded it and his place and were once again upstaged by the cat.

I decided to risk gettin' a moustache hair pulled today, so I got out the old harp rack to try a little Hoagy Carmichael ditty from 1929 with the word "rock" (Well, "rockin'" actually) in the title. Probably I should've done this sitting in the front porch rocking chair, but I just thought of it now and I'm not up to a re-do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom