Kiwaya KTS-4 or something else?

Loska

Reaction score
Recently I have been more and more playing with an idea of getting a soprano ukulele. I would like to have an all solid wood traditional one with warm and sweet sound, with somewhat slender neck profile.

At first I thought a koa soprano, like Kamaka, but as I already have two Hawaiian K concerts, would it be fun to have something different?

After a lot of googling and listening I think that maybe a Kiwaya KTS-4 would meet the criteria above?

To my mind there are really two traditional sopranos: the Hawaiian type, usually koa; and the the Martin type, generally mahogany. There's some overlap of course, but each found its home in different areas of music, so that should influence your choice.

I adore the mahogany Kiwaya sopranos, simply beautiful instruments to play. My own Kiwaya is actually a mahogany concert (the only concert I own) and I can't fault it; a matching soprano is definitely on the cards for me at some point. If you like that typical vaudeville and 20s sound then it's hard to do better for the price.

Recently I have been more and more playing with an idea of getting a soprano ukulele. I would like to have an all solid wood traditional one with warm and sweet sound, with somewhat slender neck profile.

At first I thought a koa soprano, like Kamaka, but as I already have two Hawaiian K concerts, would it be fun to have something different?

After a lot of googling and listening I think that maybe a Kiwaya KTS-4 would meet the criteria above?

Yes, I think it meets your criteria. The KTS-5 has an extended fretboard, if that matters to you. Lovely instruments with a great sound and easy to play.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Kiwaya, but the KTS-4 is basically the quintessential mahogany soprano and is excellent quality for the price. I'd say the only niggle I have with it is that it's made out of not-quite-as-nice mahogany as the KTS-7 which is made out of premium Honduran mahogany which makes the sound a bit warmer and nicer. But then again, it's almost double the price of the KTS-4. I'd say it's one of the safest bets you can make if you're after a traditional soprano. As mentioned above, you can consider the KTS-5 if you want more than 12 frets.

I once owned a KTS-4, and it's the one soprano I do regret selling. If you desire a slender neck profile with a warm sweet tone, this uke is definitely it! Although it's not as "vintage" sounding as a Martin or Timms, it definitely stacks up. I've played many soprano's both custom and stock, and the KTS-4 is definitely one of my faves. Enough so that I will acquire another someday.

I see my favorite brand has been well represented here. :)

To my ears, Kamaka wins the sound compare easily. I was a bit biased in that I tried to like the Kiwaya in the compare (I wanted to buy one), but the Kamaka was too obvious.

Since that particular video was brought up, I need to mention a few additional details. It's a good comparison because both ukes are strung with the same strings, Worth BMs. But the issue there is that, in my opinion, they suit the Kiwaya much better. Coincidentally, I'm in the process of trying different strings on my Kamaka and just switched to Worth BMs. They make the Kamaka much brighter and hide the quintessential warm and mellow Kamaka sound almost completely. I personally want the Kamaka to sound more like with the stock strings so I'll be changing the Worths to some sort of nylon strings, but if you like a brighter sound for the Kamaka then there's no issue really (the Worth BMs actually have much better intonation than any other strings I've tried so far). Since you already have the Kamaka concert you could just get the soprano and put different kind of strings on it for a different sound. With fluorocarbon strings, the difference between the Kamaka and Kiwaya is much smaller. I'd say the Kamaka sounds slightly brighter and sweeter with that typical koa sound and the Kiwaya is darker in sound as a typical mahogany soprano would be. I don't think you can go wrong with either but the Kiwaya is noticeably cheaper.

Since that particular video was brought up, I need to mention a few additional details. It's a good comparison because both ukes are strung with the same strings, Worth BMs. But the issue there is that, in my opinion, they suit the Kiwaya much better. Coincidentally, I'm in the process of trying different strings on my Kamaka and just switched to Worth BMs. They make the Kamaka much brighter and hide the quintessential warm and mellow Kamaka sound almost completely. I personally want the Kamaka to sound more like with the stock strings so I'll be changing the Worths to some sort of nylon strings, but if you like a brighter sound for the Kamaka then there's no issue really (the Worth BMs actually have much better intonation than any other strings I've tried so far). Since you already have the Kamaka concert you could just get the soprano and put different kind of strings on it for a different sound. With fluorocarbon strings, the difference between the Kamaka and Kiwaya is much smaller. I'd say the Kamaka sounds slightly brighter and sweeter with that typical koa sound and the Kiwaya is darker in sound as a typical mahogany soprano would be. I don't think you can go wrong with either but the Kiwaya is noticeably cheaper.

If you are changing strings, could please you record some sound samples of the old and new? I think that can benefit many people.

Have you considered a KoAloha?

I recently received a KoAloha KSM-02. Now, I think I can understand why so many people like them.

I don't think it sounds as full as the Kamaka, but it isn't bad at all. IMHO, it beats the Kiwaya in your video.

BTW, I think the Kamaka HF-1 has a little cheat in that it has an arched back.

The price is a factor here. The Kamaka costs almost twice as much than KTS-4. And I already have a Kamaka concert.

The strings make a huge difference. I use completely different kind of strings on Kanilea than Kamaka. I thought that I would prefer fluorocarbons in Kamaka too, but so far I have really enjoyed the sound of the nylon strings.

When I started playing an ukulele I thought that I wouldn't want a soprano, it is too small and twangy. But little I knew. I came across to Samantha Muirs videos and completely changed my mind. A few weeks ago I got to play a soprano that belongs to a friend of mine and it was so much fun. Then I started seriously looking for one.

The Kiwaya seems to be a good choice for me. It wouldn't break the bank and it is a well built quality instrument, which is very important to me. The neck profile sounds great and I don't need more frets (for now at least).

I think money is a factor to most of us; that's why we need to be smart and selective about what we buy as mistakes means money-losing ukulele sales. The way I see it is that these ukuleles are not one of a kind; they are mass produced and will always be around for purchase. So waiting does not do any harm.

Have you considered Kala KA-SSLNG? It is 4 times cheaper than the Kiwaya KTS4 and, in terms of sound quality, compares nicely to the video. I'll put it up against my KoAloha in terms of sound quality. It is spruce top vs koa, so the tone is different, but the tone is not worse. These long neck sopranos can make playing easier for you too since you play concerts. I think I'll put a sound test between the two. The Kala is really amazing for $150.

If you are changing strings, could please you record some sound samples of the old and new? I think that can benefit many people.

Sure thing! I'm glad I saw your post as I was just starting to change the strings. :D I recorded a little snippet of my typical playing (i.e., bad). I'm going to try D'Addario black nylons next which are basically the same as the Kamaka strings. I do have to let them stretch for quite a bit so it'll probably take me at least a couple of days before I'll record a comparison.

BTW, there is a KoAloha pineapple soprano available at Gute Ukulele: https://gute-ukulele.de/collections/ukulelen-1/products/koaloha-ksm-01-sopran-pineapple
They stock KoAloha quite often so keep your eye out if you want a regular soprano. You could also go for the Opio models as well, all acacia or spruce top. They're obviously not quite as nice as a Hawaiian-made KoAloha but very close and cheaper than the Kiwaya. I really like my KoAloha soprano. It's very different to either of the other K brands, very bright indeed, but I think the Kiwaya might still suit you better.

@Dohle Thank you! I look forward to listening to your samples.

I am always very impressed with Kiwaya in all respects. You certainly could not go wrong with one

@Dohle Thank you! I look forward to listening to your samples.

Ok, here it is. Comparison of Worth BMs and D'Addario Black Nylons on a Kamaka HF-1: https://soundcloud.com/user-6286586...orth-bm-vs-daddario-black-nylon/s-ECXxPgM38MW

As ever, I do apologize for my fumbling, particularly on the fingerpicking parts. I don't know how well you're able to tell the difference between the different strings but at least you can hear the lack of projection and added warmth on the black nylons, where as the Worth BMs sound brighter, which is hardly a surprise. Also, I do realise this isn't really the proper thread for discussing different strings on a Kamaka so I'll probably either find or make a new thread that's more suitable.

Ok, here it is. Comparison of Worth BMs and D'Addario Black Nylons on a Kamaka HF-1: https://soundcloud.com/user-6286586...orth-bm-vs-daddario-black-nylon/s-ECXxPgM38MW

As ever, I do apologize for my fumbling, particularly on the fingerpicking parts. I don't know how well you're able to tell the difference between the different strings but at least you can hear the lack of projection and added warmth on the black nylons, where as the Worth BMs sound brighter, which is hardly a surprise. Also, I do realise this isn't really the proper thread for discussing different strings on a Kamaka so I'll probably either find or make a new thread that's more suitable.

Thanks Dohle! As I'm still wondering which brand would suit me best, this kind of comparison is more than welcome.

The Worth BM sound great. They have a nice balance of warmth and sparkle. The black nylon are also very appealing. It is a different quality, but they have a good clarity and roundness. I would probably lean toward those for a more unique sound from other instruments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom